Compatible hardware games Mac mini

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 eljalu

eljalu

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:52 PM

I'm new to this forum so sorry if this is in the wrong place but I assumed this would be the best place since it's about hardware and can be game related

Now have been wondering for a long time wether I can play these games on my Mac mini or not
And would like to know if I can before spending my money on it.

The games I would like to play are :
Call of duty 4 modern warfare (and if possible mw2 and mw3)
Call of duty black ops
and Max Payne 3

My late 2014 Mac mini specs are
1,4 GHz intel core i5
4GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Ram
Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB

Call of duty 4 mw required specs are :
Intel core 2 duo /2.0 GHz 1GB ram/ ati Radeon x1600 nvidia geforce 7300; 128MB vram

Black ops 1 specs
2.4ghz CPU speed / 4GB ram / (ati) Radeon HD 3870 512mb vram

Max Payne 3 specs
Intel dual core xenion / core I series 2.4ghz or greater
4GB ram
Nvidia 8800GT 512mb vram/ amd Radeon HD 4870 512 vram

Any help would be apriciated sorry if my English is slightly off it's not my native language

#2 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1585 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:45 AM

The problem as I think you know may be the video with that setup. Intel HD 5000 is actually fine for simpler games but those titles are graphically demanding. If you are not aware of this already, the problem aside of the internal graphics chip itself not being powerful enough for newer (even these) 3D graphics titles is also the fact that it uses memory shared with the operating system that is not nearly as fast as dedicated memory on a traditional discrete graphics card.

That said, I don't know that they won't work although I think Max Payne is one title that is least likely to as it was ported with a specialized version of Wine called Cider which was created and sold by a company that sold it off and it is no longer used. Being as out of date as it is, it may not work anymore at all depending on what version of macOS you are running which you did not mention.

Additionally, Black Ops has issues on some systems running newer versions of macOS and is unstable on them for at least some if not many users.

With the above out of the way, what I would try if it was me would be the least demanding (oldest) Call of Duty game first from either Steam or anyplace else that will allow you a refund if it does not work well or at all. Keep in mind, with Steam you must make up your mind within a 14 day time period and just as importantly play the game for less than 2 hours for it to be eligible for a refund. If you do that and it does not work, their system will process a refund automatically which may take up to a week to process. Another important thing to keep in mind is that Steam in order to prevent people abusing that policy puts an unspecified limit on how many refunds someone may request in a given time frame which they do not specify. In an article I read recently, that seems to be roughly six titles total over a period of six months but that is not anything Steam has stated anywhere so one cannot rely on that absolutely. The other thing is, repeated refunds will trigger the system to not process automatically but rather to send it to a Valve employee (Valve as you may know owns and operates Steam) for review on a case by case basis.

So, if you try the first Call of Duty and find it works really well which I do not have a lot of confidence in, although it might with settings turned down considering its age, then you may want to try the next one, etc. Max Payne 3 which I did play on a more powerful Mac a long time ago did work well for me then but I would not expect it to work now. It might but I have serious doubts about that.

I would try the first Modern Warfare for an hour assuming it runs and see what you think, then refund it if need be. If that doesn't work it is game over for the rest of them. If it does, you can probably make a guess based on how well it ran in trying the next one, etc. Just keep in mind again that repeated refunds anywhere would become an issue so you can't use the policy to demo stuff to see if it works routinely.

I am running a cheapo PC laptop with Intel HD graphics just slightly better than yours and even in Windows based on stuff I have tried on this, I am not expecting those games will work well unfortunately but I do think trying the oldest one is worth a shot because it might. I am playing stuff like old RPG remasters, etc. and those things are working well but these GPUs, the integrated graphics ones are really not up to the task of 3D gaming unless you have one of the latest top of the line ones which may fare better. I couldn't comment on that not that it would help anyway, for lack of experience with them.

Maybe somebody here will have your same setup or close and can give you a better answer than this but I thought I would try since I had some idea of what you might expect and what you could try to find out more.

By the way, your English is just fine. :)
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#3 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2178 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:12 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 06 August 2017 - 06:45 AM, said:

Just keep in mind again that repeated refunds anywhere would become an issue so you can't use the policy to demo stuff to see if it works routinely.

On Steam, you actually can.  Straight from Gaben.  It's basically a demo system.  They don't care.  Most of the developers have even said they dont make Demos precisely *because* of that.

#4 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1585 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:01 PM

View PostTetsuya, on 12 August 2017 - 01:12 PM, said:

On Steam, you actually can.  Straight from Gaben.  It's basically a demo system.  They don't care.  Most of the developers have even said they dont make Demos precisely *because* of that.

Do you have a link for that info? It completely contradicts what I read the other day and was basing my comments on here:

http://www.pcgamer.com/steam-refunds/

Note this guide to Steam Refunds published by PC Gamer is dated August 3, 2017 so it is not out of date.

#5 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2178 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:30 PM

https://arstechnica....1&post=33268331

Wether or not Valve officially likes it, the developers dont seem to care what Valve thinks.   There was a link burried in there to an interview wi Gabe where he basically agrees,  but it appears to have gone dead.

#6 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1585 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 12:20 PM

The developers don't come into play when consumers request a refund per the rules, automation, trigger for human review, etc. outlined in the article I linked. Given the way developers are paid, they never see any effect from this directly. That is referenced I believe in the article I linked as well.

So, they can say what they will but it is an automated system known to work in a specific way with human folllow up when triggered also known to work in a specific way.

All that said, no, Steam's refund policy does not allow people to use it (abuse it) as a way to demo unlimited titles.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Compatible, hardware, games, Mac mini