macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:06 PM

The problem they are going to run into is the venn diagram of `cares about quality` and `lazy` does not cross very much. I am very much in the lazy venn and if it plays and the price is right idgaf. The performance is fine and certainly could help milk extra years out of old mac hardware if you wanted to game on them some more.

Assuming the 7.99 price for 2 years, I could buy an xbox, but I'd rather play with my computer pals so there's some switching cost there. Most folks would need to upgrade their internet plan because of speeds or caps to use this service frequently. Again, assuming I would need to upgrade my internet at say 20 bucks a month, again that's an xbox a year.

The proposed block of hours or tokens I've seen bandied about is a non starter. MAYBE if there is a low hours pay as you go option for someone who doesn't play very often but otherwise it's going to need to be an all you can eat subscription.

The service works impressively well by my lazy standards, I'm just not sure how the final pricing will shake out.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#22 nick68k

nick68k

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 245 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:22 PM

Right so I've got it working from the depths of mid-Michigan on a 100 Mbps connection and i'm pretty impressed so far.

Now, admittedly, I tend to mostly play poky little indy titles or Blizzard stuff on my iMac, so I may be setting the bar low, and I've only tested Skyrim on GFN, but it plays well. No complaints about latency or frame rates.

The one thing that would give me pause for thought is the cost. I don't have a TV for a console or the space for a fancy gaming setup, so i'm absolutely in the market for this, but $25 pcm for 20 hours of access doesn't seem like a great deal.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#23 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:50 PM

View Postnick68k, on 09 August 2017 - 07:22 PM, said:

Right so I've got it working from the depths of mid-Michigan on a 100 Mbps connection and i'm pretty impressed so far.

Now, admittedly, I tend to mostly play poky little indy titles or Blizzard stuff on my iMac, so I may be setting the bar low, and I've only tested Skyrim on GFN, but it plays well. No complaints about latency or frame rates.

The one thing that would give me pause for thought is the cost. I don't have a TV for a console or the space for a fancy gaming setup, so i'm absolutely in the market for this, but $25 pcm for 20 hours of access doesn't seem like a great deal.

What does the in app network tester give you for latency? Any decent route from Michigan shouldn't be bad to Chicago. But as Medicom has shown, who cares about decent routing.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#24 nick68k

nick68k

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 245 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:57 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 09 August 2017 - 08:50 PM, said:

What does the in app network tester give you for latency?

I get 32 ms (+/- 2) over 3 tests.

#25 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1509 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:11 PM

It is interesting to hear this works as well as it does but I was not aware of the pricing issue. I would still maintain that this technology for many reasons is not ready for prime time and cost just got added to the list. I don't think this is gonna fly with enough users to be worthwhile other than as an investment in the future for the companies developing it. Consider yourself beta testers not just now but after it releases formally too, like for years to come.

They should be paying you to bother.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#26 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3779 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:19 AM

View Postnv_kelly, on 09 August 2017 - 12:07 PM, said:

....and to be located in the continental United States or Canada.
Booh! :(

I would have loved to try this out!
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#27 nick68k

nick68k

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 245 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:04 AM

Yeah I don't have any illusions about the longevity of the service at the current pricing level, but for me at least, it does seem to work as advertised.

Another issue is that, as a casual Mac gamer, I don't have a catalogue of AAA PC titles ready to go. I'd quite like to pootle around with NMS over the weekend, but I'm unwilling to shell out $59.99 for the experience.

edit: as correctly pointed out by macdude, replace 'current pricing' with 'proposed pricing'.

#28 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:31 AM

View Postnick68k, on 10 August 2017 - 06:04 AM, said:

Yeah I don't have any illusions about the longevity of the service at the current pricing level, but for me at least, it does seem to work as advertised.

Another issue is that, as a casual Mac gamer, I don't have a catalogue of AAA PC titles ready to go. I'd quite like to pootle around with NMS over the weekend, but I'm unwilling to shell out $59.99 for the experience.

https://isthereanyde...plain=nomanssky

#29 nick68k

nick68k

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 245 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:33 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 10 August 2017 - 06:31 AM, said:

See, that's why I hang around these forums. :)

#30 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:42 AM

View Postnick68k, on 10 August 2017 - 06:04 AM, said:

Just to be clear there isn't any announced pricing for release, only the proposed pricing from CES. I agree that that proposed pricing is a non-starter. However, right now the service is 0 dollars in beta, from a technical perspective it's working pretty well for 0 dollars.

Expand the supported games, fix the resolution issue, it will be a solid service from a technical perspective. Nvidia will need to be very conscious of price at release.

View Postnick68k, on 10 August 2017 - 06:33 AM, said:

See, that's why I hang around these forums. :)

Just make sure you get from a store that provides a steam key right now since the GFN service only supports steam (typically any store but gog).

View Postnick68k, on 09 August 2017 - 08:57 PM, said:

I get 32 ms (+/- 2) over 3 tests.

a full 10+ms better than I can get. The input lag is noticeable at 45ms but doesn't really bother me even in Paladins. At work with 10ms to Chicago I cannot notice the input lag at all.

I played quite a bit of NMS last night. I find the game enjoyable. I never followed any of the hype last year so I don't know if it's "better" or not. It feels like a casual mix of Elite Dangerous and Minecraft.

#31 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1509 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:21 AM

Just an FYI you guys may already have seen from the the beta FAQ:

"After the free Beta, there will be a pay-as-you-go model."

If that is not true or is subject to change, their faq really should say so but maybe that is true and it simply is not updated for whatever reasons. Personally, there is no way I could deal with a pay-as-you-go model when/if I get my Macbook. That reminds me of dial up AOL a very long time ago. That got pretty damned expensive until repeated beatings from my ex-wife brought the situation under control. I remember using CompuServe and Genie as well. Maybe some of you guys do too.

I was there btw because curiosity made me want to try it on this cheapo PC laptop if there was a PC beta on also. I was most interested in running their tool to assess my latency from here to wherever I'd be connecting to along with actual speeds this connection would give me and after that giving Skyrim or whatnot a shot to see it for myself. I guess PC beta is upcoming so maybe I will do that then assuming this thing even meets the system requirements which it may not.

#32 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:01 AM

Me too, but my interweb sucks.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#33 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3779 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:32 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 10 August 2017 - 11:01 AM, said:

Me too, but my interweb sucks.
You can borrow half my interwebz, if I can lend your geolocalization!

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#34 nick68k

nick68k

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 245 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:25 PM

Can one of the moddy-mods merge this with the other GFN thread? (...is such a thing even possible? I have no idea)

#35 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 03:16 PM

Just chiming in to say that I've been in the beta for GeForce Now as well and the service works as advertised for me. To my eyes, and the few people I've shown, we couldn't tell that we were watching a video stream of a game running on a cloud computer far away. The only thing that was fishy to them was how I was managing to run certain games on my older iMac so well (I didn't tell them at first).

I think the only "supported" games I own are Half Life 2 and Left for Dead but those played pretty well on my iMac anyways. But it got really interesting when I tried games that are currently unsupported. The most demanding gene I own is Total War: Attila and it's basically unplayable on my iMac even at the lowest settings (which also looks terrible). However playing it through GeForce Now is a different story. I cranked all the settings up as high as they go and the game was pretty much smooth as butter and looked absolutely fantastic. Even Company of Heroes 2 looks and plays significantly better this way compared to playing it natively on my 2013 iMac.

There's also the benefit of playing those Humble Bundle games that only had PC versions like Giana Sisters. That game came in one of those bundles, and promised a Mac version that never came. No problem here though as it runs perfectly this way.

I think they will fix it so you will be able to play any game in your Steam library in the same fashion you can play the currently supported games (will maintain saves and won't have to reinstall each time). However like others have mentioned in this thread whatever pricing they decide on will probably keep me from using the service unless I'm really desperate to play a certain game that doesn't take hours and hours to complete. I had considered getting Skyrim during the recent Steam sale but that's the kind of game that can take upwards of 100 hours to complete so I didn't bother even though it's a supported game and this is a free beta. I have no idea when the beta will end and can't see myself paying hourly fee to continue playing it when the time comes.

I'm also not exactly desperate to open up the "floodgates", if you will, to a whole bunch more games to add to my already long Steam backlog. Whatever is available for my Mac seems to suit me just fine.

