DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1575 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 14 April 2017 - 01:28 PM

Wrong platform but this question is applicable to Mac and Windows versions of The Elder Scrolls Online as well. The base game is on sale for just under 10 bucks on the PlayStation Store. Of course, there is also a gold version for 30 bucks with all DLC other than the upcoming Morrowind expansion. Then there is another version like Gold but with a bunch of crowns currency included. Then there are a number of Morrowind preorders on top of that.

I am thinking that starting with the base game might be fine and then purchasing added content later as desired. I imagine crowns to use on DLC purchases go on sale at times but maybe shelling out for the Gold version is a good deal even so?

With so much other content to explore at first Morrowind can wait for price drops later.

Another option if I get sucked in would be to just sub for a while, save the crowns monthly from that, buy the DLC I want with them and cancel. Again, Morrowind doesn't apply here and can come later. A nice thing here is I can try the DLC as a subscriber and learn if I care about owning it or not. Lastly, I am willing to pay a sub for a game I really like and play enough to justify it. So were that to happen, I'd be better off with a cheap base game purchase followed by a Morrowind upgrade on sale later on.

It is worthy of note that I do not play any MMO rushing to endgame. I am one to take my time exploring, crafting, etc. I am more likely to start a new character to level when I hit cap than to mess around on endgame loot treadmills, etc. Thus getting a bunch of content I won't even touch for some time isn't very important unless there is a compelling economic reason to do so.

I do think there is an excellent chance that I will enjoy the game. I have seen it on console and it looks very good to me.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#2 G_Player

G_Player

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:00 PM

Hey DH!

Your post is from April and no one has replied!

I'd like to know if you did buy ESO. If so, what are your impressions of the game?

cheers!
My computer often beats me in Strip Poker but doesn't stand a chance against my kick-boxing!

#3 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1575 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:17 AM

I have continued to resist the temptation of various sales for now. The reason is time. I've recently added an XBox One S to the mix here and picked up some rather lengthy last gen games I wanted to play along with some XBox exclusives so... While I don't doubt that ESO is a good game as MMOs go and would be fun to play at least to me I am sure, I just don't have the time for any MMO presently. That said, I have a way of changing my mind but I don't think I'd buy this unless I meant to install it and dive right in and for now I still don't feel like devoting the time to it vs all the other games I want to play.

EverQuest and WoW are the primary reasons (along with DDO, LoTRO and especially EQII) that there are so many older games I still hope to play. I love goofing around in MMOs and while I have played hardcore and raided nightly in the past, casual play can easily be just as time consuming. You just don't accomplish as much of course but it is a different kind of fun.

These kind of games have a huge appeal to me but I keep trying to avoid the crack here so I can keep experiencing other stuff instead.

#4 G_Player

G_Player

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:33 PM

MMOs are the only games I enjoyed playing. But my options for which games were severely limited by 1) using a Mac, 2) still on dial-up modem.

I quit Runescape (which ran reasonably well on dial-up) about 2 years ago because it devolved into a children's game and was bought by a Chinese mining company last year (can you believe it?!?!) Now what would a mining company know about online computer games? It just reeked of the Chinese government.

Games today require hi speed connections, so now I'm alone in the wilderness.

I bugged a local company for several years about putting a tower out here in the country, but that was a 'no-go' due to low rural population.

Most of the time I've no idea what you guys are talking about with respect to specific games. But I seach other game sites, read up on what looks interesting. It's just that I'll never get to play any of them.

I'd love to walk the paths of Middle Earth and see the sights.

*sigh*
My computer often beats me in Strip Poker but doesn't stand a chance against my kick-boxing!

#5 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1575 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:31 PM

A game like Skyrim could be a good option that is not too far off from an MMO experience minus the social stuff and probably offering better quests overall too. To get around the huge sizes of games like this, if you went with either an XBox One or a PlayStation 4 you could buy disc based releases and just schedule ridiculously long updates to overnight hours perhaps. While a game updating for maybe a number of nights would be out of commission when you wanted to play, if you had some other stuff to pass the time, you could play it instead and resume the download again that night, etc.

That's not ideal I know but it beats missing out entirely on stuff you may well have a lot of fun with.

I wouldn't discount the great deal of fun you could also have with classic RPGs that are not huge downloads like Skyrim such as any of the Infinity Engine Enhanced Edition games available on Steam, GOG or elsewhere. They are really absorbing and offer a lot of replay value given the many race, class, party composition and other options. I am really enjoying Planescape Torment currently and doing something a little different for me this time where I am playing as a Mage character. I never do this. I always go Paladin or Fighter as a rule and while I got beat up a bit at first, that was quite manageable with a companion you get right away who has a taunt ability to bring the hurt to himself and also has decent dps. At this point, I am just starting to have some real fun with a devastating spell that reminds me of Ice Comet from EverQuest which was a huge deal to EQ Wizards once upon a time.

You probably already know this but the Infinity EE games are all available for Mac and iOS so you might want to look into them unless you already know about them and are not interested for whatever reasons. I love them myself. For something newer, you could always consider Divinity Original Sin or Pillars of Eternity both of which are on consoles too if that is an avenue you would consider. At least there, you can get them on disc and just download updates or even skip them if they don't fix anything crucial.