• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 ToranRa

ToranRa

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Steam Name:gordonfreeman9104

Posted 31 July 2016 - 12:30 AM

If this needs to be moved, then please do so. But since the game I am looking for was on MacOS back in the day and was a shooter, I figured I would post it here. I don't remember thee name. I figured you Mac Gurus would know than me, a PC Plebeian (I kid, calm down). Anyway, on to my question. The game I remember was a game where you had a shotgun and were killing bad guys in brown and green robes with their faces hidden. I also remember the howl of a wolf. I have been suggested that it was HeXen, but this isn't true. It was on Mac, I believe. It may have also been on the Duke3D Engine or id's DOOM Engine.
OS - Windows 10 Pro / CPU - AMD FX-8320 Black Edition (3.5GHz) 8-Core / GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 950 SC+ with 2GB GDDR5 vRAM / RAM - Crucial 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 at 1600MHz  / HDD - Seagate 2TB Barricuda ST2000DM001 Hard Disc Drive / PSU / WideTech 550W 12V Power Supply

#2 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 31 July 2016 - 02:47 PM

There was a unique Bungie Marathon engine spinoff that pitted American armed forces against a clan-racist armed force.  They wore various robes with their faces covered.  It was a squad based game where you picked your team before each mission and deployed them in formation.  And with that, I forget the name of the game!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#3 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 31 July 2016 - 03:07 PM

https://en.wikipedia...s_into_Darkness

???
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#4 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8076 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 01 August 2016 - 12:49 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 31 July 2016 - 02:47 PM, said:

There was a unique Bungie Marathon engine spinoff that pitted American armed forces against a clan-racist armed force.  They wore various robes with their faces covered.  It was a squad based game where you picked your team before each mission and deployed them in formation.  And with that, I forget the name of the game!
Sounds like Damage Incorporated.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#5 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:26 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 01 August 2016 - 12:49 AM, said:

fighting various rogue militia and paramilitary organizations based in assorted locations around the United States.

The plots of a simpler time.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#6 ToranRa

ToranRa

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:04 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 31 July 2016 - 03:07 PM, said:

I looked at videos of the game and did not see anyone in robes. I also remember the setting more clearly now as being in a forest and it was very dark.
OS - Windows 10 Pro / CPU - AMD FX-8320 Black Edition (3.5GHz) 8-Core / GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 950 SC+ with 2GB GDDR5 vRAM / RAM - Crucial 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 at 1600MHz  / HDD - Seagate 2TB Barricuda ST2000DM001 Hard Disc Drive / PSU / WideTech 550W 12V Power Supply

#7 ToranRa

ToranRa

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:10 AM

THANK YOU so very much, Janichsan! This game brings very happily nostalgic memories as a child when I played the demo of this on my older brother's old 1992 Mac PowerPC back in the 90's. I'd give you a hug but that'd be weird.

#8 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:44 AM

That's exactly the one I was trying to describe!  Thanks for the assist.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#9 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8076 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 01 August 2016 - 11:54 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 01 August 2016 - 08:44 AM, said:

That's exactly the one I was trying to describe!  Thanks for the assist.
I vaguely remembered the game from having played the demo, but it really only clicked when you mentioned the squad based gameplay.

View PostToranRa, on 01 August 2016 - 07:10 AM, said:

I'd give you a hug but that'd be weird.
Maybe we can figure out some manly bro-hug.

Posted Image

:mellow:

Well… maybe not.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#10 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 01 August 2016 - 04:22 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 31 July 2016 - 02:47 PM, said:

Ohhh yeah, those two Marathon engine games MacSoft put out. Damage Inc. is the one you're thinking of. Prime Target was the other. Both good games, especially Damage Inc.

I loved that my pistol featured so prominently in it (as it should).
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#11 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:19 PM

I had a problem with Damage Inc. and First to Fight.  I felt so crappy after I lost a man that I couldn't continue with either of them.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#12 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 11:57 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 01 August 2016 - 06:19 PM, said:

I had a problem with Damage Inc. and First to Fight.  I felt so crappy after I lost a man that I couldn't continue with either of them.

Haha! I reloaded my save in both games I don't know how many times for that exact same reason. Every time I lost a Marine it was like a gut punch, even though they were just pixel dudes.

A lot of times in Damage Inc. when I'd go into a really dangerous area, I'd have them set up overwatch (if possible) so they could cover me but also stay safe, then run in there Marathon style and frag everything solo so I wouldn't worry about them.

EDIT: They made a Windows version! I have a new mission for what to find for El Gaming PC.

EDIT 2: Bravo Battery, fire mission. Grid: Amazon. Need two minute saturation, willie pete and hi-ex.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#13 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 02:55 PM

View PostFrost, on 02 August 2016 - 11:57 AM, said:

EDIT 2: Bravo Battery, fire mission. Grid: Amazon. Need two minute saturation, willie pete and hi-ex.

Close!  When I called in an arty strike I'd radio in, "Hotel Battery this is Hotel Bravo, fire mission over".  They'd respond and we would give them the coordinates from a known point on the map.  The known points were given code names such as gas stations or baseball teams.  So for instance I'd say, "From Esso, up 300 right 150.  Give me 1 gun round whiskey papa" so you can tell where the hell the shell hit.  Once we have a smoke cloud we can correct the trajectory and lay it on heavy with something like "This is Hotel Bravo, down 100, left 50, give me 12 guns 12 rounds of hotel echo, fire for effect." and those sons of bitches would churn up the jungle and mix it with the flesh and scatter everything everywhere.  You might want to move it to where you think those poor sods were running to with another correction or lay on another salvo in place with, "This is Hotel Bravo, repeat".  

In those days you had to go patrol the area you wiped out so you can give a "body" count.  And by "body" I mean any two arms and legs, or a torsos and heads, or maybe just find lots of legs and divide by two.  Can't go by hair or shredded skin sacks, the other animals in the jungle have that too.  Ah the good old days when men were men and chest hair, sweat, and butt stink got everywhere.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#14 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:48 PM

Men, chest hair, and sweat I can dig, but butt stink is just too far. Time to take a dip in the Mekong.

Eric5h5:

#15 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 09:01 AM

Butt stink does not respect water.  It only respects diesel oil and a lit match (officers poop was burned in gasoline because their poop was special).  And that was set to burn in their poop barrels nearly every day some where in the firing battery.  Speaking of which, reviewing my memories I think a battery 6 was the biggest salvo we could launch at one time composed of 6 guns, 6 rounds.  I believe we could repeat those ad infinitum though.  That was a loooooong time and a couple lives ago so it's faded some from my head bone.  I'm sure it's a different firing protocol by now.  Anyway, white phosphorus and high explosive carries the day just like you said.  Though we did gas ourselves once, thanks to a noob second Lt. forward observer officer fresh from the states and flown out mid campaign for his very first actual fire mission.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#16 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 12:25 PM

Are you the reason gold bond was invented?

#17 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:36 PM

Bond, Gold Bond.  I like my powder sprinkled not stirred.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#18 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:23 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 03 August 2016 - 02:36 PM, said:

Bond, Gold Bond.  I like my powder sprinkled not stirred.

I should hope so! The thought of Gold Bond powder in a state where it needs stirring is too terrible to imagine but unfortunately because of you I have now.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#19 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:41 PM

IT CAME IT CAME IT CAME!

So I installed Damage Inc. It works in Windows 10 right out of the box with no modification. The only issue I've seen is your Marines' file photos don't appear above their names when selecting them in the mission start segment, but aside from that not one problem. It doesn't even have a lameass CD check, so I can install it and forget it!

So much win.

Oh God it looks awful though. It badly needs a hi res texture pack like Marathon has gotten.

Eric5h5:

#20 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:03 PM

"Oddly this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream."
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat