DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 18 August 2016 - 05:08 AM

I got the Apple cover for my 9.7 iPad Pro and I like it overall. It does fold in such a way as to lay at an angle I like for looking stuff on the web while messing with the computer for one thing and is easy to type on at that angle as needed. However, I could really use something good to stand it up on my night table when I want to watch video at night while my parrots sleep or for playing games with a controller I plan to buy for it.

So any suggestions ideally with links to purchase them would be appreciated. Thanks!
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#2 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6095 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 18 August 2016 - 06:54 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 18 August 2016 - 05:08 AM, said:

while my parrots sleep

Parrots!

What kind do you have?
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#3 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17435 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:54 AM

The savory kind of parrot I hope cause I haven't heard the words "OH GOD PLEASE DON'T EAT ME!!" since that wonderful winter in a Sierra Nevada mountain pass back in 1847.

My wife bought a nice iPad Pro stand/cover/external keyboard that I like.  Sure beats the pants off of that awful on screen keyboard.  I'll ask her what she bought when she gets home tonight.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#4 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:56 AM

My logitech iPad keyboard doubles as a decent stand, but I also have this Belkin kitchen stand and face stabber.

https://www.amazon.c...s/dp/B005NHTG6O

I would not pay 40 bucks for it but I got it a few years ago during black friday half off sale at belkin.com
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#5 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3303 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 18 August 2016 - 09:01 AM

What logitech keyboard do you use?
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#6 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 09:06 AM

Logitech ultrathin for Air 2. My wife uses the Zagg Rugged Book but I didn't need something quite so "industrial" to do light typing on the go.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#7 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 11:21 AM

View PostFrost, on 18 August 2016 - 06:54 AM, said:

Parrots!

What kind do you have?

Two African Grey parrots employ me and also allow me to live in the servants quarters where i am typing this now. Additionally, the lady of the house, Snowy Bird is an Albino Cockatiel who is such a sweetie. She's nearing 20 years old. Good care and love goes a long way. The Greys, Billy and Scooter otherwise known as the fresh boys are both over ten years old now. Last May, I came upon a helpless little ball of fluff stumbling around in a bank parking lot with no sign of any other birds about, few trees and no sign of a nest where those were. I knew he (or she) was going to wind up crushed or dying of thirst in pretty short order if I didn't intervene so, I carefully placed the ball of fluff out on the grass far enough away from the parking area to think I'd have time to make my deposit and fetch them when I came back out.

When I got back outside a few minutes later, guess who was stumbling around in the middle of the small parking area again? It is a good thing it was morning and not busy yet. I was amazed they got that far that fast. It was a very good sign I found them in good shape. I tried again to see if there was a nest or mom somewhere but I realized even if there was his chances of survival were slim to none in that place and with his penchant for playing in traffic.

So, I gathered up my little ball of fluff and set him in the front seat of my car with me and off we went to a local vet on the way home who suggested I try prescription cat food with high animal protein content. So I got some of that and a dropper to feed him with and we headed home. Then I hit the web, identified him as a baby starling, decided that since I could not know one way or another that my little adventurer who liked the parking lot was male. Then I named him after a friend i grew up with, Skip. I call him Skippy, Skip or Skipper all the time the same as I did the original Skip.

Luckily for Skippy and myself, I found a website started by a former park ranger I think it was who did bird rescues and created it where nobody seemed to know about caring for these wild birds if they needed it. It's a very good thing because they cannot process plant proteins like the parrots can. They need animal protein which they normally get primarily from various worms and bugs in the wild and occasionally some fresh, delicious roadkill.

Anyway, I learned all I could and wound up having to hand feed him every couple hours from sunup to sundown for about 6 weeks I think it was. I was then able to gradually wean him off that and get him eating independently out of a bowl. I got him his own cage because he imprinted on me immediately as often happens, not to be confused with becoming tame which he also did pretty much. Very quickly, I was his mom as far as he was concerned despite my funny appearance. I was one of him and he was one of me and that was that in his mind. You can't release a bird like that to the wild. They won't make it. It turns out starlings in captivity who are taken care of have an average lifespan of 15 years. Fortunately, this does not bother me at all. I'm very fond of the little guy. I kept him quarantined in my bedroom for 3 months for safety before I brought him out to join the rest of the crew where he's been very happy since.

Every morning, I fix up a special dish for him of ground up IAMS high protein cat food (primarily chicken) that also has poultry layer crumbles mixed in. I periodically make a batch up and store it in a pyrex dish with a nice tight cover. I have to buy layer crumbles in 10 pound bags for this little bird because they don't come any smaller where normally somebody would be feeding a bunch of chickens the stuff. Good thing it is inexpensive so not a big deal and it keeps for six months if tightly stored which I do in its own special container in the kitchen closet. I had to buy a blender just to make this stuff for him. I never need a blender for me. I get very nice high quality dried mealworms from the good folks at Drs Foster and Smith each month which I hide under his food so he can have some all natural foraging fun. i also garnish the top with them. They are loaded with protein and good for him. He loves them too. Naturally, I had to give careful thought to what would be good toys for a little guy with a pointy beak like him but I scored those too and he likes them, one in particular a lot. So that is good.

Edit: I forgot to mention that each morning I take a heaping tablespoon of Skippy's special mix and add three level tablespoons of water and stir it up then let it soak while I clean his dishes, get his water,  and lay down the soon to be hidden mealworms at the bottom of the food dish. By then, the stuff has taken up the water and has a perfect moist but not wet consistency. I stir it up and then whack at it to come up with a crumbly texture sort of like topping on a cinnamon breakfast cake, carefully spoon it over the mealworms, use the tip of the spoon to make it even and hide them all and finally garnish with more wonderful mealworm goodness. By the way, I came up with this little gourmet meal on my own aside of learning what base ingredients he needed for good nutrition. I don't do it all like on the Starling site though. Those womenfolk think they know but they don't know gourmet bird cooking like this old man does.

So little Skipper is over a year old now, healthy as can be and full of the fun.

Don't you love it when you ask a simple little question and I reply with a book to answer it? Ha ha! Story time!

My folks all call me The BIrdman of Tarboro now. In fact, a few friends locally do too. I think they were all quite surprised that I could rescue a baby wild bird and they'd live. Well, as I said above good care and a lot of love go a long way. I do love birds and I am happy to have Skippy with us. So are the other birds. Incredibly, he has even learned from Billy to call out in his way, "Can I have kiss?" I am not making that up. I could not believe it the first time I heard him do that but Billy does it all the time and he tries to imitate him I notice sometimes. He got that one. He has not learned anymore but it is quite impressive that a little starling got that I think. He loves music like the others too. They are big Beatles, R.E.M. and B-52's fans like myself. They go nuts when I play the music and they go even more nuts if I turn it up. I really love the bunch of them. They make the best company.

Scooter is an impressive talker and very often says things in context such as hello when the phone rings, bye-bye when he hears the jingle of my keys or sees me putting my shoes on and my favorite one which is, "It's time for a coffee time! Yay!" which he often announces in the morning when I get out of bed and head for the kitchen. He has such a large vocabulary but he tends to be shy and talks to me more when I am outside his room than in it although he will sometimes.

So that's a bunch of stuff about me and my feathered friends I serve daily.

#8 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 11:30 AM

Thanks for the feedback so far about the topic at hand.

I'll have to poke around some on Amazon I guess and see what is reasonably priced. I had thought I'd want a keyboard for sure at first but I don't really type enough on the thing to care a lot about that so far anyway.

I do want to get something good enough that I don't have to worry about it tipping over so that's bound to cost me something. The Apple cover was expensive but it is really nice and I'm glad I sprung for that. I don't know why they don't offer a good stand themselves. I don't think I saw one on the Apple store.

#9 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 12:49 PM

Them birds eat better than I do.

#10 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 12:51 PM

This looks pretty good and is reasonable. I think I'll give this one a shot:

https://www.amazon.c...o tablet holder

View Postmacdude22, on 18 August 2016 - 12:49 PM, said:

Them birds eat better than I do.

That makes two of us. I didn't even get into the fancy feast the others start their day with every day.

#11 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 12:56 PM

popsnizzle, my cats get fancy feast. They eat better than me too. I'm starting to think I'm getting fleeced.

#12 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 01:06 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 18 August 2016 - 12:56 PM, said:

popsnizzle, my cats get fancy feast. They eat better than me too. I'm starting to think I'm getting fleeced.

Yep, them critters they own us. I sit out back by myself thankful I get bread and water.

#13 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17435 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 01:46 PM

A friends dog, a black lab, walked up to me one day and dropped a baby bird at my feet.  Not hurt, only wet from dog spit, I took it home and raised it because I figured he fell out of his nest and would die from starvation or thirst.  It was a baby robin and I knew their diet was worms and insects, but especially worms so I bought him fishing worms and showed him how to dig in the compost pile for bugs.  He was doing great until one day he wasn't.  I put him into a box with a window screen over the top so I could go to work, like I had for weeks, only this time I came home and he was dead as a door nail.  I think his neck was broken.  Anyway, several weeks after I brought him home I learned that the adults kick the baby out of the nest when they were still way immature and helpless.  The male takes care of the baby on the ground while the female cranks out a couple more eggs to hatch in the nest.  It's a survival strategy and I interrupted it big time, the little guy would have been just fine on the ground but in a fit of mercy I doomed him to a short life.  

Like your experience, we bonded and he was a great and responsive little friend who loved to hang out with me.  By the time I learned how robins survive, it was too late to let him go.  Dad was gone, and he wasn't able to take care of himself.  I decided to name him after one of the two things he was especially noted for, I chose the name "Eat" because it was more socially polite than calling him "popsnizzle".
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#14 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:08 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 18 August 2016 - 01:46 PM, said:

A friends dog, a black lab, walked up to me one day and dropped a baby bird at my feet.  Not hurt, only wet from dog spit, I took it home and raised it because I figured he fell out of his nest and would die from starvation or thirst.  It was a baby robin and I knew their diet was worms and insects, but especially worms so I bought him fishing worms and showed him how to dig in the compost pile for bugs.  He was doing great until one day he wasn't.  I put him into a box with a window screen over the top so I could go to work, like I had for weeks, only this time I came home and he was dead as a door nail.  I think his neck was broken.  Anyway, several weeks after I brought him home I learned that the adults kick the baby out of the nest when they were still way immature and helpless.  The male takes care of the baby on the ground while the female cranks out a couple more eggs to hatch in the nest.  It's a survival strategy and I interrupted it big time, the little guy would have been just fine on the ground but in a fit of mercy I doomed him to a short life.  

Like your experience, we bonded and he was a great and responsive little friend who loved to hang out with me.  By the time I learned how robins survive, it was too late to let him go.  Dad was gone, and he wasn't able to take care of himself.  I decided to name him after one of the two things he was especially noted for, I chose the name "Eat" because it was more socially polite than calling him "popsnizzle".

Aww, poor little thing. Well, he had it good while he was with you and you really can't know what the situation truly was as to whether dad was even present or not or mom for that matter. Stuff happens to them too. That is interesting about how those birds do things though. i didn't know that. In Skippy's case, he was doomed if I didn't save him so I'm glad we found each other when we did.

By the way, I learned also that despite someone at the vet encouraging me to buy fishing worms for him which they do eat in the wild, a lot of them also die because of that. Those worms carry some disease the birds get that infects their throats. It is some kind of parasite I forget the name of now. That's why I get him mealworms because they do not carry that disease at all. Even if they did, it probably wouldn't survive in any dried worms but in any event, I found that mealworms are what is typically sold to people wanting to attract wild birds to their feeders and for some of them who don't benefit from seeds like starlings, mealworms are perfect.

It was good of you to be so kind and try to help the little one out. Maybe you should think about rescuing a companion bird of some kind if you liked having one around. They make such wonderful company and there's always ones out there that people got who did not understand what they were getting into or for other reasons need to find homes for them.

I've always wanted to bring home an Umbrella Cockatoo and a Macaw as well. If I do that in the future, I'll go out of my way to rescue two needing good homes.