Is there a good full featured Disk Utility replacement?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6089 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:52 PM

It's finally getting to be about time for old Cypher (Quad G5) to transition from active service to Frost's Vintage Macs. There's one thing my Leopard-running G5 can do that my Sierra-equipped MBP can't though: run a full featured version of Disk Utility. The neutered Disk Utility is no good to me. Anyone know of a good Disk Utility replacement?

I know I can use the Terminal to do all this, but for frak's sake, I shouldn't need to hit the command line to do things on a 2017 MacOS that I could do with a nice graphical utility in a 2007 MacOS.

Looking for things like easy partition management, various secure erasure options, formatting options, and very importantly the ability to format decommissioned disks that are going to be resold as Free Space. This is for business usage so if it's a paid utility that's 100% okay.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#2 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:12 PM

I only know of iPartition.

There is still the Secure Erase function in Sierra's Disk Utility, as found here:
  • Select the hard drive (not an SSD) in the sidebar
  • Click the Erase button
  • Click on Security Options
  • Select the level of secure erase in the next window by moving the slider. You'll find that there's an option to randomly write data followed by a single pass of zeros across the entire drive.

#3 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 25 March 2017 - 01:02 PM

Another alternative would be running a VM with an older version of macOS, or a Linux/Windows partition and mounting the drive to that VM and wiping via that OS.

Also, I've noticed the warning against data cleaning an SSD. They make a two point argument against secure wiping (overwriting all data) SSDs:
  • SSD's aren't magnetic storage, and as such, there is no magnetic signature left on them when you delete data
  • Overwriting all of the data will shorten the life expectancy of the disk
The first point is valid, but I don't think that the second point is valid anymore. Technically yes - writing 250 GB of data to wipe a 250 GB SSD will shorten is life expectancy, but "0'ing" a disk also shortens a HDD's life expectancy. SSD's are now well beyond the need to worry about how many reads/writes are being done on them, assuming they are operating in a normal consumer/business environment.

SSD endurance testing has shown that consumer SSD's can now write 1-2 petabytes (1-2 million gigabytes) of data before they fail. If you lean on the conservative side of an SSD's lifespan (1 PB) then you can write 250 GB of data to your SSD every day for 11 years.

Concern about drastically shortening an SSD's life because you decided to 0 it are mostly just an old-wives tale now, a legacy of the early days of SSDs.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#4 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6089 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 05:22 PM

By free space I actually meant a totally partitionless empty space disk like you would get with a new blank drive, not specifically zeroing (although I agree; total non-issue anymore). Up through Yosemite this was easily accomplished by just electing to format it as "Free Space" versus HFS+, FAT32, etc.

Among other things, Apple removed that in El Capitan. Gah.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#5 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 25 March 2017 - 08:12 PM

I will fire up Drive Genius and see if it will do a partition-less nuke, but I think it still makes a partition after it zeros a disk.

Most SSDs should have a secure erase command (ATA Secure Erase), you may have to use the manufacture tool. It just directs the drive to have all the capacitors to release their electron at once. Boom. Disk erased.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#6 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 02:50 PM

I like using diskpart in Windows to do such a thing.
  • Open up command prompt
  • Type in 'diskpart' (diskpart launches in new cmd window)
  • Type in 'list disk' (lists all of the disks connected to the machine)
  • Type in 'select disk X' (X being the disk number that you want)
  • Type in 'clean'
  • done
Takes about 10 seconds from pressing the windows key and typing in cmd to being totally done the operation. Erases the drive and leaves everything as blank space with no file format.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro

#7 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6089 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:48 PM

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking I might end up just doing, taking my HDD dock off my Mac and connecting it to my Tiki.

Windows keeps creeping further and further into my life. I feel like videogames were a gateway drug. It's become especially bad since you can now run a Linux shell within Windows 10 as an officially-supported Microsoft solution. I basically have my trusty Mac bash window available in Windows now too.

Eric5h5:

#8 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:31 PM

Windows has really grown on me since starting an IT job supporting environments that have 95%+ Windows workstations, and around 75% Windows servers. OS X is still my primary OS, but here I am typing this from my gaming PC running Windows 10. My knowledge scales have definitely tipped towards Windows over Mac in the last year or two. I wish I could support more Mac environments, but Apple seems to be trending towards leaving the professional computing space entirely.

#9 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6089 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:47 PM

Yeah, that's my problem too. I still much prefer the MacOS, but there's been an overlap where Apple's allowing professional Macs to languish at the same time Microsoft is under new leadership and actually turning Windows into a really solid OS for the first time in decades. Once my G5 is finally retired soon, my setup will basically be just my Tiki on one side and my MacBook Pro connected to my 24" Apple Cinema Display on the other. MBP still gets used way, WAY more for work, but as I lose capabilities I'm starting to learn how to do the same things using Windows instead.

I used to be upset about it, but now I guess it is what it is. I have one of each, so I can use my Mac for as much as I can, and what I can't use it for, the PC picks up the slack as well as feeding my gaming habit. I was raging at how much Windows blows back in the Vista and 7 eras, but Microsoft really pulled their heads out of their butts with Windows 10 and it has come a LONG way in a very short time.

Eric5h5:

#10 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8087 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:29 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 26 March 2017 - 02:50 PM, said:

I like using diskpart in Windows to do such a thing.
  • Open up command prompt
  • Type in 'diskpart' (diskpart launches in new cmd window) …

View PostFrost, on 26 March 2017 - 04:48 PM, said:

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking I might end up just doing, taking my HDD dock off my Mac and connecting it to my Tiki.

Seems somewhat inconsistent that you are ready to use a command line tool under Windows, but not under macOS:

View PostFrost, on 24 March 2017 - 05:52 PM, said:

I know I can use the Terminal to do all this, but for frak's sake, I shouldn't need to hit the command line to do things on a 2017 MacOS that I could do with a nice graphical utility in a 2007 MacOS.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#11 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:46 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 27 March 2017 - 10:29 AM, said:

Seems somewhat inconsistent that you are ready to use a command line tool under Windows, but not under macOS:

I think he's mostly complaining Apple removed a GUI feature that has been there for years.

I fired up Drive Geinus and it looks like you can finish it's "shred/secure erase" function by crafting a fresh HFS+ partition, or leave it unformatted. I am shredding a drive now and will let chu know if it really doesn't initialize the drive when that option is not selected.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#12 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6089 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 05:43 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 27 March 2017 - 10:29 AM, said:

Extra context: Some of the customization I do for one product HAS to be done under Windows because it's the only OS that has the custom program written to save me like 30 minutes and hair pulling by jumping into a hex editor. If I'm going to have to use the command line, I might as well just do it all in one place.

Macdude: Thanks for the tip. I think I have an old copy of Drive Genius lying around... I need to see if they offer upgrade pricing.

Eric5h5:

#13 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:13 AM

Confirmed Drive Genius 4 can spit out an uninitialized drive.

Attached Files