AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:53 PM

Hear ye' hear ye'

Posted Image

This should be one of the more interesting keynotes Apple have done it a while, at least from the perspective that scarcely anything concrete has leaked...

'dlove to hear predictions from anyone still awake, and then nerd-fights after the keynote.
  • I'd expect to see some sort of big focus on the Mac, sensational or material. I think that Mac app store and devs will get a lot of love this year.
  • New iMac with a streamlined,less confusing lineup . Expect less options at the low end and a higher end model with lots of options and potentially better graphics options.
  • New Macbooks
  • New Macbook Pro 15" (little birdy has it that there is serious QA issues with the current models. I'd expect to see some sort of superficial pandering to Pro market too)
  • Maybe Apple kills off the Macbook Air. Otherwise expect zero updates to it to make it even more unattractive for consumers
Made a Meme for the occasion btw:

Posted Image

I think a bigger focus on Accessories for Apple will continue into the Mac Lineup
  • Magic Keyboard with Touchbar, optional in iMac (will have popsnizzle battery life, cost upwards of US$300, people will still buy it)
  • Maybe big focus on 'Apple home' accessories centring around a new 'siri speaker'. A W1 enabled portable hi-fi system that integrates into Apple Home with always listening Siri. I'd also expect to see some sort of focus on Homekit and how apple accessories can all link in and get some action.
  • Small maybe New Airport hardware linking into Apple Home lineup
  • Lite Maybe (really hard to read type color) Apple branded cases for entire Macbook lineup
  • Big maybe (poo brown for effect) Some sort of Thunderbolt 3 Pro hub, but with a new Mac Pro on the horizon this seems less and less likely.
  • Software wise, apart from some good stuff for the Mac i'd expect to see some big stuff for iPad
  • Apple Watch I wouldn't expect too much
  • In iOS i'd generally expect to see the start of a broader push to evolve the UI paradigm past tap and visual immediacy, which is a win for anyone born after 1979

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#2 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:44 AM

Holy popsnizzle, guys. Metal 2, SteamVR, discrete GPUs on iMacs, external GPUs (!).  Is it actually April fools??

Just when I abandon AAA gaming on the Mac.

#3 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:11 PM

The new iMac Pro - exceeded all of my expectations (up to 18 core Xeon, 11 tflop Vega GPU, up to 128 GB ECC RAM, 10 Gb NIC, 5K display with P3 colour.

Also, official support from Apple for eGPU's (they are going to sell a dev kit starting today which comes with an RX 580 GPU). Seeing as Nvidia has Mac drivers now I'm sure you could drop an Nvidia card as well.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#4 RGoulder

RGoulder

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:20 PM

Yeah. I was watching, not thinking they would say anything about the iMac. Then they announce the updated iMac line and I am happy because finally I have an upgrade path for my aging late 2011 iMac. So I'm thinking Its a buy for me. Then they say they are going to do a sneak peak of the new iMac pro. Oh my god, yes. I start drooling over the keyboard. Its a mess :sabber:

It looks good. There are now more choices then I thought I would have, including support for external graphics cards that will be brought to us mac users via Apple's new Mac os: High Sierra.

Horrible name but okay.

Now I just have to figure out what to get and when.

#5 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:40 PM

Best announcement: Black, Extended wireless Apple Keyboard. If that isn't sold separately I will murder a small kitten.

#6 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:42 PM

So far I'm really positively surprised (except for the name "High Sierra"…)

Just to point out: that Steam is on board with Apple's VR initiative means implicitly that they going to port the Source engine to Metal.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#7 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:58 PM

This is all awesome, but am I hearing correctly that Mac OS 10.13 is going to be a stoned version of 10.12?

(In all seriousness I'm totally behind the idea of a streamlining update. We don't really need more features, we need streamlining and efficiency.)
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#8 RGoulder

RGoulder

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:17 PM

Oh look. They wrapped the empty carcass of the mac pro trash can with mesh to create a smart speaker, the HomePod. Apple is working hard to recycle those unused unsold mac pros. :rolleyes:

#9 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:21 PM

A overpriced 27 inch imac without a i9? What does that mean with those new Intel CPUs coming out soon?

As for the entry level imacs, I'm confused about the 21 inch models. Does that mean that out of the box they have low end AMD GPUs that are lightyears ahead of intels crap graphics cards?
What is a man?

#10 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:39 PM

View PostIchigo27, on 05 June 2017 - 01:21 PM, said:

A overpriced 27 inch imac without a i9? What does that mean with those new Intel CPUs coming out soon?

As for the entry level imacs, I'm confused about the 21 inch models. Does that mean that out of the box they have low end AMD GPUs that are lightyears ahead of intels crap graphics cards?

The iMac Pro is using Xeon CPU's. The upcoming Core i9 CPU's are just the pro-sumer branding of Xeon CPU's. Xeon development is way ahead of their Core iX lineup. They've had 20+ core Xeon's for awhile now. The new iMac Pro doesn't seem overpriced at all. Go price out a system with 8 core Xeon, 32 GB ECC RAM, 10 Gb NIC, 11 Tflop GPU, and 5K display with P3 color display from Dell, HP, Lenovo, or any other manufacturer and I think you'll find the price is at least that high, if not substantially higher. That also doesn't factor in the beautiful form factor of the iMac Pro compared to a behemoth desktop sitting beneath your desk.

Microsoft's Surface Studio starts at $3000, but it is only a Core i5 CPU, no ECC memory, and substantially weaker graphics.|

The 21" (non-4K) iMac comes with Intel Iris 640 graphics. The 21" 4K iMac comes with the Radeon Pro 550 (same as the 15" Macbook Pro).
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro

#11 Spike

Spike

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:40 PM

I would not have put this thread under Mac hardware.

Anyway, one of the best WWDC in many years. I cant wait for Safari Auto-play blocking, APFS, H.265, and Metal 2. The worst was the iMac Pro, powerful, but still unupgradeable, just like the current Mac Pro - which would be expected. Waiting for the real modular Mac Pro in 2018 or 2019.

The announcement that Apple will be shipping external GPU enclosures to developers was very nice :)

#12 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:43 PM

View PostIchigo27, on 05 June 2017 - 01:21 PM, said:

The i9s apparently haven't even fixed release dates yet (especially the 18 core model), while the Kaby Lake Xeons (that the iMac Pro uses) are already available in sufficient numbers. Plus, an i9 equipped iMac Pro would even be more expensive, as these chips cost between $1200 and $2000. The Xeons costs significantly less.

No, only the "high end" 21.5" iMac has a dedicated GPU. The low-end model still has Intel graphics.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#13 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:10 PM

Regarding eGPUs VR support: it's somewhat hidden on Apple's webpages, but eGPU VR support won't be available right away. According to a footnote, it's planned for Spring 2018.

(EDIT: Sorry, misread the page: they meant VR.)

#14 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:11 PM

View PostSpike, on 05 June 2017 - 01:40 PM, said:

I would not have put this thread under Mac hardware.

Anyway, one of the best WWDC in many years. I cant wait for Safari Auto-play blocking, APFS, H.265, and Metal 2. The worst was the iMac Pro, powerful, but still unupgradeable, just like the current Mac Pro - which would be expected. Waiting for the real modular Mac Pro in 2018 or 2019.

The announcement that Apple will be shipping external GPU enclosures to developers was very nice :)

It definitely was the best Apple Keynote in recent memory.

I share your sentiment about the iMac Pro not being upgradable being a bad thing, but the iMac Pro still excites me for several big reasons:
  • It shows the Apple actually cares about the professional market who have very demanding computing needs.
  • It sets the bar extremely high for the Mac Pro
If the iMac Pro is debuting with up to an 18-core Xeon processor and with an 11 teraflop Vega Pro GPU (for comparison the GTX 1080 Ti is 11.3 teraflops), then imagine the power that they must be putting into the upcoming Mac Pro

#15 RGoulder

RGoulder

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:15 PM

I'd be willing to plunk down some money for a new iMac though I'm tempted to wait for the new iMac Pro. The one thing I'm confused about price wise is the cost of the SSD 2TB drive upgrade from Apple's build options for the new iMac. Its $1400. That seems really, really high. I have no idea why its that high. Its something I'd love to have but not at that price.

#16 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:43 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 05 June 2017 - 01:43 PM, said:

No, only the "high end" 21.5" iMac has a dedicated GPU. The low-end model still has Intel graphics.

Therefore it would be only 100 or 200 dollars more than a 2011 model? Given 2011 models had decent entry level dedicated GPUs?
What is a man?

#17 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:48 PM

View PostRGoulder, on 05 June 2017 - 02:15 PM, said:

I'd be willing to plunk down some money for a new iMac though I'm tempted to wait for the new iMac Pro. The one thing I'm confused about price wise is the cost of the SSD 2TB drive upgrade from Apple's build options for the new iMac. Its $1400. That seems really, really high. I have no idea why its that high. Its something I'd love to have but not at that price.

It's super fast. Like faster than Samsung 960 PRO fast. Which MSRP is 1299 on those for 2TB, Apple's pricing on the the class of storage they are using is not out of band. It's just, I don't need quite that fast of storage. But fusion drives work great for mere mortals, I have my 2012 MBP fusion drive'd.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#18 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:52 PM

View PostRGoulder, on 05 June 2017 - 02:15 PM, said:

NVMe SSDs of that size are really, really expensive. As simple as that.

#19 RGoulder

RGoulder

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:56 PM

Ah okay. I've been looking into getting a new computer for a while now so I've been seeing prices of various components like flash drives so when I saw $1400 it just wasn't in the ballpark of what I had seen. So I went to other world computing website just to see what they were selling iMac flash drive upgrade kits at and they have them topping out at $830. But if its a NVMe SSD then that makes more sense.

#20 jeannot

jeannot

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:59 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 05 June 2017 - 12:42 PM, said:

So far I'm really positively surprised (except for the name "High Sierra"…)

Just to point out: that Steam is on board with Apple's VR initiative means implicitly that they going to port the Source engine to Metal.
That I'm not so sure. They may leave Metal support to Unity.

EDIT: there may actually be evidence that Source will NOT support Metal, since Federighi explicitly referred to Unity, not Source, when mentioning steam VR. If Metal Source 2 was coming, he would have said it.