5 replies to this topic

#1 G_Player

G_Player

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:38 PM

Was at WineHq last night looking at… wine.

I was amazed by the number of new Windoze games that have been successfully ported to the Mac.

If I purchase Neverwinter Nights 2 from GOG, I'd have to D/L Wine and create a wrapper for the game. Nowhere could I find a walk-through of the process. And when I clicked on the MacOS download link to see how big this application is and get an idea of how long this is going to take, I see…

Installer for "Wine Development" version 2.4, 109M

Installer for "Wine Staging" version 2.4, 117M

Great… which one do I download?, or do I need both?

Then there were discussions in the bugs section about files named nkdglke and bisxdojdd, and lots of long UNIX command line spaghetti. My eyes glazed over.

What little forum discussions I did find on the net' on converting NWN2 often differed on how to do it, baffling bugs, and some persistent fatal crashes that left some out of money they spent for the game.

I did find some good news. I don't know if you guys know this already.

I had read complaints that the toolsets were never ported to the Mac. Apparently, Wine converts these tools as well!

from WineHq's web site:

"Neverwinter Nights 2 Toolset - Official toolset for NWN2 from BioWare."

"Neverwinter Nights Aurora Toolset - This is the official Neverwinter Nights module editor supplied by Bioware with the Windows version of Neverwinter Nights. It allows you to create custom items, creatures etc, as well as designing maps and storylines."

It seems like a lot of time and hair-pulling.

Has anybody here gone through this? How long did it take? How successful were you? Are you happy with the results?

And (perhaps the most telling of your experience) would you do it again?
My computer often beats me in Strip Poker but doesn't stand a chance against my kick-boxing!

#2 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:29 PM

I don't know about NWN, but I've played Titanfall 2 while on a whole bottle of wine. It hampered my performance terribly. Oddly enough when I hit about halfway-to-sober though I started playing even better than I play when totally sober. Gotta be a secret formula there.

:P

(Serious response below)
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#3 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1509 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:44 PM

Google for: wineskin and you'll find most of what you need to know along with an excellent, well documented app that makes creating self-contained apps out of windows games as painless as possible.

Next, after downloading wineskin and reading its documentation go to the winehq site and visit the appDB section there to look up any game you want to try playing with Wine. Everything you need to know can generally be found at these two locations.

“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#4 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1509 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:10 PM

I forgot to mention, the above info is really helpful and worth the initial homework/learning curve which honestly is not very difficult but it is a little time consuming at first. This really pays off though when rolling your own, etc.

If for now, all you want is to just get up and running with either NWN game, I would encourage you to Google for Paulthetall who has automated the setups for many GOG games and has a free app that will do up a supported game for you. The guy is very nice about offering help with issues when possible too. So you might like this for a good, simple first experience.

You can do quite a lot with wine if you invest in learning about it and again, it isn't as complicated to use as it might seem at first glance.

“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#5 Spike

Spike

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 11:09 PM

There is also this site that has some good info on NWN on Mac:
http://bbellina.blog...ter-nights.html

Personally, I bought the Mac native version of NWN 2 on the Mac App Store that Aspyr Media published. I see that Aspyr has removed it now thou. I just opened it on my MacBook with El Capitan and it started fine, but oh well.

#6 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1353 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 08 April 2017 - 12:07 PM

View PostSpike, on 29 March 2017 - 11:09 PM, said:

There is also this site that has some good info on NWN on Mac:
http://bbellina.blog...ter-nights.html

Personally, I bought the Mac native version of NWN 2 on the Mac App Store that Aspyr Media published. I see that Aspyr has removed it now thou. I just opened it on my MacBook with El Capitan and it started fine, but oh well.

Yeah, Aspyr lost the license so they had to remove it.