DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1554 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 22 November 2016 - 03:43 PM

What do you guys like and use in the way of gaming headsets on consoles and PC for that matter? I think I am going to pull the trigger on this one to go with my PS4 but which I can also use with other stuff. I know a new one is coming from SONY but it's going to be twice the money so for my purposes these should be cool:

https://www.amazon.c...HS99QJAA1Q&th=1
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#2 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6089 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 22 November 2016 - 05:25 PM

I've honestly found every official offering from Sony and Microsoft to be pretty disappointing on quality. Big names like Astro and Turtle Beach are even worse; they rip you off for 3-4x the price of what they should charge for the quality of components used.

My recommendation would go to Sennheiser's various gaming options. They've got solid offerings from the $50 to $300 range depending on your budget. Obviously a $300 set will sound tons better than a $50 set, but you get what you pay for.

The absolute cream of the crop if you've got a large budget would be the beyerdynamic MMX 300s. They married one of their mid-range audiophile sets to the mic from one of their aviation headsets, and the result is the best damn gaming headphones ever. They're what I upgraded to in 2013 and I LOVE them. They're about $350-400, normally but Beach Camera's got them on sale for $239 at the moment.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#3 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2040 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:24 PM

I have a couple different pairs of turtle beach models that both work well.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#4 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:54 AM

I own the one that you linked Harry. It works well enough on both PC and PS4 by just plugging in the USB receiver on whichever device you are using. The convenience of wireless is really nice, although my battery only last a few hours now.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#5 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 06:23 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 23 November 2016 - 08:54 AM, said:

I own the one that you linked Harry. It works well enough on both PC and PS4 by just plugging in the USB receiver on whichever device you are using. The convenience of wireless is really nice, although my battery only last a few hours now.

That's nice to hear. I found a nice little converter with lots of good reviews I had been talking about with Frost in the other off topic audio thread I posted and while at it I did go ahead and order the SONY headset which for me is going to be fine for the time being. For under a hundred bucks and with free 2-day shipping I made out pretty good hopefully. The new toys should be here to play with on Friday.

Speaking of Friday, as in Black Friday... wow are there some sweet deals on the PlayStation Store now. Mad Max is less than 10 bucks, the most recent Wolfenstein game is under 7 bucks and lots more! I'd installed the PlayStation app on my iPhone and noticed it had a couple messages for me. One of those turned out to be SONY giving me 10 bucks credit at the store because I am new I think. That works for me! So, Mad Max for free? Yes, please!

#6 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6089 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 23 November 2016 - 06:47 PM

Free Mad Max all the way, man. That is a great game.

I think they're running a sale on Titanfall 2 for Black Friday as well. I'll just plug that again because I had so much fun playing that game. Even if you're not interested in the multiplayer component, the campaign was great fun with creative level design that hearkens back to the days before everything in first person shooters was a boring corridor.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#7 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 04:02 PM

The cheapo DAC I got for the TV to stereo works like a charm. I'm very happy about that solution for the time being. The headset is fine too. I wouldn't call it exceptional but it is decent and the price was good for it on sale. So I got good bargains on both accounts to hold me over until I spend for better.