Despite all that I have to admit the service works flawlessly for me. Much much much better than Onlive ever did.
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.12.3
iPad Air 2 64GB WiFi/iPhone 6+ 64GB

#36 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1509 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 03:31 PM

One other thing that hasn't come up and would apply to varying degrees or perhaps not at all even depending on the individual, is the issue of taking breaks from games for the bathroom, munchies, smokes outside, children setting stuff on fire, pets that need attention, spouses that need attention, etc. For me, the straw that really did break the camel's back with PS Now was the timeouts after a brief period that would bounce me out of whatever I was playing. This of course, is especially bad for any game using checkpoint saves as you will almost certainly lose varying amounts of progress if you don't beat the timer. I was not good at beating the timer and did lose progress one time too many. I hated having to make sure I just hit a checkpoint before going for a smoke in case the damn service kicked me off. Now, since nobody has mentioned any such problem with the beta here, I expect there is no timer so this is not relevant. However, the basic idea of taking breaks is, just in a different way in this case. The problem is wasting time and therefore money every time you get up and walk away for anything.

I don't know about you guys but I often will pause a game and even go make dinner, eat it and return after because it is just more convenient than to have to exit out of it or worse, play until you hit a checkpoint or accept lost progress and then come back and have to fire it up again, etc. I hate that inconvenience big time. Your feelings I'm sure will vary greatly by individual but I see this as a very lousy side effect of the currently stated pricing model. Right there, even if it was cheap that would be irritating enough to me to skip it because it would still bug me to even have to think about, will I be gone long enough that I ought to bail here or will it be short enough to cost so little that who cares, etc. That does not cut it with me because I do not want to have to even think about stuff like that. I have more pressing matters on my mind like, well, anything but that basically.

#37 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 03:42 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 10 August 2017 - 03:31 PM, said:

One other thing that hasn't come up and would apply to varying degrees or perhaps not at all even depending on the individual, is the issue of taking breaks from games for the bathroom, munchies, smokes outside, children setting stuff on fire, pets that need attention, spouses that need attention, etc. For me, the straw that really did break the camel's back with PS Now was the timeouts after a brief period that would bounce me out of whatever I was playing. This of course, is especially bad for any game using checkpoint saves as you will almost certainly lose varying amounts of progress if you don't beat the timer. I was not good at beating the timer and did lose progress one time too many. I hated having to make sure I just hit a checkpoint before going for a smoke in case the damn service kicked me off. Now, since nobody has mentioned any such problem with the beta here, I expect there is no timer so this is not relevant. However, the basic idea of taking breaks is, just in a different way in this case. The problem is wasting time and therefore money every time you get up and walk away for anything.

It kicks you off after a period of time. I'll have to time it, but I went off to take a shower and came back and I was kicked off. You could waste a lot of cloud resource if you weren't kicked off AFK.

#38 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1509 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 03:57 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 10 August 2017 - 03:42 PM, said:

It kicks you off after a period of time. I'll have to time it, but I went off to take a shower and came back and I was kicked off. You could waste a lot of cloud resource if you weren't kicked off AFK.

Well, sure I can hear the system admin in you seeing it that way. I view it as a cost of providing a quality experience to customers. You know more about this than I do but if the cost is so great there for people going AFK that they could not offer this at a price consumers would accept because of it I see that as another drawback to this tech in itself. In other words, whether they can help it or not it still sucks.

When I went on to playing something else not on PS Now on my PS4, it honestly felt good to me to not have to think about the timer every time I got up. Again though, I do appreciate that how much or little this would matter to someone would be a very individual thing.

#39 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3779 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:03 AM

View Postnick68k, on 10 August 2017 - 12:25 PM, said:

Can one of the moddy-mods merge this with the other GFN thread? (...is such a thing even possible? I have no idea)
Of course. tBC retypes all posts from one thread into the other, assigns each post to its correct author again, and then deletes the old posts one at a time. Simple!

#40 nick68k

nick68k

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 245 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:24 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 11 August 2017 - 03:03 AM, said:

Of course. tBC retypes all posts from one thread into the other, assigns each post to its correct author again, and then deletes the old posts one at a time. Simple!

Clearly tBC needs to be upgraded with extra paws.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mac, pc gaming, geforce now for mac, nvidia