10 replies to this topic

#1 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1434 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 06:41 PM

macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#2 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:28 PM

Hope this community / portion of the community matures so its easier for schlubs like me to do this when its finally time to retire this old MBP

#3 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 19 August 2017 - 03:15 AM

Impressive feat, but I'd rather have a fully supported Mac from Apple or a fully supported PC than a Frankenmac like this. IMHO hackintoshes aren't worth the hassle. Maybe (probably?) a few years ago I'd have tried, but nowadays I prefer using the computer than making it work. I'm getting old probably. :)

#4 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:32 PM

Same here - I know there is lots of info out there, it gets easier and I'm sure I could build a hackintosh or just a separate PC for gaming but I'd really rather not have to spend the time keeping them updated.

Hard enough to get the time to work on my game backlog.

I'd want a Mac for everything else anyway so I'm OK with paying the extra for a Mac - I just need Apple to make one again that can be updated a bit over the years like my Mac Pro. It was a huge expense to me when new but given how long it has lasted thanks to smaller more affordable upgrades over the years great value.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, R9 280X 3GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.6

#5 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1434 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:07 PM

If I NEEDED a new computer right now I'd absolutely go with a Hackintosh for the bang for the buck. I'll wait for what Apple's MacPro offering will be otherwise (then a Hackintosh might be my only option depending on specs/price). A new computer will require, if I decide to BootCamp, the steal-all-your-data-with-every-update [without Registry editing magic] Windows10 as Microsoft dropped support for Win7 on newer processors.
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#6 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 20 August 2017 - 02:11 AM

I think some people overestimate what Microsoft is collecting. Rest assured Google knows much more about you than MS ever will (unless you don't use any Google service, of course). Besides, you can disable most (all?) data collecting without the registry. I think there's lots of paranoia there.

#7 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1434 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 05:34 PM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 20 August 2017 - 02:11 AM, said:

I think some people overestimate what Microsoft is collecting. Rest assured Google knows much more about you than MS ever will (unless you don't use any Google service, of course). Besides, you can disable most (all?) data collecting without the registry. I think there's lots of paranoia there.
You're right, I should be okay with giving Company XYZ all my data because I know and accept Company ABC already has it.

#8 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 06:08 PM

Except they dont take all your data, and you have the option to shut off all the data collection wih a few toggles during setup since the Creators Update.  Youre being ridiculously hyperbolic.  

Also, if you dont know where to look to disable post install/setup, Spybot has a simple free application called Spybot Anti-beacon thatbshuts off EVERYTHING with one mouse click.

#9 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1434 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 04:14 PM

I love being antagonized for posting an opinion that could have been left at, "yeah, it's hyperbolic" rather than allusions to being unacceptably out of bounds. I also have kids of whom I don't like to post pictures and information of online because I feel it's my responsibility to allow them the choice to do so when they're older and, hopefully, more responsible. Is that "a lot of paranoia" or "ridiculously hyperbolic?" Really, tell me how to be a better person.

Here's a YouTuber who was a programmer for Microsoft for around ten years that has a few videos about Windows 10's spyware/privacy invasion (yeah, in the Creators Update, too). I try to limit drinking the EULA KoolAid.

Spybot, thank you, that's useful. Is this the proper link? A few come up when searching.

#10 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 06:44 PM

Thats them.  Also worth using their free tools to spot malware and stuff.   I run their scans and immunizations about twice a month.  Never had a virus or issue since i started using their stuff.

#11 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:18 AM

Very impressed that he got it working.

An Intel based Hackintosh would have a much easier time to get going since there is a lot less trickery required. I have few old Dell desktops with Haswell i5's that I'm tempted to try this on.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hackintosh, ryzen, amd, diy, snazzy labs