Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 19 September 2016 - 02:08 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 19 September 2016 - 04:37 AM, said:

When are all three new console versions expected out?
  • PS4 Pro: November 2016
  • Xbox Scorpio: fall 2017
  • Nintendo NX: fall 2017 spring 2017
Keep in mind that you are losing access to almost the entire MMO genre and the Strategy genre if you do a full switch to console. I would recommend a Gaming PC + PS4 as my preferred setup (since all future Xbox exclusives will be on PC as well).
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#42 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 19 September 2016 - 02:43 PM

Thank you sir.

Well, I guess I better write a letter to Santa with my request for a PS4 Pro this Christmas and I'm sure he'll come through for me because I have been a very good boy this year despite what certain Borderlands 2 players may have to say about me. I'll hit him up for the other two next year and by then I should have spent some quality time playing BL2 with the aforementioned folks so asking for two systems after being that good shouldn't be a problem hopefully.

I think those other guys need PS4 Pros so we can play BL2 on PS4 because that would be good for me. I'm sure they won't mind because quality time with me is well, priceless really.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#43 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2040 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 19 September 2016 - 02:45 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 19 September 2016 - 02:08 PM, said:

• Nintendo NX: fall 2017
Keep in mind that you are losing access to almost the entire MMO genre and the Strategy genre if you do a full switch to console. I would recommend a Gaming PC + PS4 as my preferred setup (since all future Xbox exclusives will be on PC as well).

PC nope
PS4 nope

Pls try again.

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 19 September 2016 - 02:43 PM, said:

Thank you sir.

Well, I guess I better write a letter to Santa with my request for a PS4 Pro this Christmas and I'm sure he'll come through for me because I have been a very good boy this year despite what certain Borderlands 2 players may have to say about me. I'll hit him up for the other two next year and by then I should have spent some quality time playing BL2 with the aforementioned folks so asking for two systems after being that good shouldn't be a problem hopefully.

I think those other guys need PS4 Pros so we can play BL2 on PS4 because that would be good for me. I'm sure they won't mind because quality time with me is well, priceless really.

I'll buy a Piece of popsnizzle 4 when they have a UI not designed by fisher price and a controller not designed by satan.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#44 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6089 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 19 September 2016 - 02:58 PM

This'd be my recommendation too. PC + PS4 gets you all PC games, all post-summer 2016 Microsoft exclusives, and all Sony exclusives.

Interestingly, it looks like Microsoft is adding cross-platform play between Windows 10 and Xbox One as well starting with Gears of War 4. You won't be able to queue into competitive multiplayer because they don't want mouse users ripping the stuffing out of controller users, but you're free to do private competitive games, as well as play all coop modes. Pretty sweet!

Also, don't forget if you want to play online with people and have both PS4 and Xbox, you're going to be flushing almost half the price of a console down the toilet annually to subscribe to both online services.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#45 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2040 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 03:11 PM

Mac + Xbox One + a couple bing searches = the sweet spot.

it's too bad the PS4 is unplayable, specwise it is ok but that UI and controller are unusable. Source: bought a PS4 at launch. Was unusable.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#46 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 10:17 PM

You are definitely in the minority there. Millions upon millions of people love the PS4 and its controller. The 360 controller was superior to the dual shock 3, but the dual shock 4 is a thing of art. Definitely better then the 360 controller and potentially on par with the Xbox one controller. The only real difference is the left thumb stick location. That doesn't make a controller popsnizzle.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro

#47 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:28 AM

Actually, I want it all. I want the ultimate man cave complete with a large television, HBO Now, Netflix, Xbox, PS4, Nintendo, iPad Pro and a decent gaming PC. I also need a nice sound system to go with all of this. I need a setup similar to the bridge of the U.S.S. Enterprise basically. A Holodeck would be nice too. Lastly I need time, lots and lots of time.

#48 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2040 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:47 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 19 September 2016 - 10:17 PM, said:

You are definitely in the minority there. Millions upon millions of people love the PS4 and its controller. The 360 controller was superior to the dual shock 3, but the dual shock 4 is a thing of art. Definitely better then the 360 controller and potentially on par with the Xbox one controller. The only real difference is the left thumb stick location. That doesn't make a controller popsnizzle.

Art. A Picasso maybe. Those thumb sticks are about as comfortable as one of his paintings.

#49 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2040 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:54 AM

What needs a comeback is the coleco controller. Designers, "you guys ever see those rectangle pizzas they have in middle school? Let's make a controller like that"

Attached Files

#50 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17421 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:15 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 20 September 2016 - 12:28 AM, said:

Actually, I want it all. I want the ultimate man cave complete with a large television, HBO Now, Netflix, Xbox, PS4, Nintendo, iPad Pro and a decent gaming PC. I also need a nice sound system to go with all of this. I need a setup similar to the bridge of the U.S.S. Enterprise basically. A Holodeck would be nice too. Lastly I need time, lots and lots of time.

The problem is that by the time you accumulate all of that you drop dead of natural causes.  Best be prepared to take it with you.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#51 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6089 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:03 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 20 September 2016 - 04:47 AM, said:

Art. A Picasso maybe. Those thumb sticks are about as comfortable as one of his paintings.

I would say that about the Xbone sticks... the dimples are even deeper than the 360's. If you have large thumbs (I do) you flat out cannot get good surface contact and have to play with the edges of the stick. It's like the DualShock 3 where the only contact area is the middle and you slip off during a full deflection unless you press down hard, except on the edges instead of the center. If you have hands like this that actually fit in that damn tiny dimple I'm sure you're golden. If you have hands like this you're reduced to using like 20% of the surface area.

The concave stick with the convex rise in the middle is the best damn design since the invention of the analog stick; complete contact area for my whole thumb surface. Last gen on both consoles I had perfected a maneuver where I held the left stick with my right thumb during a full deflection so I could reposition my left back to the middle of the stick as it was slipping. DS4 sticks I finally don't do that BS anymore.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#52 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2040 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:32 PM

I don't like the grips on any of the current or last gen controllers. I slapped KontrolFreek Alphas on everything current. and CQC's on 360/PS3 controllers.

#53 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Steam Name:Ian
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 21 September 2016 - 11:58 AM

I use the One controller with computer games. I love it, a lot better than the 360 controller in my opinion. I'm no connoisseur but its definitely nice.
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

Poseidon - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS High Seirra 10.13.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

#54 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 06:19 PM

I've never been a fan of any of the iterations of PS controllers, but everyone has their preferences obviously. The PS4 is a great console but I gotta agree with Macdude, the controller is blargh. For me at least. Take that with a grain of salt because I'm not necessarily sane or reasonable. I'm running one of those spendy XB1 Elite controllers, which is my favorite pad ever.

#55 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld

Posted 24 September 2016 - 02:41 PM

Nintendo NX is March 2017, not in autumn. If one has a decent gaming rig a PS4 or Xbox One don't offer a lot. The latter has not got any exclusives at all. Why MS is still investing in new Xbox hardware is beyond me. They could just release an Xbox Online subscription like EA Access, the Xbox controller for Windows and be done with it.
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#56 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 12:15 PM

View PostJan, on 24 September 2016 - 02:41 PM, said:

Nintendo NX is March 2017, not in autumn. If one has a decent gaming rig a PS4 or Xbox One don't offer a lot. The latter has not got any exclusives at all. Why MS is still investing in new Xbox hardware is beyond me. They could just release an Xbox Online subscription like EA Access, the Xbox controller for Windows and be done with it.

Hardware on its own doesn't really mean anything to either Sony or MS. They are both selling the hardware for as cheap as they can. They care about selling you controllers, PS+/Live subscription, and games.

The hardware gives them a platform where they can take profit on every single thing sold. Estimated profits they make off you buying something:
  • Console: $50
  • Controller: $25
  • Games: $5+ (first/second party games would net them a lot higher profit)
  • Online subscription: $50
If you buy a couple games each year, a controller, a pay for online they make way more money than if you just bought a console with 1 game and nothing else.

#57 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3803 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 25 September 2016 - 01:02 PM

Nintendo NX is being launched March 2017. Nintendo has been very clear on that. It is expected to be unveiled within the next 4 weeks

Edit: Whops, ninjaed above.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#58 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 08:43 AM

Hmm, well as fate would have it my birthday is in March this year just like every year. You know, a shiny new Nintendo sure would make a fine present. Think how good you guys would feel about it, all chipping in to make me so happy on my birthday. I get all warm and fuzzy just thinking about it, don't you?

#59 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6089 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 01:35 PM

Can't say how much of a fan I am of Microsoft's new direction in transitioning Xbox into a games delivery and support service with an official hardware offering rather than just a console. Been playing Gears of War 4 all weekend with coop matchmaking from the PC version with people playing the Xbox version, totally seamlessly. I have to say the fact that they're making first party games crossplay and crossbuy from now on removes any reason I'd ever have to buy an Xbox, but at the same time, it's really great because that means I can play on my platform of choice with my input method of choice and yet still play with friends who are only on a game console. Played some Horde with a guy and gal on the Xbox who I used to play Gears online with way back in the day on the 360 and the three of us had a blast. Me on a PC, them on Xbox Ones.

Only thing I can't do is play in competitive matchmaking (although competitive private games work) since MS doesn't want mouse users demolishing controller users, but I can live with that. Horde and Coop Campaign have PC to Xbox One matchmaking. Only way you know if someone's on a PC instead of an Xbox One is their little character icon in the loading screen shows a little circular computer monitor badge on it if they're PC players.

Hope Sony follows suit in future; then I can divest myself of consoles and low framerate altogether without losing the ability to play with console-owning friends. :P

Eric5h5:

#60 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:15 PM

Did anyone end up buying the PS4 Pro? Interested to hear about thoughts/impressions. Especially now that 'Boost Mode' is a thing.