12 replies to this topic

#1 BifBologna

BifBologna

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 09:12 PM

Would any of you fine people happen to have, or have the ability to extract, the "They're Everywhere!" sound clip from M2? I seem to have misplaced (I suspect my wife) my entire M2 box with the discs and the manuals and everything M1 as well. And, even if I could find it, I'm not sure I'd have the smarts to figure it out how to dig it out.

Anyway, if one of you could help me out, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

#2 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 October 2016 - 09:32 PM

I might have it. I know I did at one point; I'll look around. For reference, that line is from the BoBs in Marathon 1, not Marathon 2.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#3 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:37 AM

Originally one used ResEdit to export sound resources from the game.  Don't know what you'd use these days if you don't have a legacy OS.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#4 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:51 AM

It also showed up in other Bungie games like Myth and Halo, but I suppose they were simply quoting it, not reusing the original sound sample a la Wilhelm scream.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#5 Tibur

Tibur

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 09:33 AM

I have nothing constructive to add, but I was amused by the (presumably unintentional) irony of the title of this thread.

#6 BifBologna

BifBologna

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 10:34 AM

View PostFrost, on 06 October 2016 - 09:32 PM, said:

I might have it. I know I did at one point; I'll look around. For reference, that line is from the BoBs in Marathon 1, not Marathon 2.

Thanks for taking the time to look. And, thanks for the clarification. I'm a touch disappointed in my self for misremembering that.

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 07 October 2016 - 08:37 AM, said:

Originally one used ResEdit to export sound resources from the game.  Don't know what you'd use these days if you don't have a legacy OS.

There appear to be a few open source tools out there that one could use, associated with Aleph One. I couldn't really make heads nor tails of them though. I was hoping maybe somebody here already had some experience with them.

View PostMatt Diamond, on 07 October 2016 - 08:51 AM, said:

It also showed up in other Bungie games like Myth and Halo, but I suppose they were simply quoting it, not reusing the original sound sample a la Wilhelm scream.

I've been able to pull some sounds from Myth II and I may use the "Rurik" version. It'd be nice to have the original BoB one as well though. I recall it having a bit more twang of panic to it.

#7 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:12 PM

View PostBifBologna, on 07 October 2016 - 10:34 AM, said:

There appear to be a few open source tools out there that one could use, associated with Aleph One. I couldn't really make heads nor tails of them though. I was hoping maybe somebody here already had some experience with them.

That's the first mention I've heard of Aleph One tools.  The sound file you are looking for is a .snd resource, and I guess you'd want to convert it to an MP3 or whatever, but it's a .snd resource you are looking for.  Hopefully that will help you make a little more sense of what you are looking at in the tool you are using.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#8 BifBologna

BifBologna

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 01:43 AM

I spent several hours last weekend, to no avail, trying to pry the sounds from the Marathon/Aleph One files.The programs I found that seemed like they should help were ShapeFusion and Weland. Weland is a map editor. I had difficulty even getting it to launch at first. Once I got it working, I couldn't find any way to work with sounds except to add them to objects on a map.

ShapeFusion, which seemed more promising, says it can import and export sounds. Unfortunately, the only file I could get it to open, was a third party physics file. There was no way I could see to export sounds from that though. I tried opening everything in the Marathon folder including the obvious "sounds.sndz" but Shape Fusion just kept telling me "format for the file was unknown."

I'm pretty sure there's a way to extract the sound without having to resort to setting up a Mac to run OS 9 and downloading Anvil and Forge. It's probably stupid easy too. I'm just too inexperienced with these types of tools to make them work for me. I may hit up the Aleph One forums this weekend and see if I can get a response there.

#9 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 09:34 AM

I would highly recommend you check out the Aleph One forums, if anybody could answer your question it's those guys.  Loren Petrich was one of the movers and shakers of Aleph One, if you see his name on the forums then hit him up for the answer.  He would know.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#10 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 07:21 PM

Battle Cat's suggestion of trying the Aleph One forums is good, but if that fails there is an alternative approach you could settle for.
Rather than extracting the sound directly, might be easier to capture the sound while you are playing the game, using a screen capture utility or something like LoopBack or SoundFlower. Or find a video of someone playing the game on YouTube and grab the sound from that.

Obviously not as high quality, but it might be ok.

#11 BifBologna

BifBologna

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 02:54 PM

I decided to make use of the "They're everywhere!" from Myth II instead. I was extracting some other sounds I wanted from Myth II this weekend and pulled a bunch of Rurik's sounds while I was at it. It actually works pretty well for what I'm doing and, since I opted to use a couple of Rurik's other lines, it's consistent.

Thanks for all the responses.

#12 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 07:06 PM

View PostBifBologna, on 16 October 2016 - 02:54 PM, said:

It actually works pretty well for what I'm doing

What ARE you doing, may we ask?

#13 BifBologna

BifBologna

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 08:14 PM

I have a group of friends that I've been gaming with for years now. We all originally met, online, playing Myth. I now admin an Insurgency server for this group of friends and, over the last few months, I've been adding Myth and Myth II art and sounds to the server, overriding some of the stock assets. In the particular case of "They're everywhere!", I've added it to the radial menu command for "Need backup" along with "Gaa... It's the enemy!" and "Don't let them get me!".