26 replies to this topic

#1 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 December 2016 - 12:14 PM

Started playing this recently and holy cow, New Vegas is Skyrim in a post apocalyptic desert!  It's Skyrim way down to the Engine I think.  Too many things are exactly like they were in Skyrim.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#2 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3820 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 16 December 2016 - 02:04 PM

What do they take to the knee?
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#3 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 03:00 PM

You know, after 198 hours I've yet to hear that line in Skyrim but I suppose the closest analogy would be a spear.  A pack of 10 spears was given to me along with other gear and supplies at the start of the game.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#4 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6095 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 16 December 2016 - 05:30 PM

I used to be a Vault Boy like you. Then I took a 10mm to the knee.

On another note, I LOVE Fallout: New Vegas. Skyrim with guns and radiation is accurate.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#5 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 10:41 AM

So are all of the Fallout games based on the available Elder Scrolls engine?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#6 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 17 December 2016 - 10:53 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 17 December 2016 - 10:41 AM, said:

So are all of the Fallout games based on the available Elder Scrolls engine?

Not entirely ... ?

Fallout 1 and 2 were ISO turn based. Fallout Tactics was a bastard child.

Fallout 3, and New Vegas are off oblivion/skyrim engine (I think in between?), so yeah an elder scrolls engine. Same kind of mods and modding community and 'unofficial official patch mod that bethesda shoulda done but never cared to bother'.

Fallout 4 is bethesda too, so I'm betting they lazed out as well and its just a hackjob of skyrim or something. Same kind of mods too.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#7 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6095 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 09:05 PM

Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics were Black Isle (the original developer) and were isometric RPGs with turn-based combat in the style of Spiderweb's recent games (albeit far more advanced in graphics and effects, being AAA releases). Tactics was meh, but I can't recommend 1 and 2 enough, especially 1 which is up there as one of my favorite RPGs ever.

Fallout 3 was after Bethesda bought the rights to Fallout, and uses their Gamebryo engine that they use for the Elder Scrolls games. Fallout: New Vegas is basically the modded Gamebryo engine Fallout 3 used, but with a lot of performance improvements and some of the more obnoxious bugs that Fallout 3 had ironed out. Obsidian, the guys who developed New Vegas, are mostly the same folks who used to be the now-defunct Black Isle, so New Vegas is unique for having a lot more of the original Fallout feel to the universe and much deeper storytelling reminiscent of Fallout 1 and 2 than Fallout 3 and 4 (Bethesda).

Fallout 4 uses a heavily upgraded version of Gamebryo with significantly better graphics and effects, and a lot of backend upgrades that allow them to do fancier stuff with the engine. But still Gamebryo at the end of the day.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#8 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 19 December 2016 - 09:33 AM

Information nugget of the day. Omni Group did the original Fallout 1 and 2 ports for macOS.

Also information. GoG originally had Mac OS ports of Fallout 1 and 2 under interplay (i think they wrapped the dos versions). When the rights changed hands to bethesda they were pulled from gog and rereleased a couple months later with only the windows versions. Apparently bethesda is uninterested in the macOS ports GoG did as it's only been offered for Windows ever since.

I still have the Mac apps in my account as Fallout Classic, as well as a number of goodies that are no longer available with the current windows versions.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#9 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 09:43 AM

Bethesda are becoming the new ubisoft.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#10 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:53 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 19 December 2016 - 09:43 AM, said:

Bethesda are becoming the new ubisoft.

What does that mean?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#11 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:58 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 19 December 2016 - 10:53 AM, said:

What does that mean?

MEAN WE HATE THEM.

Though Ubisoft has been making some consumer friendly moves lately, to everyone's surprise. WHAT IS THIS BIZZARO WORLD.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#12 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 11:54 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 19 December 2016 - 10:58 AM, said:

MEAN WE HATE THEM.

Though Ubisoft has been making some consumer friendly moves lately, to everyone's surprise. WHAT IS THIS BIZZARO WORLD.

Hehe yeah... ubisoft may very well NOT be on the bottom of the barrel soon :D

-Fm [1oM7]

#13 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 05:52 PM

Hey that's cool.  Just tell me who to hate and watch me go like the Energizer Bunny.  I would have made an awesome SJW.  Not that this will make any difference in my rage ratio and hate dispersal, but what is it they do that makes me so mad?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#14 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6095 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:46 PM

I think Rainbow Six: Siege is what is fixing UbiSoft. I forget which Ubi studio is working on that game, but they have basically been the Mirror Universe UbiSoft. The game had a very mediocre launch, but they poured everything into good support, great interaction with the community, quickly addressing issues, major backend changes to get rid of cheaters on all platforms, and are continuing to support and expand it even beyond the first year. As a result it's turned into a sleeper hit, where sales started slow but picked up massively.

It's like Ubi management noticed one of their studios getting adulation from their customers rather than the usual "frak be upon these cunts" attitude, and is using the Siege studio as a model. Which works for me! Even The Division which I heaped hate on has actually been overhauled and is a WAY better and more enjoyable game now (props to Janichsan for pointing out I should take a second look at it post-overhaul).

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 19 December 2016 - 05:52 PM, said:

Hey that's cool.  Just tell me who to hate and watch me go like the Energizer Bunny.  I would have made an awesome SJW.  Not that this will make any difference in my rage ratio and hate dispersal, but what is it they do that makes me so mad?

I imagine this being tBC in another 10 years:

Posted Image

Eric5h5:

#15 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 11:07 AM

Actually I asked a serious question about why Bethesda and Ubisoft is so hated, only it was just dressed up as a joke.  What are they doing that makes them so hated?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#16 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 11:35 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 21 December 2016 - 11:07 AM, said:

Actually I asked a serious question about why Bethesda and Ubisoft is so hated, only it was just dressed up as a joke.  What are they doing that makes them so hated?

It's like a half joke with Bethesda, we joke but they are ambitious. Say what you will I think they try for a good experience.

Ubisoft however

They have made some grade A popsnizzle sandwich DRM snafus in the past. Ubisoft's late 200s DRM tried to prevent piracy by requiring players to have an active internet connection at all times while playing a game. Any game. NO internet connection no game, on single player games. If your connection dropped at any stage then the game would immediately stop, bing bang boom. Dead. Steam (as DRM) might not be the bee's knees but it's easy to use and doesn't get in your way and offline mode has always worked fine for me. Ideally we'd live in a GOG DRM free world but I can appreciate a company protecting their IP. I can't appreciate you fraking killing my game because media com flaked out.

Recent Ubisoft games that have come out on PC have the worst ports. Case in point, Assassins Creed Unity.

https://www.extremet...ed-full-of-bugs

A while back an UBI executive called ALL PC gamers pirates, as an excuse why they don't work hard on PC ports. Way to generalize and stereotype asshole.

https://thetechjourn...s-ubisoft.xhtml

EA has been trying to clean up their act and improve their relationship with consumers. Ubisoft came along downed a texas fifth of lauders and told gamers to frak off, so there has been a lot of hate for Ubisoft the past 5-10 years.

#17 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 02:35 PM

My Ubisoft games are buggy.  Now I know why.  Thanks for the info.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#18 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6095 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 02:39 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 21 December 2016 - 11:35 AM, said:

A while back an UBI executive called ALL PC gamers pirates, as an excuse why they don't work hard on PC ports. Way to generalize and stereotype asshole.

Which CliffyB also showed was a great way to turn your supporters against you. He made the exact same comment during the Gears of War era, and all of a sudden all the Unreal fans who loved him were burning him in effigy and never forgave, and never forgot.

And that was a guy PC gamers generally liked; nevermind a random Ubi exec.

Eric5h5:

#19 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 04:16 PM

As with bethesda... its that they are lazy as hell, when modders prove fixes to the game through MODS, and bethesda still wont incorporate said fixes into a patch. Its like they are brain dead or something... ever hear of PATCHING A GAME dippopsnizzles? Even after the community does the work FOR THEM... they still wont make the 'unofficial official' patches as part of the game vanilla.

I mean, you have to go into a bethesda game knowing: "im gonna have to mod this, or figure out how, or find all the 3rd party stuff to make this game actually run better than total crap"

Thats why I say bethesda is becoming the new ubisoft.

Its also why lately I have been enjoying a lot of indie development pieces... because the devs care enough to keep pushing patches and work on fixes (FOR FREE). Not charge everyone for a 'dlc' that includes some new content, but, oh, all the fixes too. Sounds like adobe.

-Fm [1oM7]

#20 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 05:16 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 21 December 2016 - 04:16 PM, said:

As with bethesda... its that they are lazy as hell, when modders prove fixes to the game through MODS, and bethesda still wont incorporate said fixes into a patch. Its like they are brain dead or something... ever hear of PATCHING A GAME dippopsnizzles? Even after the community does the work FOR THEM... they still wont make the 'unofficial official' patches as part of the game vanilla.

I'd chalk it up to their ambition but for the amount of money they rake in on Elder Scrolls games, and the fact the community does the fixes for them. I'll give them 1 quarter ubi. Like Bethesda does not have the fervent malice toward their customers that ubisoft has displayed. At best it's indifference.