657 replies to this topic

#21 PeterParker FX

PeterParker FX

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 05:51 AM

Do you know what the best thing is? We'll even get a demo *drool* :-)

Steve

#22 tigital

tigital

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 12:32 PM

...update time!

...last nite I incorporated Taylor's patch for freespace 1 support, and immediately came across a model loading byteswap problem...this was easily fixed,  which allowed me to play the first training mission!  Unfortunately, still having problems with primary weapons, so it's back to the drawing board for that :-(

...otoh, I was able to finally test out the mve playing code (used for intros and cutscenes), and it works, but verrrrry slooooowly, and with no sound at present...haven't looked at that code, but we're going in the right direction!

...as far as what minimum requirements will be necessary, I have no idea!  OS X for now, but it should be compilable on OS 9, too...we'll just have to see, once I get this bizarre laser problem fixed...

...also, still don't have the fs2 disk, it is rare, and most of the ebay auctions are going for $30-40!  Since I have one of the $9.99 dual packs of fs1, and they're readily available, that's where I'll focus development...plus the demo's!

l8r

#23 Amon CMB

Amon CMB

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 01:37 PM

tigital, I think Freespace 2 uses Radgametools' Bink (or Smacker) video technology.

http://www.radgametools.com/

They have some developer tools available.

#24 mbravos

mbravos

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 02:37 PM

Hello?  I posted earlier that I've got a Freespace 2 disk waiting for somebody for the asking.  I'd be happy to "loan" it out to whoever is doing all this work.

#25 garymm@mac.com

garymm@mac.com

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 07:05 PM

My friend just beat FS2, he said it was awesome, maybe he'll loan it to me. Email me if you're interested. garymm@mac.com

#26 Lucian

Lucian

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3028 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 07:25 PM

I'm sure you all understand this already, but this is for the people who might not.  If you are to offer your own or your friend's Freespace 2 CDs to tigital, they must be the original game CDs.
I live in Mexifornia.

#27 garymm@mac.com

garymm@mac.com

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 12:18 AM

yeah, he just beat it, so I don't think he'd mind giving it up for a while. Plus, can't he just rip the code and then give it back?

#28 PeterParker FX

PeterParker FX

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 08:30 AM

yeah, he just beat it, so I don't think he'd mind giving it up for a while. Plus, can't he just rip the code and then give it back?
  Huh? You know that the port will need the CD for graphics, movies, scripts, sounds, etc?

Steve

#29 garymm@mac.com

garymm@mac.com

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 01:01 PM

yes, I know that, but since there's "cd not inserted" crap in the mac version, it should be possible to copy the necessary files to one's hard drive and then play.

#30 Amon CMB

Amon CMB

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 10:12 AM

I looked everywhere but I couldn't find FS2... Looks like the only option is to shell out big bucks on eBay.

#31 novaurora

novaurora

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 12:35 AM

Hello,

I have original copies of Descent: Freespace including the Silent Threat expansion as well as FreeSpace 2: Sci-Fi Sim of the Year Edition. Basically I have it all, original copies that work. I would be willing to donate for just a little advertising for my web design company. :-) Contact me and we can arrange mailing.

Thank you,
Jason

#32 placy

placy

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 08:00 PM

Not to say "I told you so" or anything, but check out
the thread I started back in April 2002 and the
encouraging responses it generated   :)

http://www.insidemac...ght=freespace 2

#33 novaurora

novaurora

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 08:08 PM

I'm not following. I know the source code is out there but I thought you needed all the movies, music, and data that could only be found on the CDs. Hence I was willing to donate. What does this reply mean?

#34 placy

placy

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 08:19 PM

I'm not following. I know the source code is out there but I thought you needed all the movies, music, and data that could only be found on the CDs. Hence I was willing to donate. What does this reply mean?

Nothing. I was refering to the general thread topic
(or is that general topic thread?).

#35 Tycho Celchu

Tycho Celchu

Godlike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2470 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 08:22 PM

I have been playing with the GTKRadiant stuff he's got on the site. I knew about this for a long time.....So is it possible to build GTKRadiant from the stuff on your site?
"To be great is to be misunderstood" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

#36 Amon CMB

Amon CMB

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 06:56 PM

I have FS2 platinum edition.. But I don't wanna let go of it.. arghh... Heh.

#37 brlsc

brlsc

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 09:53 PM

It's been a little while and I have been waiting to hear more information on Freespace and the Silent Threat.  Is it coming along?  Has the developer run into problems?  I only want to be up to date on what's going on.

#38 tigital

tigital

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 March 2003 - 02:16 PM

...sorry I've been incommunicado lately, but I'm working on visuals for a theatre production, and that has sucked up all my free time...

...however, I did want to give a bit of an update on where freespace1/2 is:

- finally solved the mystery problem of primary weapons having no effect, so the game is now PLAYABLE!  (btw, after a little playtesting, I have to say the game is quite fun ;-) )

- hacked in a method for determining the applications location on the disk, which allows me to build a standalone that can be installed anywhere on the harddrive (as long as it's in the same folder as the datafiles)...also, the app package includes the SDL and OpenAL frameworks, so they don't need to be installed...

...the main thing's that are holding up a beta release are my schedule over the next week, and a weird sound problem that makes the "main_amb.wav" (which is the "ambient sound" played at the start) sound like white noise, which is very startling, and so far has caused many testers to think that something is horribly wrong...

...so, in the next week, my theatre project opens, which'll give me lotsa open time to address the sound...so hang in there!

l8r,
jamie

ps:  thanks for the offer of disks, but I already wrangled a copy

- yes, it should work with German language (and possibly Polish?)

- yes, you can build usable GTkRadiant 1.1 from the stuff on my site, but that is really old, and you shouldn't really waste your time:  go ahead a grab the cvs for 1.2/1.3 and build it, it runs very nicely...if ya can't build it, then sit on the edge of your seat while people iron out the issues with install scripts!

#39 JGabrielli

JGabrielli

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 17 March 2003 - 05:44 PM

well how cool is this.  I've had Freespace 2 in a shrink wrapped box now for years, got it from a friend who didn't realize it was pc only.  Guess he was right, just a few years off.  Guess it's also time to break the shrink wrapping and get ready for some fun.  ;)
Cheers
Joe

PS thanks tdigital :)

#40 PeterParker FX

PeterParker FX

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 01:46 PM

well how cool is this.  I've had Freespace 2 in a shrink wrapped box now for years, got it from a friend who didn't realize it was pc only.  Guess he was right, just a few years off.  Guess it's also time to break the shrink wrapping and get ready for some fun.  ;)
Cheers
Joe

PS thanks tdigital :)

I can just second this. Thanks a lot, actually!
I'll run out pretty soon and look for Freespace 2 and 1 in stores, I'll see if I'll get them somewhere.. do you think that you could post more screenies tdigital?

steve