24 replies to this topic

#1 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17420 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 22 November 2016 - 07:07 PM

I'm looking in the Steam store at the Fallout: New Vegas page.  They offer an Ultimate Edition for twice the price.  It has  the pre-order goodies in it and a couple of scenarios.  Is it worth it?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#2 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6089 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 22 November 2016 - 07:21 PM

Yes. ALL of the New Vegas DLC was excellent, not one dud in the group, and put together probably doubles the amount of content in the game.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#3 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 23 November 2016 - 04:18 PM

I had gotten some sort of 'full collection' with that game, and although its great to have more content, it was a little confusing because the content is like "there" in the game from day one... and you just dont realize it. Sometimes you side track into it, not high enough level, and get your ass handed to you lol.

But yeah, its a decent game. If you like Skyrim, you will enjoy Fallout New Vegas more. Just be sure you grab the Official Unofficial Update which includes some 37562313 fixes that bethesda never bothered to include. (typical)

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#4 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17420 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 06:44 PM

Steam updates it's games automatically, how does one run this Official Unofficial Update?  Won't steam think the game is hacked?  And I like your heads up about the additional content, I'll get the $10 version to start with.  I'll buy the others after I have a play through without them.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#5 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:53 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 23 November 2016 - 06:44 PM, said:

Steam updates it's games automatically, how does one run this Official Unofficial Update?  Won't steam think the game is hacked?  And I like your heads up about the additional content, I'll get the $10 version to start with.  I'll buy the others after I have a play through without them.

Naw you just grab the Nexus Mod Manager and have at it.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#6 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17420 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:57 PM

Awesome.  My mind maked upedness is like a ping pong ball in the bathtub.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#7 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6089 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:37 PM

I'll still vote for getting the whole package. The DLC stuff is available on the quest list from the start, yes, but it doesn't have to be done, and they warn you about the suggested level prior to going into any of them. The only big caveat is to do the Honest Hearts questline before you get too much beyond level 25 or so. It gets all wonky if you're really high level, with random tribal dudes having .50 cal rifles that blow your damn leg off and they don't miss. Below 25 it's awesome.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#8 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 24 November 2016 - 01:46 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 23 November 2016 - 06:44 PM, said:

And I like your heads up about the additional content, I'll get the $10 version to start with.  I'll buy the others after I have a play through without them.

Actually Steam has started their Autumn sale, and Fallout NV Ultimate Edition is now at $10 (I guess, since it's €10 in Europe). Also it's almost always cheaper to buy a complete/GOTY/ultimate edition than adding DLCs to the main game later.

#9 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 08:50 AM

Yeah, tBC, be sure to grab 'all in one', as its a better deal overall.

As for that unofficial official patch, its a mod, like any mod, but its a mod that fixes tons of stuff in the game. All these bethesda mods go in 'after' the original game files (thus overriding stuff in the official game files).

Steam wont think you are cheating, because none of bethesda games uses the anti-cheat technology (plus rarly any of them are multipleayer?). So, you are safe to mod the livin frick out of Fallout NV, and Skyrim... heck, its almost mandatory just to enjoy the games ;)

But frost made a good point about when to start those quests. If you go INTO the game knowing there are going to be some weird random misssions already 'in your face' even during the tutoriall... then you'll know when to ignore those until the time is right. I did not, as when I played the game, I had zero prior warning about anything other than people saying "ITS AWESOME GET IT OMG PLAYYYYY EEET"... so I was clueless, and the extra missions already there confused me, and I broke popsnizzle doing the wrong popsnizzle at the wrong time and popsnizzle and that ...

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#10 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 09:54 AM

And then when you are done with Fallout NV, there is Fallout 4 to be had afterwards! (which I dont have, so I cant say if its any good, but its bethesda, which means it needs a year of modders fixing all the problems in it before its worth buying).

-Fm [1oM7]

#11 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17420 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 09:54 AM

Okie dokie.  I'll get the Deluxe version with the Official Unofficial Patch and watch my step.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#12 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6089 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 06:10 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 24 November 2016 - 09:54 AM, said:

And then when you are done with Fallout NV, there is Fallout 4 to be had afterwards! (which I dont have, so I cant say if its any good, but its bethesda, which means it needs a year of modders fixing all the problems in it before its worth buying).

Fallout 4 has issues, but it's still frakking great. If for no other reason than they changed Power Armor back to functioning like it did in Fallout 1 and 2 rather than just being glorified Combat Armor+ like in Fallout 3 and New Vegas, and it's glorious. You step into the U.S. Army's T-51b for the first time and you feel like the God of Democracy ready to go forth and stamp out the mutant communist menace.

I mean, in the game's lore, Power Armor was such a huge force multiplier it literally caused the apocalypse, as the Chinese launched the nukes as a division of mechanized T-51b-equipped American infantry was entering Beijing and they had nothing to stop them. Acquiring and using it should feel like a power fantasy. Only gripe with Fallout 4 is they made it way too plentiful rather than a rarity that you spend most of the game hoping to acquire a la Fallout 1 & 2.

Eric5h5:

#13 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 02:14 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 24 November 2016 - 09:54 AM, said:

And then when you are done with Fallout NV, there is Fallout 4 to be had afterwards!

And Fallout 3 of course, if you haven't played it yet.

#14 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 08:07 AM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 25 November 2016 - 02:14 AM, said:

And Fallout 3 of course, if you haven't played it yet.

I heard it wasnt worth the trouble but other friends, so I never looked into it.

-Fm [1oM7]

#15 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 25 November 2016 - 05:01 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 23 November 2016 - 08:57 PM, said:

Awesome.  My mind maked upedness is like a ping pong ball in the bathtub.

Boy, can I relate to that.

I've been going a wee bit crazy trying to decide what to buy during the Black Friday sales on the PlayStation Store and Amazon. Fallout 4 is one of the games on my wish list but I might hold off for a game of the year special later where I've not played New Vegas yet and have a ton of other stuff to play. I have difficulty bringing myself to pay more than 40 bucks tops for any game in complete form but some new stuff has tempted me I think in part because I just never let myself play brand new games and I very rarely ever have. I've never bought a brand new $60. release and games hit that price point for new AAA a long time ago now.

I've had this strange temptation to buy a brand new release, season pass and all and play it immediately when I get it, for the first time ever because me buying anything full price pre-dates season passes. It might pre-date DLC. It might pre-date the web. Yeah, I think it probably does. I wonder where all the money I've saved went.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#16 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 05:32 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 25 November 2016 - 08:07 AM, said:

I heard it wasnt worth the trouble but other friends, so I never looked into it.

Well, I did enjoy Fallout 3. Its Metacritic score is very good, too, so usually that's a good sign.

#17 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 12:01 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 24 November 2016 - 09:54 AM, said:

Okie dokie.  I'll get the Deluxe version with the Official Unofficial Patch and watch my step.

I started a second playthrough of New Vegas (done the first a couple years ago), this time I'll play in hardcore mode and with the following mods:
- Yukichigai's Unofficial Patch
- NVAC - New Vegas Anti Crash
- Cipscis' Automatic Save Manager: New Vegas - CASM:NV
- FNV 4GB Patcher
- Ultra High Quality NMCs Texture Pack + OJO BUENO ultra Texture Pack
- ENHANCED SHADERS - ENB

#18 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17420 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:17 PM

Holy cow.  I want to look into those.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#19 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:48 AM

I couldn't make the Enhanced Shaders work. Could be a known issue with Windows 10. I've seen recommendations to use ReShade instead of ENB, and while the game did launch with that, the image was very dark. So I give up!
All other mods load correctly, though.

#20 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 08:33 AM

Sounds like what I do when trying to mod bethesda games to look better like people post shots of. It either crashes, wont launch at all, or runs so popsnizzle slow that its not worth the extra bling at all!

-Fm [1oM7]