What happened to Dragon Age: Origins for Mac?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:45 PM

View PostHunahpu, on 18 January 2017 - 03:45 PM, said:

@ Tacohead: Did you have any success in getting DA:O to work? I have the same problem too and posted it on the EA website... http://answers.ea.co...800551#U5800551

Sadly I did not. I'm able to get to the launch options window but it just crashes after that. Please post if you hear a response about this. Thanks.
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.12.3
iPad Air 2 64GB WiFi/iPhone 6+ 64GB

#22 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:31 PM

The settings within the Cider port should not need any alteration. However, it may be necessary to go inside the .app file and find the update utility and run it manually to update Cider itself. Whether or not the associated server is still available for this I wouldn't know but that is something I had to do in the past when the Warhammer Online game was still in existence to get it running properly with its Cider wrapper. After I ran the updater manually, the game worked fine but it wouldn't start until I did that. So for Cider version users trying to play this on Sierra maybe this will help.

For users of other versions, particularly the GOG version, posting in this thread on their forum for the game might be helpful:

https://www.gog.com/...ilability/page2

I have a feeling that with the current Wineskin and a recent version of Wine the game will run but it will require some research and perseverance to get to that point. The fact that it did in the past and that Wine and Wineskin have continued to be updated whereas Cider has not says to me it is doable. I read one report in an older post on the porting team forums where a user did have it running fine with Wineskin at the time. Therefore, whatever tweaks there may have been (or not) in Cider vs. Standard Wine to accommodate this particular game are not critical to running it. Standard Wine should be fine via Wineskin or I'd expect Crossover as well.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#23 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:40 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 19 January 2017 - 06:31 PM, said:

I have a feeling that with the current Wineskin and a recent version of Wine the game will run but it will require some research and perseverance to get to that point. The fact that it did in the past and that Wine and Wineskin have continued to be updated whereas Cider has not says to me it is doable. I read one report in an older post on the porting team forums where a user did have it running fine with Wineskin at the time. Therefore, whatever tweaks there may have been (or not) in Cider vs. Standard Wine to accommodate this particular game are not critical to running it. Standard Wine should be fine via Wineskin or I'd expect Crossover as well.

I haven't been able to get past the splash screen while running in Wineskin.  It crashes right to desktop before launching the main app.
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#24 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:08 PM

View Postclocknova, on 19 January 2017 - 06:40 PM, said:

I haven't been able to get past the splash screen while running in Wineskin.  It crashes right to desktop before launching the main app.

Well, without knowing precisely what you've done with Winetricks, etc. it is impossible to respond to that really. I can only suggest hitting up AppDB, the porting team site, the GOG thread I linked and I guess Google failing those steps. If people have had it working with Wineskin, it must be doable I would think. You might also want to try a post on the site for Wineskin itself as I noted the developer of it had posted about this game in the porting team thread I looked at earlier. So they have at least had some interest in this game working with Wineskin too.

Have you done everything the original poster of this thread did:

http://portingteam.c...under-wineskin/

If not, maybe the problem is there?

By the way, I am not assuming you do or don't know what you're doing with this, have or have not done much research, etc. as of course I cannot possibly know any of that. I'm just trying to be complete in making whatever suggestions I can think of.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#25 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:32 PM

I just updated to OS 10.12.3 then reinstalled Dragon Age Origins but it still doesn't work. It did run some sort of updater after the installation was complete which momentarily gave me some hope that it might work but alas it did not. I did look around in the package contents but saw nothing immediately that might help me out. Hardly an exhaustive examination of the problem but that's about as far as I would like to go with this. My days of messing around with Cider/Wineskin are over.

Being that I completed the game with its expansion and all its DLCs I'm okay with never playing it again but if it had worked I probably would've played it right away again being that the window of opportunity is obviously closing. Oh well.

Good luck to anyone else who might try to get it to work again.
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.12.3
iPad Air 2 64GB WiFi/iPhone 6+ 64GB

#26 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 04:24 PM

I've not tried this game in years (I never did finished it) but I just fired it up on 10.12.3 to check for you and it still seems to runs OK.

I have the Transgaming Cider Port - version 1.05.13263.7607 and just cancelled the login to the online stuff and loaded my last save game.

Maybe the installer could be the issue on a more recent OS?

Edit: forgot to say I have it installed on a separate disk and not in /Applications so that might be involved.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, R9 280X 3GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.6

#27 Hunahpu

Hunahpu

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:45 AM

View PostTacohead, on 19 January 2017 - 12:45 PM, said:

Sadly I did not. I'm able to get to the launch options window but it just crashes after that. Please post if you hear a response about this. Thanks.

No solution from EA :( I also did a fresh install on an external harddrive, but the problem remains... i originally bought the game at gametree, the installer is for version 1.04...