#1 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 September 2016 - 09:12 AM

So, if you buy a game from any of the many discount stores out there (humble, gog, mgs, wgs, etc)... and you claim the key on steam. You are now "not allowed to review" ... because to them, and their new review filtering system, you didnt purchase it on steam.

On top of that, if you go to game pages, the list of reviews continuously defaults to hiding key-claim reviews that were legacy added prior to the new block.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#2 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17429 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 09:53 AM

I don't get it, do they think they are going to suddenly convince users to buy only from Steam?  Other than user anger what else have they gained with their marketing strategy?  And why reviews?  Since when has being able to write a game review so make or break for gamers?  I've never written one, don't think I ever will.  If I want an opinion, I'll ask friends... is that so uncommon?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#3 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:05 AM

Apparently a tiny fraction of scrupulous developers were giving out keys for positive reviews. So now steam decides to punish every legit buyer of a gamer (bought elsewhere) by hiding their reviews and blocking them from making new reviews.

Kind of a stupid way to go about it, and yeah, so far lots of upset customers about it.

Honestly, this kind of dick move, has enforced my decision to now strictly, and always, look for and buy games from other stores to claim on steam. So A) Steam never gets another dime from me, and B) Steam has to fork the bill for supporting the products and downloads and traffic.

I say frak steam.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#4 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6094 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:21 AM

WTF. Wow, so I guess this affects people who bought physical copies that came with Steam codes as well (I've got several of those).
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#5 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 11:37 AM

View PostFrost, on 14 September 2016 - 10:21 AM, said:

WTF. Wow, so I guess this affects people who bought physical copies that came with Steam codes as well (I've got several of those).

Yup, basically any time you did a "Enter steam code" ... those games in your library are considered "not purchased".

-Fm [1oM7]

#6 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1371 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 14 September 2016 - 12:57 PM

Just a clarification: you can still write reviews, but they will be hidden with the default filter. Perhaps a better option would be to flag reviews as "keys." Valve could even flag kickstarter backers, as many CD keys delivered that way are special Kickstarter editions.

This is one of those problems with no obvious, good solution. I do agree that Valve went for the "nuke it" option, though. I fear it will harm niche games with large Kickstarter audiences the most, and that's where the interesting stuff is being done in gaming these days, IMO.

I rarely buy games directly from Steam anymore because they almost never have the best deal. I wonder if this will cause an overall decline in Steam reviews.

#7 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 01:47 PM

Well, I guess they broke something, because I actually can NOT write a review for anything. I apparently dont own anything in my vast library lol.

Heh... so a 'free weekend' play of RAGE... I had done a review for, it shows up in the 'purchased' list of reviews and is counted in their score (yet I never own'd it or have it in my library, it was a free play weekend). So, yeah, all the free games where literally a few million users could suddenly write crap reviews (or reviews from the developers), are considered more legit than actually purchases from other stores.

Haha. Wow... yeah. hmm.

-Fm [1oM7]

#8 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3812 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 14 September 2016 - 11:56 PM

Well, free games comes out quite some time after the release, so by then the game will have tons of real reviews. This is merely meant to provide an overweight of favorable reviews up to or just after a games release, to spur sales at full price.

Personally, I don't give a cats breath about Steam. Their interface is awful, and I have no plan to learn how to navigate that maze, expect from installing and clicking play on the games I got through MGS.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#9 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:31 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 14 September 2016 - 11:56 PM, said:

Personally, I don't give a cats breath about Steam. Their interface is awful, and I have no plan to learn how to navigate that maze, expect from installing and clicking play on the games I got through MGS.

Exactly.

I "like" steam on the PC as it was a welcome entity to get games installed and running with relative ease compared to the old days of hell and terrible cdrom drm's and the like.

But man, steam as a feature-rich 'usable' app for enjoyment itself??? They need to fire most their team and start over.

-Fm [1oM7]

#10 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1371 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:49 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 15 September 2016 - 07:31 AM, said:

But man, steam as a feature-rich 'usable' app for enjoyment itself??? They need to fire most their team and start over.

Do they even have a team? I long ago figured they'd all moved on to VR work and let the intern run the app. Oh, and as a bonus, he also works on the mobile app.

Currently taking bets on how long those Snow Leopard style stoplight icons will remain in Steam. I'm guessing another five years.

#11 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:54 AM

View PostCougar, on 15 September 2016 - 07:49 AM, said:

Do they even have a team? I long ago figured they'd all moved on to VR work and let the intern run the app. Oh, and as a bonus, he also works on the mobile app.

Currently taking bets on how long those Snow Leopard style stoplight icons will remain in Steam. I'm guessing another five years.

ROFL! Oh man... its so funny, because they made it eternally crash on snow leopard. With all their funds and 'team', they couldn't have made a simple EOL steam app for 10.6.8. Heck, even MGS made EOL apps for 10.4, 10.5, and now 10.6 too! And that app is all written by ONE GUY.

Maybe thats steam's problem. They have too many people? So nothing gets done? Too much red tape in the way of progress?

God I dunno. Sometimes, just a single intern is a good thing. Heck, look at me and MGS/WGS lol, I'm the only one who writes all the web crap for the stores.

-Fm [1oM7]

#12 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 15 September 2016 - 09:40 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 15 September 2016 - 08:54 AM, said:

Maybe thats steam's problem. They have too many people? So nothing gets done? Too much red tape in the way of progress?

Don't they have the opposite of red tape. People just do what they want. Maybe nobody has taken an interest in doing an overhaul.

http://www.bloomberg...bosses-at-valve
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#13 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 09:43 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 15 September 2016 - 09:40 AM, said:

Don't they have the opposite of red tape. People just do what they want. Maybe nobody has taken an interest in doing an overhaul.

http://www.bloomberg...bosses-at-valve

Then maybe their web guy needs to be replaced ... by me! :D

-Fm [1oM7]

#14 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17429 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 01:53 PM

Not a problem Fm, according to the article Macdude posted you could price yourself at the very top of the pay scale for web guys and they'll hire you.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#15 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 06:50 PM

Somehow working for the devil would make me feel slightly awkward.

-Fm [1oM7]

#16 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:17 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 15 September 2016 - 06:50 PM, said:

Naw its fine, you get used to it. Plus we have free flu shots down here.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#17 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3812 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 16 September 2016 - 01:21 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 15 September 2016 - 09:43 AM, said:

Then maybe their web guy needs to be replaced ... by me! :D
Would you actually like to work at Valve?

I mean, apart from them playing free games all day round, since their Mac client is stuck in the 2000s...
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#18 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17429 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 09:04 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 15 September 2016 - 06:50 PM, said:

Even if it's the Robot Devil?  There'll be music and dancing!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#19 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1575 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 19 September 2016 - 03:59 AM

Steaming pile...

Steam has been a mess for a long time. I have it open to my library so I can just skip the store altogether and the constant parade of crap I have zero interest in, the latest offenders being movies. I will never purchase a movie from Steam, not ever, never.

Origin redid their client. It was plain jane before but it worked well. Naturally, since it wasn't broke EA felt compelled to fix it. Now it sucks although one can pretty much ignore most suckage by defaulting to their own game library list. The same holds true of the GOG client in its eternal state of beta. In some ways, the delivery and maintenance of PC games has come a long way. In other ways, it is harmed by ridiculous marketing, popsnizzlety clients, drm on drm, back to back clients as such, slicing and dicing of games into stupid amounts of DLC, pre-order crap trying to bait people into buying sight unseen basically for some virtual gun or whatever, a trend toward trying to sell movies now (Steam & GOG anyway), an incredible amount of shareware indie crap masquerading as retro because pixel graphics is all some guy in mom's basement with RPG Maker can manage and more I am not thinking of presently.

I am still going back and forth myself about a console and how much I'd use it, tradeoffs vs PC in terms of power and all because I am not really that fussy myself. I really only need a PC good enough to run MMOs, none of which are all that demanding compared to most new AAA and so owning both is doable and keeps my options open for the occasional Pillars of Eternity or whatever if I even have the time for it.

Anyway, I've come to feel they all suck really but also that they are better than how it used to be so I guess there is that. Taking the option to open to your own games library helps a lot. Eschewing their other features largely, including their reviews systems, forums, contests, ranks (you basically buy on Steam for what exactly?), etc. also helps cut down on the suck. It's here to stay now but at least for now they do let you tune most of it out if you choose to.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell