Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 August 2016 - 06:56 PM

Breaking news!

No Man's Sky is slated for a Mac release Soon™, hot on the tails of the poorly ported release for Windows version that came out today.

"Why are you going to do it?" our editor asked lead developer of Hello Games...
"Because we want too, and thats no lie!"

So, keep your eyes on this hot game title coming soon to macOS!

---
I know its not April 1st, but, I missed April 1st.

Too soon?

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#2 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2041 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:18 PM

I will hunt you down and I will kill you for this clickbait.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#3 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3806 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 12 August 2016 - 11:55 PM

This looks like the shallowest AAA game in a long time. I don't get the hype. Peter Molyneux must be jaloux that he didn't make that game.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#4 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8087 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 13 August 2016 - 12:13 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 12 August 2016 - 11:55 PM, said:

This looks like the shallowest AAA game in a long time.
I think one of its problems is that it got triple-A hype, while essentially being an indie game from a small team with a small budget. The expectations were far too high.

Anyway, before anyone takes the idea of a Mac port seriously: NMS requires OpenGL 4.5. So that will never happen.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#5 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3806 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 13 August 2016 - 04:40 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 13 August 2016 - 12:13 AM, said:

I think one of its problems is that it got triple-A hype, while essentially being an indie game from a small team with a small budget. The expectations were far too high.
You are likely right. They did do something amazing though, given the size of their team. But wether they ran with the hype, wisely, or just didn't realize what they were communicating to the crowds, is a big question.

But given their size, I guess they don't care much about the amount of bugs in the initial release. $$$$$ indie heaven! 8)

Anyway, before anyone takes the idea of a Mac port seriously: NMS requires OpenGL 4.5. So that will never happen.
Is it possible with Metal if they actually found someone to do it for them?

...("No Feral, stay away from this one... Skyrim, The Witcher 3 or Mass Effect for Mac, or Civilization 4 for iPad, go do that instead!")
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#6 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8087 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 06:14 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 13 August 2016 - 04:40 AM, said:

You are likely right. They did do something amazing though, given the size of their team. But wether they ran with the hype, wisely, or just didn't realize what they were communicating to the crowds, is a big question.
They certainly did quite a few mistakes. Keeping it so vague for so long what the gameplay actually is like wasn't smart, since it made the fans imagine the wildest things and thus lead to unreasonable expectations.

Is it possible with Metal if they actually found someone to do it for them?
No idea, but I doubt it.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#7 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 07:31 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 13 August 2016 - 06:14 AM, said:

They certainly did quite a few mistakes. Keeping it so vague for so long what the gameplay actually is like wasn't smart, since it made the fans imagine the wildest things and thus lead to unreasonable expectations.

This I think the most for a lot of the PC kids who are raging angry right now.

I got the game, its fun. It certainly is no ED SC X# EGS SE killer... thats for sure. But its fun as it is. Worth the $60? No. Not at all, unless they do plan on taking all the money they got and continue developing it and enhancing it (like the guys do with ED). But if it was a "smash n grab" AAA title (you know em, ubisoft, biowhore, ea are notorious for it) where they launch n forget... then yes, this game will go down in the annuals as one of the biggest'd hyped over priced let downs of the century.

It has pretty steep needs too, so a Mac version would be tough to pull off. It would only appeal to the people who either run hackintoshs, or have over-spec'd their tower macs to cope. Which takes a small crowd, and makes it even smaller.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#8 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8087 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 01:53 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 13 August 2016 - 07:31 AM, said:

I got the game, its fun. It certainly is no ED SC X# EGS SE killer... thats for sure. But its fun as it is. Worth the $60? No. ...
That's pretty much the impression I got from it (admittedly second and third hand): it's okay-ish. Definitely not the Holy Grail of Games some people expected, but - if you like that kind of game - certainly entertaining, at least for a while, although not really worth $60.

#9 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 11:05 PM

It really should be a $20 price tag, with expansions later for more stuff at $10 a pop. That way it would pressure the devs to actually continue positive work on the product. As it is now, they basically can just abandon it and still make out as millionaires and move onto the next game.

-Fm [1oM7]

#10 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 260 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:40 AM

Despite the lukewarm and iffy reviews, I'd still like to play this on a Mac.

Just perhaps not my Mac.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#11 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6089 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:07 PM

I heard a criticism from an E:D player that probably encapsulates the whole issue. Mainly, E:D has an issue of being ocean wide but puddle deep, and NMS manages to make the ocean both wider and even shallower.

Sounds like it could be fun to mess around with, but yeah, not what it got hyped into being.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#12 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:39 PM

Its hard to take anything a pro-elite player has to say about nomansky... because of the incredible bias, and completely differing views of how 'space' is.

ED suffers from trying to be 'too real', and as such lacks any imagination or intrigue. It is a bore. But hey, I love its flight model, and how realistic the planets are... but can only take it in small quantities with time between.

NMS suffers from trying to be artsyfartsy, and of course sony ruined a lot of it in most of the other aspects. But hey as well, its fun, the planets and diversity, and creativity is really nice for a change from playing ED. But I'm sure it too can only be played in spurts.

Neither are the best game ever. And I don't think any will come along, which is the biggest issue, as every new 'big' game like these that come along, people get such high hopes it will be the almighty savior of their lives... and it never will be. We just don't have the technology yet to accomplish such realistic/futuristic/imaginative needs in real time for a game.

-Fm [1oM7]

#13 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 16 August 2016 - 08:46 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 16 August 2016 - 02:39 PM, said:

....as every new 'big' game like these that come along, people get such high hopes it will be the almighty savior of their lives... and it never will be.

I feel depressed now between this news and all that talk about ED. I am going to have nightmares tonight with Bob Dole in them talking about ED while he wanders the surface of some strange planet with cool looking creatures running away from him.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#14 ehuelga

ehuelga

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Steam Name:El Spud

Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:24 PM

An hilarious example of Marketing vs. reality.

https://www.youtube....h?v=RvAwB7ogkik
The commute from Mill Valley to Cupertino is a real bitch.

#15 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:18 AM

View Postehuelga, on 16 August 2016 - 09:24 PM, said:

An hilarious example of Marketing vs. reality.

https://www.youtube....h?v=RvAwB7ogkik

LOL!

Whats interesting is I did land on a planet that looked very much like the teaser, well not 'exact', but it was lush, high trees, water, and all that environmental buzz.

I've yet to find any really massive creatures, but I did come across a fairly large Chimera lookin thing with huge wings curled on its back.

-Fm [1oM7]

#16 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 17 August 2016 - 06:11 PM

My initial reaction to this game before release was, "really?" It didn't do a thing for me and I had no interest in it at all. That probably would still have been true though even if they got whatever it is they were going for right. I'm pretty boring I guess. If it isn't an MMO, RPG, Shooter or in some cases a strategy game I probably don't care. I don't need my horizons expanded when I cannot keep up with everything in those genres that I like a lot. This is also why I now almost universally blow off any and all indies. It is not because good, even great games don't arise from small developers. It's just about the time and interest factor for me.

On a bright note I tend to miss a lot of misses given my criteria which is just as well.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#17 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 24 August 2016 - 08:58 AM

It'll probably show up when Unreal Tournament 3 shows up. Hoping for a bundle deal.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB