Keeping track of your games, ratings, want-to-play's?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3820 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:27 AM

What do you guys do? I currently run a Numbers sheet with a list of all my games, my own ratings of them, where I bought them, and a list of what I really want to try some time after I retire.

Preferably, it would be something like Goodreads  or IMDB, but for games.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#2 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 03 August 2016 - 06:22 AM

http://www.backloggery.com/rakden

The backlog list is not very up today but the now playing is. :unsure: Might get through something faster if I didn't dabble so much. Only got 2 episodes left in Star Trek 25th Anniversary tho.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#3 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2478 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 09:11 AM

I don't have a good system.

In my main games folder I have a folder of installers, plus another folder called "Try" for games I haven't tried yet but don't have an installer (or I'll sometimes put a shortcut in there to a game which is installed somewhere else, such as the MacGameStore folder.) I have a folder called zzDone for games I don't want to uninstall for some reason but that I'm not planning to replay any time soon. Some games I finish but don't put in zzDone because I suspect I'll play it again eventually.

So far so bad. But that doesn't include my Steam library: games not yet installed, installed games (in progress, or I want to play soonish) and a zzDone tag to hide games I'm done with.

The punchline is that when I feel like starting a new game I usually end up poking through all my games anyway. Whether a game is already installed or not almost never influences my choice.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#4 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 09:15 AM

Avadon is a classic Vogel game with all the goodness you'd expect.  You have a choice as to how to end the game and a lot of hard decisions to make as you progress through the game.  Prepare to burn your candle at both ends when playing.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#5 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 263 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 09:37 AM

I don't have a system. As such, I forget what- and where things are, and what I have (scattered over MGS, Steam, GoG and stand-alone stuff). I don't keep boxes.

I think I have two copies of Torchlight/Torchlight II as a result, and multiple copies of the Eschalon games (never really got into those).

Anyway. Don't be like me.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#6 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 03 August 2016 - 10:25 AM

My system is: Litter the Windows Desktop with aliases to any game I have not completed or wish to continue playing after completion.

Then as the mood fits me, I click one to launch and play.

Mind you, I dont use my PC for ANYTHING else but gaming ;) So a littered desktop for a "launcher" is just fine.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#7 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:38 PM

I keep a text list of the games I'm interested in getting.  Anything else is listed in my Steam library.  And Fm, like you I don't plan to use my PC for anything else but gaming.  I have the Mac for everything else.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#8 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:58 PM

Yup, my Mac has so many files and apps I have open and working with constantly, that I actually never see my desktop (I forgot I have nice soothing nature photos back there!!!).

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#9 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 03 August 2016 - 04:21 PM

A Google Sheets spreadsheet with a Completed tab, followed by the percentage of obtained Steam achievements (where applicable since older and non Steam games don't have Steam achievements, obviously).
A second tab for Completed visual novels.
A third but not used anymore, with my To Play list.

In Steam (where at least 90% of my games are), I have a Finished category, a Useless one (mainly titles which have been replaced by others, like Dirt 3 vs Dirt 3 Complete Edition), a Visual Novel one, a Finished VNs one, a Children games one (Humongous mainly), and the rest is in the default Games category.

#10 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:13 PM

I created a database using Tap Forms on the Mac which also syncs to Tap Forms on my iPad via DropBox. It was a fun little project and it's nice to be able to organize what I think I will get to, etc. as well as rate stuff, retire games I am done with, etc. I have a set of saved searches you can see to the left which are very easy to modify on the fly as desired and it is very simple to create whatever search I might like to see some view of what I own filtered in some way. While this was a lot of effort initially for data entry and locating all the pics for each game, keeping it up is simple now and I can export to various common formats should I ever need or desire to take the data into some other app. This does not have a reporting module per se but it is easy enough to generate reports with searches, export the results into Excel or whatever and create anything I want, not that I bother but i could!

Posted Image
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#11 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6095 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 03 August 2016 - 08:59 PM

I add them to my favorites list on Steam. And then I continue playing the same 5 or 6 games anyway.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#12 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:14 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 03 August 2016 - 06:22 AM, said:

Nice site (backloggery.com) but it needs to add Steam APIs to be able to import one's library. No way I'm manually entering hundreds of games.

#13 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3820 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:39 AM

It is really nice to see how people have their own and different approach to this. I do think I will go with Backloggery though, it seems to suit my needs quite nicely. And I get to beat an evil overlord, so what is not to like?

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#14 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2478 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:49 AM

Reading through the replies reminded me that my boot partition has several AAA games that I completely forgot about.

Really, calling my attempts to organize all my games a "system" is too generous.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#15 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3820 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:07 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 04 August 2016 - 04:49 AM, said:

Really, calling my attempts to organize all my games a "system" is too generous.
Reading your first post, I also came to that conclusion.. :P
Posted Image

In fact, all IMG Writers in this thread keep their games in random places! And funny enough, the Admins seems to do something similar? So far only members have their stuff organized! How come you guys are even allowed to run a game site???
Posted Image

#16 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:35 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 04 August 2016 - 12:39 AM, said:

It is really nice to see how people have their own and different approach to this. I do think I will go with Backloggery though, it seems to suit my needs quite nicely. And I get to beat an evil overlord, so what is not to like?

Bak'laag is unbeatable.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#17 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:42 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 04 August 2016 - 05:07 AM, said:

And funny enough, the Admins seems to do something similar? So far only members have their stuff organized! How come you guys are even allowed to run a game site???

Because we got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#18 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3820 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 10:52 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 04 August 2016 - 06:35 AM, said:

Bak'laag is unbeatable.
For newbies prehaps...!

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 04 August 2016 - 08:42 AM, said:

Because we got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.
I am not sure you are allowed to have one of those....? What does your parents say?

#19 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 11:44 AM

I have organized chaos.

-Fm [1oM7]

#20 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 01:25 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 04 August 2016 - 10:52 AM, said:

I am not sure you are allowed to have one of those....? What does your parents say?

My parents ain't got one either.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat