Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Steam Name:Triton
  • Steam ID:triton98

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:41 AM

Hello gents,

Figured I'd ask for help around here since you guys have been around the block before. I very recently bought new edifier s350db speakers for computer, and there is a high pitch squeal coming from them whenever i have them connected to an audio source. It's sort of subtle enough to be drowned out when playing or watching something, but it's still there and it's damn annoying.

I have two connections that I've tried, I used an optical connection to my PC and it squeals while connected to it, once I unplug the cable from my computer it stops however. I also tried bluetooth with my phone and I was surprised that the squealing happened there too.

Any ideas/advice?
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

Poseidon - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS High Seirra 10.13.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

My GOG name is ipickert55, feel free to add me!

#2 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:42 AM

That sounds like a hardware defect! With the optical and bluetooth connections, it can't be current parasites from the audio source.

Even high end gear (which your powered speakers isn't) can have such problems: I remember buying a Rotel preamp whose left channel sound was louder than the right, despite balance being set at neutral: the preamp was replaced and the problem was gone.

#3 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Steam Name:Triton
  • Steam ID:triton98

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:09 AM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 13 January 2018 - 02:42 AM, said:

That sounds like a hardware defect! With the optical and bluetooth connections, it can't be current parasites from the audio source.

Even high end gear (which your powered speakers isn't) can have such problems: I remember buying a Rotel preamp whose left channel sound was louder than the right, despite balance being set at neutral: the preamp was replaced and the problem was gone.

I thought it could be that, didn't want it to be cause these are so new :( I sent Edifier an email about it so hopefully they'll get back to me.
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

Poseidon - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS High Seirra 10.13.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

My GOG name is ipickert55, feel free to add me!

#4 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1796 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:54 PM

It does sound like the speakers are defective. I have encountered this once, a long time ago. I brought the speakers to the company that made them and interestingly an audio engineer there could not hear the sound that I could easily reproduce with a particular recording. Ultimately I left there with a replacement pair of speakers that did not have this defect.

If they are still under warranty I would just ask for refund or replacement.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell