23 replies to this topic

#1 Irishman

Irishman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 04:03 PM

In the past, I've been leery of Boot Camping Windows because of the price of a Windows 10 license.

Now, this past week I have seen two yt videos showing how you can download it from MS for free and check a tick box saying "I don't have a product key", and get a barebones installation.

Does anyone here know what the deal is about this?
COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!

#2 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:43 PM

That sounds like a sequence of events possible when it was free. I seem to recall bypassing that during the install then but I might be wrong. I am doubtful that it there is a simple or legal way that allows one to install Windows 10 for free at this point. I've never heard of any special "bare-bones" Windows 10. There is Windows 10 Home & Pro and the various rings if they still call them that of accepting unstable builds. In reality, Home users are the beta testers for Pro (business) users although I use the term beta loosely there as I think Windows 10 Home releases are more stable than what is normally considered a beta.

Are those You Tube videos recent? I'm guessing you would have checked the dates on them anyway but reading this made me wonder.

If your Mac hardware meets the specs for a decent variety of Windows titles you want, the price of admission is worth it in my opinion. I sprung for Windows 7 Home years back and got a lot of mileage out of it. The nice thing about a retail Windows purchase is that it is not tied to the hardware like an OEM version is and that is how the free Windows 10 worked (like an OEM version) as you may know. So, the Windows 10 license I have for my iMac is only good for this iMac and whenever I replace it, that's that. I'd need to buy Windows 10 again for a new Mac but then that purchased license would be transferable to future Macs or a PC. The one I got for free is completely useless once I part with this system.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#3 Irishman

Irishman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:28 PM

Yup, very recent, although they might be hearkening back to outdated info, which is why I decided to ask you guys.

https://www.youtube....ZGioE3A4&t=778s

and

https://www.youtube....h?v=sPNqQw80_iA
COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!

#4 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:01 PM

Hmm, well I just watched the first video and the guy seems on top of things. My initial thought was, does it time out at some point, would he have tested for that, say 30 days later or something? Hopefully it doesn't but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try and then in the worst case scenario pony up for the cheapest option of an OEM copy of Windows 10. Maybe it does stay enabled indefinitely but that seems so not-Microsoft, you know? They go to a lot of trouble to enforce licensing so to only withhold customization doesn't seem like them to me. I'd also wonder if that copy can get security updates. There is something I tend to doubt as the updater tests for "genuine" or in other words, registered Windows 10 before it will run. I recall that from my free copy even. I needed to go online and validate Windows before it would run updates and you cannot validate Windows before paying for it so far as I know.

It's like the old saying goes: if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#5 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:10 AM

You can install Windows 10, or even 7 for that matter, without a key. You then have something like 30 days to enter the license key, after that you get a black desktop, "this copy is not genuine" written on it, and in an alert box when you login/startup.

#6 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:03 AM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 20 January 2017 - 01:10 AM, said:

You can install Windows 10, or even 7 for that matter, without a key. You then have something like 30 days to enter the license key, after that you get a black desktop, "this copy is not genuine" written on it, and in an alert box when you login/startup.

Yea, anyone can download the ISO, and you get a 30 day grace period to activate. I am pretty sure they are going to have a poor experience after that with unactivated windows. :teehee:  

There is a deal where you can still get a free upgrade (still requires a previous version) if you have accessibility needs.

https://blogs.msdn.m...0-free-upgrade/
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#7 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3303 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:18 PM

Like other posters have mentioned, you can install Windows 10 and click "I don't have a key" and it will still install fine. There is no trick, or anything illegal about this. The copy of windows that you installed will work as the full version for a short period of time. If you do not activate (buy windows) then there are two things that happen: 1 - you cannot do any personalization; 2 - there will be a "This Copy of Windows is Not Genuine" watermark in the bottom corner.

I believe Windows Update still works (it wouldn't in previous Windows versions). You can get rid of the watermark by enrolling in the Windows Insider Program (it does not unlock personalization though).

Honestly, if you just need bootcamp for a single application then I think you'll be fine with not activating Windows, but if you plan on using it for any extended amount of time then I would just spend the $100ish on a Windows 10 key.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#8 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2178 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:15 AM

or grab a key for 20$ on Kinguin.

#9 Irishman

Irishman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:45 AM

I've been spending the last several days looking into the lingering questions I've had on installing Windows. For you guys who have used Bootcamp Assistant to install Win10 on your Macs, do you remember if you had to re-enter your network settings in Windows, or did BA import them itself? So far, none of the install videos I've seen make that clear.

#10 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3303 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:00 AM

View PostIrishman, on 06 February 2017 - 08:45 AM, said:

I've been spending the last several days looking into the lingering questions I've had on installing Windows. For you guys who have used Bootcamp Assistant to install Win10 on your Macs, do you remember if you had to re-enter your network settings in Windows, or did BA import them itself? So far, none of the install videos I've seen make that clear.

It won't import any network settings from macOS. Every network adapter in Windows will be set to automatic settings. You'll have to enter your WiFi password and/or configure any static settings that you might want to use.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro

#11 Irishman

Irishman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:29 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 06 February 2017 - 09:00 AM, said:

It won't import any network settings from macOS. Every network adapter in Windows will be set to automatic settings. You'll have to enter your WiFi password and/or configure any static settings that you might want to use.

Thanks for the quick reply. If I want to use my Google fiber connection to get the gigabit wired speeds we pay for, what setup is required for that?

#12 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3303 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:37 AM

View PostIrishman, on 06 February 2017 - 11:29 AM, said:

Thanks for the quick reply. If I want to use my Google fiber connection to get the gigabit wired speeds we pay for, what setup is required for that?

You don't need any special settings. Both macOS and Win10 will automatically work at gigabit networking speeds, so long as your networking hardware supports it. Connect via an Ethernet cable. Both Cat5E and Cat6 are capable of gigabit, so long as you aren't running a huge cable length (Every router sold for years now should have gigabit ethernet ports). If you are using wireless you will likely be limited in your bandwidth. The best 802.11ac wireless access points can get gigabit speeds over the 5 GHz spectrum, but most home routers will not be able to do so.

Also keep in mind the 1 Gbit = 1000 Mbit, which is 120 MB/s in speed (bit vs byte).

#13 Irishman

Irishman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 03:32 PM

I bought a 16GB PNY usb stick and wonder if I need to format it for Mac OS extended before installing Windows on it? Or just leave it the way it is? (I guess formatted for Windows?)

#14 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3303 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 03:56 PM

The bootcamp assistant formats the USB for you and puts the WIndows install media onto it.

Bootcamp has a very automated and simple setup. There are very few things to configure (only major one is how much space do you want to give you Windows partition). I would just go ahead and do it. You can always just wipe the bootcamp partition and restore that space back to macOS with just a few clicks if need be.

#15 porkopoulos

porkopoulos

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 12:23 PM

This is what I did to play Assassin's Creed on my MBP. Works fine. I hope that when the 30 days are up I can still play without any problems. It was my only reason to install it really. After I'm done with the game I'll be deleting the partition.

#16 Irishman

Irishman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 11:53 AM

Hi, everyone, just a quick update to let you know how things are going on my unactivated Windows 10 install.

Still get the "please activate" watermark on my desktop, and still can't change themes and the like (but who cares, right?)

I am still able to apply Windows updates as they're available, and still able to update Steam and the Epic Games Launcher. In fact, I bought the latest Wolfenstein game and it's fun so far (but my Mac has the same problems in Windows as I did in Rage under OSX (texture pop-in due to not enough VRAM). I also bought Doom 2016 during the Steam Summer Sale, and wow, what a difference a new graphics engine makes!! Guess which game runs better and smoother on my Mac with no texture pop-in? Doom 2016 FTW, baby!!

If any of you were leery as I was about being able to enjoy this cutting edge game at playable frame rate on an aging Mac, don't be! Yes, I'm running everything set to the lowest everything, you'd be surprised to learn just how good the game looks on those settings!

Just my 2 cents.... :)

#17 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 12 July 2017 - 02:10 PM

View PostIrishman, on 12 July 2017 - 11:53 AM, said:

…(but my Mac has the same problems in Windows as I did in Rage under OSX (texture pop-in due to not enough VRAM). …
That hasn't much to do with the amount of VRAM, it's just how the idTech 4 engine works. It's notorious for the texture pop-in.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#18 Irishman

Irishman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 03:15 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 12 July 2017 - 02:10 PM, said:

That hasn't much to do with the amount of VRAM, it's just how the idTech 4 engine works. It's notorious for the texture pop-in.

Have you watched Youtube playthroughs of games based on idTech 4? PCs and Macs using more than 512MB of VRAM (which is what my Mac is limited to) show much, much less visible texture pop-in.

https://www.youtube....?v=yz2m2QLDkT0.

#19 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17434 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:25 PM

View PostIrishman, on 12 July 2017 - 03:15 PM, said:

Have you watched Youtube playthroughs of games based on idTech 4? PCs and Macs using more than 512MB of VRAM (which is what my Mac is limited to) show much, much less visible texture pop-in.

I have an 8GB video card and I've never seen pop-in in RAGE.  Been playing a LOT of it lately too.  Awesome game.  So anyway that's my experience with it.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#20 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:40 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 12 July 2017 - 05:25 PM, said:

I have an 8GB video card and I've never seen pop-in in RAGE.  Been playing a LOT of it lately too.  Awesome game.  So anyway that's my experience with it.

pssss friend. 8GB > 512MB
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD