Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Steam Name:ipickert55
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:02 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 10 January 2018 - 09:14 AM, said:

I stopped caring after Star Trek The Next Generation. The one exception for me was the recent movie with a new young Spock and Kirk which I forget the name of but I thought it was well done and I enjoyed it. I still haven't seen the follow up to that yet but I want to at some point.

That's just called Star Trek (2009). I would recommend watching the sequels, even though i didnt like into darkness its still a good action movie, same with beyond.
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

Poseidon - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS High Seirra 10.13.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

#22 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6171 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:57 AM

View PostG_Player, on 10 January 2018 - 02:49 AM, said:

Galaxy Quest was the best parody of Star Trek TOS.
"Never give up! Never surrender!"

Galaxy Quest was frakking gold. Even Trek alums thought so.

I remember hearing apparently Patrick Stewart didn't want to see it because he thought it was running down Star Trek and would just be a popsnizzlety parody. So Jonathan Frakes rang him and convinced him to go to it... he ended up laughing harder than anyone else in the theater.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 8086K / 32GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 960 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN Xp 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 2001) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Micron M600 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#23 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3945 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:00 AM

View PostFrost, on 11 January 2018 - 04:57 AM, said:

Galaxy Quest was frakking gold. Even Trek alums thought so.

I remember hearing apparently Patrick Stewart didn't want to see it because he thought it was running down Star Trek and would just be a popsnizzlety parody. So Jonathan Frakes rang him and convinced him to go to it... he ended up laughing harder than anyone else in the theater.
Hmmm, I have it like that. Maybe I should watch it after all..
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#24 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6171 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:34 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 11 January 2018 - 07:00 AM, said:

Hmmm, I have it like that. Maybe I should watch it after all..

It is probably the best example I can think of of parody done well. Pokes fun at the source material and well-known issues on it mercilessly, and yet it's always in a comedic way without ever getting a vindictive streak about it as happens so often with parody, and actually has a decent story tying the whole thing together too. It makes great fun of Star Trek and yet manages to do so without putting it down and even nods to the positive aspects while poking fun.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 8086K / 32GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 960 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN Xp 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 2001) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Micron M600 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#25 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:25 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 09 January 2018 - 03:47 AM, said:

After that, I will take on DS9. It's the only piece of Star Trek I haven't watched, surprisingly (It never aired on my local tv channels back when I was young, so I haven't gotten any personal attachment to it).

Go watch DS9 ASAP sir!
:-D
Right now i am at the begining of 6th season. My 2nd rewatch of entire series. First season or two is not that great but after that you'll love it forever.

#26 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3945 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:38 AM

People keep saying TNG season 1 and 2 was mediocre. I loved the hell out of it. I'll likely enjoy DS9 season 1 and 2 too.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#27 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1528 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:09 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 12 January 2018 - 05:38 AM, said:

People keep saying TNG season 1 and 2 was mediocre. I loved the hell out of it. I'll likely enjoy DS9 season 1 and 2 too.

Season 1 was mediocre (the Wesley episodes, ugh). Season 2 was much better but the show didnít find its groove till Season 3.

DS9ís pilot isnít that good but overall, it has  one of the strongest season ones, IMO. The writers were coming from TNG so they knew what they were doing (sadly, thatís also why TNG dropped in quality by the end). But like TNG it also gets better over time. Some of the acting is really rough in the beginning too. Once Worf gets to the show it finds its rhythm.

But I like Discovery, so what do I know?

#28 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:41 AM

View PostCougar, on 12 January 2018 - 10:09 AM, said:

But I like Discovery, so what do I know?

You know what you like.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#29 Tibur

Tibur

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:52 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 12 January 2018 - 05:38 AM, said:

I'm early into season 2 of DS9 and I cannot imagine why some people think this is the best Trek series. So. Many. Characters. To. Hate. So far, Quark is the only tolerable character on the show. Don't @ me.

#30 G_Player

G_Player

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:56 PM

Activate the Omega-13 !  : P
Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff!

#31 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8253 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:56 PM

View PostTibur, on 12 January 2018 - 12:52 PM, said:

I'm early into season 2 of DS9 and I cannot imagine why some people think this is the best Trek series. So. Many. Characters. To. Hate. So far, Quark is the only tolerable character on the show. Don't @ me.
Wait until you reach the end of season 2. The show gets definitely better then and (most of) the characters get better fleshed out.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#32 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1528 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:43 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 12 January 2018 - 12:56 PM, said:

Wait until you reach the end of season 2. The show gets definitely better then and (most of) the characters get better fleshed out.

IDK, I didn't hate any of the characters in any season of DS9. Yes, they get better developed, but they were never unlikeable. Certainly not to the extent I hated Wesley, Deanna "I sense deception" Troi, Q, and Guinan. Even Picard in S1 is a bit of a dick.

Maybe Bashir, but that's more to do with his bad acting in the beginning than how he was written.

#33 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3945 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:24 AM

View PostCougar, on 12 January 2018 - 04:43 PM, said:

IDK, I didn't hate any of the characters in any season of DS9. Yes, they get better developed, but they were never unlikeable. Certainly not to the extent I hated Wesley, Deanna "I sense deception" Troi, Q, and Guinan. Even Picard in S1 is a bit of a dick.

Maybe Bashir, but that's more to do with his bad acting in the beginning than how he was written.
Wesley, I can understand that, but otherwise are you actually sure you liked TNG? O_o

#34 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1528 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:42 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 13 January 2018 - 02:24 AM, said:

Wesley, I can understand that, but otherwise are you actually sure you liked TNG? O_o

If Picard had not improved and become awesome, I probably would have stopped. And Worf was consistently awesome.

But yeah, if it werenít for Patrick Stewart I donít know if I could have gotten through it.

#35 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2193 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:25 AM

View PostTibur, on 12 January 2018 - 12:52 PM, said:

... you dont like Garak?  Hes probably the best character on the entire show.

#36 Tibur

Tibur

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:58 AM

View PostTetsuya, on 17 January 2018 - 03:25 AM, said:

... you dont like Garak?  Hes probably the best character on the entire show.
Garak is fine so far, but given that he is invariably paired with the oleaginous Dr. Bashir, it makes it hard for me to "like" him as much.  Apparently Bashir (and the show) improve so when I have some free time, I'll get back to it.

And don't get me wrong. I've rewatched TNG (still my favorite ST series by far) and asked myself how that show got renewed after the 1st season, so I know that shows and characters have growing pains.

#37 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2193 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:19 PM

Ugh, yeah, everyone was so stiff and awkward during Season 1 of TNG.  Even parts of S2.  

DS9’s first season issue is primarily a “trying to find our niche” issue.  Most of the actors were far more fluid and “in character” (though some, like Colm Meany had a bit of an unfair advantage) thaN TNGs early shows, but they just didnt seem to know what kind of stories they were trying to tell.  

Garak, though.... Andrew Robinson was spot-on from minute one.  One of my favorite Garak quotes, from the episode “The Wire”...

"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."

#38 Steve Ballmer

Steve Ballmer

The Original Fake Steve Ballmer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 11:25 PM

I loved Gul Dukat!
Posted Image
"Steve Ballmer, yes"
The Secret Diary of Steve Ballmer - "I am not Steve Ballmer pretending not to be me"

#39 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3945 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 02:03 PM

I am almost finished with season 1 of DISCO and have come to the following conclusions

I like:
The updated bling bling.
Bigger, better sets.
Better CGI.
The characters Lorca, Culber, Stamets, Saru.
Proper action fights.

I dislike:
The sporedrive.
The characters Burnham, Tyler.

I loathe:
The super magical spore drive.
The raped klingons.
The raped chronology.
The character Tilly.
The lack of Star Trek.

#40 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6171 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 02:31 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 11 February 2018 - 02:03 PM, said:

I am almost finished with season 1 of DISCO and have come to the following conclusions

I like:
The updated bling bling.
Bigger, better sets.
Better CGI.
The characters Lorca, Culber, Stamets, Saru.
Proper action fights.

I dislike:
The sporedrive.
The characters Burnham, Tyler.

I loathe:
The super magical spore drive.
The raped klingons.
The raped chronology.
The character Tilly.
The lack of Star Trek.

I stopped watching mid-season.

This isn't Star Trek, it's an abortion of a Battlestar Galactica-wannabe ostensibly set in something resembling the Star Trek universe. It feels like a rabid Trekkie and rabid environmentalist from the r/Politics echo chamber of reddit who likes sci-fi battles watched the 2003 BSG and loved it. Then went and wrote a fan fiction complete around that with the bane of all fan fiction, a Mary Sue character (Burnham). Add in ham-fisted shoehorning of a caricature of their modern political opponents onto the Klingons, shake, and bake.

I won't lie, it's had its upsides and parts I've genuinely enjoyed, but overall, that's the feeling I get from it.

Eric5h5: