• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 263 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:21 AM

Here's something to push the nostalgia buttons for those of us of a certain age: Unknown Realm - a retro fantasy RPG (- think Ultima) in development for Mac, PC, and yes - Commodore 64. It comes on a cart for the latter; dust those glorious 8-bit boxes down, chaps.

A 40-50 hour single player campaign is promised, with low-fidelity colour palette options mimicking your favourite 8-bit machines from the 80s.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:46 AM

There's also another retro-RPG for the Apple II in development, which will get a Mac/PC release as an emulator bundle: Nox Archaist.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 19 July 2017 - 02:57 PM

Don't forget about Lawless Legends. I think they are still working on it.

http://www.lawlesslegends.com
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#4 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 263 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:35 PM

I hadn't forgotten about it (....I just didn't know about it) :ph34r: :rolleyes:
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#5 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:01 AM

You can still play Ultima IV on iOS for free. It's 32-bit and doomed though as I don't think it has been updated in ages or is maintained anymore. I might be wrong about that though. Ultima III has an awesome native Mac version:

http://www.lairware.com/ultima3/

I have a feeling you guys already know about this but figured I'd mention it and post the link anyway. This guy continues to maintain it. It's easily the best version of the game in existence and exclusive to macOS!

Accept no substitutes! Play the real deal!
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#6 G_Player

G_Player

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:53 PM

Just a few questions.

How safe is it to go to a web site with the name "liar" in it, isn't that just asking for trouble?

Would you feel comfortable typing in your Admin password if the game asks for it during installation?
My computer often beats me in Strip Poker but doesn't stand a chance against my kick-boxing!

#7 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:25 AM

View PostG_Player, on 25 July 2017 - 10:53 PM, said:

Just a few questions.

How safe is it to go to a web site with the name "liar" in it, isn't that just asking for trouble?

Would you feel comfortable typing in your Admin password if the game asks for it during installation?

The word is meaning a lair, as in a den of monsters or whatnot. I had read about this game at a number of reputable outlets as being the best version of it existent some years ago and being a big fan of later Ultima games I decided to have a look. So I downloaded the trial version and was so impressed I soon paid the small price of 5 bucks to unlock the full game. This game has been available for many years now from the same website, maintained by the same developer and enjoyed by a fair number of people over the years.

I would never post a link here to anything I had not personally downloaded and used/played myself first and which I knew from various sources to be safe to begin with.

It certainly is good and wise to be cautious though and it's a legitimate question to want to know about a download like this, particularly if it is the first time you've ever heard of it.

Anyway, I had fun with it for a time before I wandered off to something else and never had any issues with it or my Mac systems it was on at all. I never took it off either one. I liked having it around. That is kind of silly but for some reason, I just liked seeing the icon for it.

#8 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:18 PM

View PostG_Player, on 25 July 2017 - 10:53 PM, said:

It's "lair", not "liar". ;)

#9 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:41 PM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 26 July 2017 - 01:18 PM, said:

It's "lair", not "liar". ;)

Oh, yeah! That too! lol

Oh, man. I am getting old. Dammit!

#10 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17435 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:47 AM

::starts humming The Flintstones theme::
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#11 G_Player

G_Player

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 11:11 PM

*laughs*  *turns red*

I goofed… lol.

Thanks for pointing it out nicely  : D
My computer often beats me in Strip Poker but doesn't stand a chance against my kick-boxing!