Ordered my new console on Amazon tonight!

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 04 November 2016 - 11:42 PM

I took a loan to help me cover the costs associated with my recent move and added enough to get me a console while I was at it. I've been wanting one for a very long time now. After careful deliberation I decided on a PlayStation 4 but I did not go with the Pro.

Wait! I can explain! You will probably disagree with me but I'm explaining this choice anyway. My television is a 1080p model which of course does not support HDR. The two greatest reasons by far to want the PS4 Pro in my opinion are 4k and HDR as this is where the greatest visual fidelity gains will be had. Sure, some of the existing catalog will be upgraded but my guess is that a great deal of it will not. For example, Destiny and The Witcher 3 are not getting any upgrades. The list of confirmed upgrades that Gamespot is keeping updated as of November 4th only included a small number of games with relatively minor graphical fidelity upgrades and not one of those was mentioned to be getting a 30 to 60 FPS change. I realize that Gamespot is not the be all and end all of information on this but I think if there was substantially more to report in this area they would be as they are keeping this list updated. They have a bunch of titles also listed with a presently unknown status.

In any event, I am not saying 1080p television owners will not see benefits in both some older games and probably many new releases but for the 1080p crowd I expect this to be marginal from my own point of view compared to the benefits that will be seen with 4k sets supporting HDR. Because of this and because I am not as fussy as some folks about 30 FPS and a few extra bits of eye candy, I decided I'd be better off saving a hundred bucks and going with the PS4 Slim. I used that money for a year of PSN and some games instead.

So with that out of the way don't be raining on my parade about not getting the Pro please. I am absolutely thrilled about this and really excited that it'll be arriving on Monday. I got Amazon Prime while I was at it for the free shipping and streaming shows, movies, etc. on my new toy along with its other perks. I've been having fun recently playing some old stuff on my PS2 so for me this is one huge upgrade of course and it will run stuff my iMac can't or would not run as well now and going forward. So I can't wait for Monday to set it up and try it out from the comfort of my couch which is positioned in my new living room perfectly for me to be lying down comfortably while playing. I am just so psyched!

The total damage with NC sales tax was 478 bucks for the following:

PS4 Slim bundled with Uncharted 4
Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection
The Last of Us Remastered
Grand Theft Auto V
Diablo III Ultimate Evil Edition
One Year PlayStation Plus Membership

That should keep me busy for a while. I plan to start off with the first Uncharted game and go from there.

I cancelled WoW. I'm done. I like it but it is too time consuming and I want to experience a lot of other stuff and I'm sick of paying a monthly that adds up to 180 bucks annually and it you count in the average expansion expense it rises to over 200. So instead I'll be getting my MMO fix from ESO when I feel like it without a subscription. It'll be a nice change anyway when I get to it.

There is a ton of games I want to play on the PS4 which presently are wish listed on Amazon but I'll be watching for deals on the PlayStation Store for digital releases too. I setup my account there already. Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition is only going to run me about 7 bucks on sale so I'm going to grab that and don't laugh but Arcania Complete or whatever they called it for only 5 bucks is a good deal also. I've played some of that game and while it is not exactly an epic RPG with fantastic visuals, etc. it is not terrible either in my opinion. I liked what I saw of it so for 5 bucks I'll give that a play on my new toy.

The PS2 compatible releases on the store are a lot fewer than I expected to see. I hope they do some more there but I was happy to see the old Star Wars pod racing game which is really fun and does a great job of capturing the feeling of traveling extremely fast.

Something else I am psyched about is the streaming video options it makes available. The package for 30 bucks gives me the local television I wanted much cheaper than any other option I am aware of so I plan to try out PlayStation Vue I think it is called. This thing will obsolete my Apple TV which is fine with me. It already was as a last gen one anyway.

I guess I missed the memo but I did not realize they also have a streaming service to access a large library of PS3 titles. The question of course is how well does that work? I imagine those of you with PS4s may have tried this and I am curious about what you thought of it. I think they have a free trial anyway. If so, I'll give it a spin and see if I think it is worthwhile or not. To give you an idea of how long I've been wishing for this, for a long time I had a wish list for a PS3 and games to go with it which has since gone away but there was some great stuff I wanted to play on one at the time so maybe I still can.

So, that's the news. Mr. Can't Make Up His Mind finally did! I like to think that later on I'll be able to add the new Nintendo console too but for some time I expect to be happily occupied on my comfy couch enjoying my new PS4 games. :)
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#2 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6089 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 November 2016 - 01:20 AM

You probably won't see much widespread difference with the Pro till we're a year out from release and plenty of games are out to take advantage of it anyway. If you really feel behind at that point, hey... eBay your PS4, spend $100 more than what you get for it, buy a Pro, done.

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 04 November 2016 - 11:42 PM, said:

I guess I missed the memo but I did not realize they also have a streaming service to access a large library of PS3 titles. The question of course is how well does that work? I imagine those of you with PS4s may have tried this and I am curious about what you thought of it. I think they have a free trial anyway. If so, I'll give it a spin and see if I think it is worthwhile or not.

Last I played it, not that well. I got an invite to help test PS Now (the PS3 streaming service) since I'm very close to the Texas data center, and even with my proximity to it, there was quite a bit of input lag. Probably 60-100 ms easily, possibly worse. Not unplayable mind you, but about equivalent to a really laggy HDTV with a pile of image processing turned on. It got a bit better during the test, but it hadn't improved to the point I'd even consider subscribing by the time the test ended and they went live.

They should've just spent the cash on custom-brewed backwards compatibility wrappers like Microsoft did with the Xbox 360.

I think the problem has more to do with however Sony handles streaming than just the distance and internet router switching times. I noticed this even when I stream my PS4 to my PS Vita. For example, I'm about 60 miles from home right now, with my PS4 and PC hooked up to a gigabit internet connection at home. Streaming games to my NVIDIA Shield Portable using NVIDIA's GameStream tech, it feels like I have maybe half the lag I have when streaming to my PS Vita using Sony's RemotePlay streaming tech. I notice about the same amount of lag even when I'm streaming from the PS4 inside my home. Meanwhile, PC to Shield inside the home's latency is so small as to barely be there.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#3 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 06:48 PM

Yeah, I don't think I'd lose too much on the PS4 Slim if down the road (depending on how long of course) I decide I want to spring for the Pro. For now though this is just going to really rock so I'm wired for sound waiting for tomorrow to come. I feel like a little kid who can't sleep the night before Christmas. This is going to be really great.

I had some doubts about streaming but I am just guessing the impact of the lag varies depending on the type of game? I mean, I can see that being painful in any multiplayer shooter for example but maybe not so much playing some RPG or something. I guess I'll have to experience that firsthand to see how it feels to me. There's a number of games in particular I'd like trying if they have them available and seeing how those ones play in particular. I can't see going back for any of the shooters with what is available now. I'll need a lot of single player practice getting used to playing shooters with a controller anyway before I become fresh meat online. So I'll stick to some new ones for that.

I'd agree that it's too bad they didn't go the route Microsoft did for backwards compatibility but I have no idea what issues that may have posed in their situation with their hardware and operating system, etc. Whenever I get around to it I'll report in on how the trial of that goes with the games I try just for fun - or maybe not fun. I guess I'll see about that later. The games I am getting initially will keep me pretty busy for a while and I have plenty more new ones I am looking forward to playing over time.

I love my new home here which is just across the street from where I was. It is a large historic home that was made into a duplex. My neighbor is a very nice lady who is a teacher and has a son who I noted is an Xbox fan when she gave me a tour of her side of the house. I asked him what games he liked to play and made some comments about ones I like and he looked up at me completely mystified that this old bald guy would even know anything at all about games I think. It was kind of funny. Kids must think there is no life after 30 or something. Maybe I did too once upon a time. Anyway, this place is so cool with all old fashioned wide board hardwood floors throughout, a huge kitchen with an island, fully applianced, central HVAC, awesome high ceilings which make for great acoustics in here even with my stuff moved in and all kinds of character like woodwork from 100 years ago. It's in beautiful shape. I have a huge wrap around railing porch to enjoy. I'm within walking distance of downtown, the library, some stores and stuff which is nice. The living room is huge too and a perfect place to hang out and enjoy my new toy, watching the boob tube, playing the stereo, etc. What was a dining room with a large walk in closet to store stuff is where I set up the birds and one in particular who loves looking outside has an awesome view here. He loves it. I forget how I got into all this now but anyway I guess I can get away with derailing my own thread. It's sort of related anyway. I have a great place to setup and enjoy the new toy. That's probably how I got going on the new home. It has really cool fireplaces too in the living room, bird's room and kitchen with some rather fancy mantles with pillars on either side and a mirror above the mantle. Two out of three have been replaced over the years but the one in the living room is actually the original glass. Well, enough about the new house but I'm feeling very fortunate these days with so much going so well.

I just realized I said above, "waiting for tomorrow to come." I must be a little high on life or something because tomorrow is Sunday and nothing is being delivered until Monday. I'll just have to occupy myself somehow until Monday.

#4 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6089 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 07:20 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 05 November 2016 - 06:48 PM, said:

I had some doubts about streaming but I am just guessing the impact of the lag varies depending on the type of game? I mean, I can see that being painful in any multiplayer shooter for example but maybe not so much playing some RPG or something. I guess I'll have to experience that firsthand to see how it feels to me. There's a number of games in particular I'd like trying if they have them available and seeing how those ones play in particular. I can't see going back for any of the shooters with what is available now. I'll need a lot of single player practice getting used to playing shooters with a controller anyway before I become fresh meat online. So I'll stick to some new ones for that.

Yeah, you got it right on the money. Multiplayer shooters, FORGET IT unless you're a masochist and like getting your ass handed to you even by bad players. MP I would only play coop modes. Single-player shooters, well, it depends. Something really fast-paced like Titanfall, you'll probably have issues. Something slow-paced like Destiny, you can work around the input latency. Something even slower similar to Gears of War would be the absolute best as the input latency is not much of an issue.

Fighting games are the worst. I couldn't play Mortal Kombat worth popsnizzle when streaming. Missed almost all my blocks, always screwed up combos.

An RPG or strategy game or action/adventure or something of that sort, it would probably hardly even matter unless it's one of those that has like a timed hit bar thingie during fights. Even racing games are doable as long as you remember to time your inputs slightly ahead of where you need to be.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#5 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 07:47 PM

That sounds somewhat encouraging as the kinds of games most likely to be ok are the ones I'd be looking for of the PS3 stuff.

#6 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 05 November 2016 - 08:01 PM

Hope you like RSI.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#7 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 09:13 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 05 November 2016 - 08:01 PM, said:

Hope you like RSI.

I had surgery to relocate my ulnar nerve already on my left arm when carpal tunnel was ruled out and they discovered the issue was nerve compression in my elbow area that required slicing my arm open for most of its length and transposing the nerve to a new location to prevent further damage to it. After that experience I wouldn't go back to let them do the other arm. It's a good thing I let them do the worst arm of the two first. Nerve pain is so exquisite. It's what I imagine being struck by lightning must feel like. Some of my fingers remain numb permanently in both hands.

Basically, I am indestructible even after the mouse and keyboard tried to disable me. I am like the six million dollar gamer. They could rebuild me. I am now better, faster, etc. I also enjoy quiet walks in the park and I'm a big fan of all things Fisher Price.

Given the shape my arms and hands are in, any controller will be far easier on me than using a desktop computer which will be goodness. Currently I use rolled up towels to keep my wrists elevated because I can't hack being at a desktop for any length of time anymore any other way. I don't recall getting into this before but it is a significant reason that spending more time with console games and less time with desktop computer games will be good for me.

Interestingly, my surgeon told me that the problem I had/have can be a RSI but often it happens for other unrelated reasons.

#8 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 09:32 AM

Anyway, you need to get a PS4 and adapt because that is now the official console of me and so does tBC so we can play BL2 on the PSN for the ultimate experience in coop gaming because you just haven't lived until you play online with yours truly.

#9 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6089 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 10:37 AM

I would play with you, but Steam. :P

Eric5h5:

#10 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 10:55 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 06 November 2016 - 09:32 AM, said:

Anyway, you need to get a PS4 and adapt because that is now the official console of me and so does tBC so we can play BL2 on the PSN for the ultimate experience in coop gaming because you just haven't lived until you play online with yours truly.

Had one at launch, basically the thing is so bad I had to pay someone to get rid of it.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#11 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17419 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 02:42 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 06 November 2016 - 09:32 AM, said:

I like the idea of this but not even a month ago I bought a $1600 gaming PC and I'm dumping another 700 for a HD monitor this month.  Sort of hard to explain another one to the little woman without her becoming the big fist.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#12 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 09:29 PM

Oh, here we go with the lame excuses. Just man up you two and do what needs to be done!

#13 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6089 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 09:40 PM

Best solution: Everybody has computers. Play BL2 on the Steams!

Eric5h5:

#14 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 07:26 AM

I only play on OUYA.

#15 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8085 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 07 November 2016 - 07:30 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 07 November 2016 - 07:26 AM, said:

I only play on OUYA.
Oh, so you're the one still doing that.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#16 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:16 AM

2017 is the year of the OUYA
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#17 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:27 AM

Make Ouya great again

#18 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17419 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:53 AM

View PostFrost, on 06 November 2016 - 09:40 PM, said:

Best solution: Everybody has computers. Play BL2 on the Steams!

That's what Macdude, Nate and I have been trying to do for the last 3 months.  We have 3 people with a slot open for Harry and a 15 page PM begging him repeatedly to play BL2 with us.  He won't do it.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#19 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 11:08 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 07 November 2016 - 09:53 AM, said:

That's what Macdude, Nate and I have been trying to do for the last 3 months.  We have 3 people with a slot open for Harry and a 15 page PM begging him repeatedly to play BL2 with us.  He won't do it.

DID YOU KNOW THAT OVER 97% OF ALL LIVING THINGS ON PANDORA AREN'T EXPLODING RIGHT NOW? THAT'S BULLpopsnizzle. BUY TORGUE.

#20 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6089 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 03:36 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 07 November 2016 - 09:53 AM, said:

Well... his loss for having to be a special snowflake!

Eric5h5: