Jump to content


Android Emulation


  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Macster

Macster

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 03:49 AM

Not sure if this topic quite belongs here but in general has anyone tried Android Emulation for some mobile apps you would like to play on your Mac but can't because iOS does not have a running environment on MacOSX? Are there any good trust-worthy emulators out there?

I have tried Andyroid but it left me with a sour taste. First it auto installs MacKeeper on your Mac which quickly has to be isolated and removed, which is annoying. Secondly it seems to be downloading something in the background, in the 40 minutes I left it running it downloaded like nearly 2 and a half gigs  of I dunno what and basically used up one third of my data allotment for the month in that short span of time.

Does anyone know if the software is legit, or what it could be downloading in the background? Or any way I can check for myself while it is running?

I have checked for other malware and viruses since ridding myself of MacKeeper but found nothing. Still now I am highly tempted to delete it outright.

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

    Jugger Bugger

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan
  • Location:over there

Posted 10 April 2017 - 05:51 AM

Andyroid is legit (at least as long as downloaded it from legit sources), and also appears to be one of the best solutions at the moment. As I don't use it myself, I can't say what it downloads, but it uses an actual full version of Android (in contrast to some of the other available emulators), so it might simply be updates for Android and/or some of the bundled apps.

An other quite popular Android emulator is BlueStacks (which is actually not a full emulation, but more like a compatibility layer). The official Android developer software also comes with an emulator.

You can also simply install Android in any virtual machine of your choice, including the free VirtualBox (Andy is in fact based on VirtualBox), though that can be a bit tricky to set up.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"


#3 Macster

Macster

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:31 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 10 April 2017 - 05:51 AM, said:

Andyroid is legit (at least as long as downloaded it from legit sources), and also appears to be one of the best solutions at the moment. As I don't use it myself, I can't say what it downloads, but it uses an actual full version of Android (in contrast to some of the other available emulators), so it might simply be updates for Android and/or some of the bundled apps.

An other quite popular Android emulator is BlueStacks (which is actually not a full emulation, but more like a compatibility layer). The official Android developer software also comes with an emulator.

You can also simply install Android in any virtual machine of your choice, including the free VirtualBox (Andy is in fact based on VirtualBox), though that can be a bit tricky to set up.

Cool, it is a shame it comes bundled with MacKeeper though. But multiple scans on my system have yet to find any malware or viruses since installing it, so I do presume it is installing the rest of the android OS onto itself as you mentioned.
Not sure how to set up VirtualBox either and the documentation is rather weak (I need FB to access support? Get real!) But it runs reasonably well just a tad like everything is on fast forward though.

#4 Janichsan

Janichsan

    Jugger Bugger

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan
  • Location:over there

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:17 AM

View PostMacster, on 10 April 2017 - 06:31 AM, said:

Cool, it is a shame it comes bundled with MacKeeper though.
Yeah, that's a bit weird and/or shady.

Quote

Not sure how to set up VirtualBox either and the documentation is rather weak (I need FB to access support? Get real!)
VirtualBox's own documentation is indeed not great. But you can easily find good tutorials via Google or your search engine of choice.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"


#5 Macster

Macster

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:51 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 10 April 2017 - 07:17 AM, said:

Yeah, that's a bit weird and/or shady.


VirtualBox's own documentation is indeed not great. But you can easily find good tutorials via Google or your search engine of choice.

I found a fix, it was simply to enable the emulator to use the GPU. =) So far so good.

#6 Macster

Macster

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:42 PM

*Update*

Ended up deleting the thing. The log file it generates showed a lot of random traffic coming into my Mac from advertisers (only while the software was running) And I found it outrageous how much ad traffic the thing generates to the point of installing apps into the emulated environment without consent.
I did download it form this site: http://www.andyroid.net
But it is all too strange once you get it on your Mac.

I've also noticed a lot of extra internet bandwidth being eaten up by something since installing this thing. I have checked via terminal all my active connections but I can't find anything "fishy". Malwarebytes can't find anything nor does ClamXav. I guess I am just paranoid since it did come with MacKeeper bundled (apparently MacKeeper gives good incentives for this so lots of free software places bundle it in).

My mac is not showing any slowdown or pop ups or anything other than normal behavior so perhaps is is this plus the latest update to Safari that are doing it but meh what a sour experience.

#7 Janichsan

Janichsan

    Jugger Bugger

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan
  • Location:over there

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:20 AM

View PostMacster, on 17 April 2017 - 06:42 PM, said:

*Update*

Ended up deleting the thing. The log file it generates showed a lot of random traffic coming into my Mac from advertisers (only while the software was running) And I found it outrageous how much ad traffic the thing generates to the point of installing apps into the emulated environment without consent.
Well, as I said: it is a full installation of Android, with all strings attached. Adware is much more common there.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"


#8 Macster

Macster

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:59 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 18 April 2017 - 11:20 AM, said:

Well, as I said: it is a full installation of Android, with all strings attached. Adware is much more common there.

Glad I am not an android user then, that is irritating out the wazoo. I would only recommend this thing if people really really really need the android environment for testing for anything else, eww.

*Edit* Got my bandwidth back, I suppose some oddly named cookie was placed in my browser (likely by MacKeeper) and it was sending/receiving data and bloating my bandwidth usage. Dumped them all and now all is as it was. Now I only wonder what that cookie was actually doing? I suppose i better reset most of my passwords ><

#9 Frost

Frost

    Secretary of Offense

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6094 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Location:Republic of Texas
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:01 AM

Android's pretty nice on heavily customized versions with most of the popsnizzle cut out of it like NVIDIA's version they put on their Shield units, which I use and love. Those are the only Android products I touch though. It's either a Shield device or an iOS device for me.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.