What happened to Dragon Age: Origins for Mac?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 11:28 AM

Does anyone know where one can still buy the Mac version of Dragon Age: Origins?  EA just released on GOG.com today, but only the Windows version.  What's more, I have been completely unable to find the Mac version for sale at any of the usual places.  Did EA just decide to drop it?
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#2 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 July 2016 - 01:03 PM

It was a trangaming port which are all but dead after the buyout. I would be surprised if anyone reputable would make it available for sale anymore. Surprisingly my installed copy still works. Transgaming ports were notorious for not surviving the jump from OS to OS. It's kind of moot since III was never released for OS X, though I didn't think III was all that great so maybe it was a good thing.

D2D appears to have converted my Mac copy to a Windows copy FWIW but I still have the .dmgs downloaded of I+II.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#3 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 14 July 2016 - 01:52 PM

Yeah, I think you're out of luck: Transgaming not only handled the port, they were also the publisher for the Mac version. And they seem to have shut down all their Mac related operations completely.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#4 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:35 PM

Good Riddance, maybe Codeweavers will get more contract jobs in the void. Their official port of World of Warships works great. A lot of other games work great in Crossover. Like better than their official transgaming counterparts ever did. The only other wrapper competition now is VPltd eON and we KNOW how much of a turd that is.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#5 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld

Posted 14 July 2016 - 05:23 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 14 July 2016 - 02:35 PM, said:

Good Riddance, maybe Codeweavers will get more contract jobs in the void. Their official port of World of Warships works great. A lot of other games work great in Crossover. Like better than their official transgaming counterparts ever did. The only other wrapper competition now is VPltd eON and we KNOW how much of a turd that is.

I still have my copy of the ciderized Dragon Age: Origins. But I've re-bought the game on GOG and I'm installing it into a CrossOver bottle right now. Hope it runs well.
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#6 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1575 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 14 July 2016 - 06:44 PM

View PostJan, on 14 July 2016 - 05:23 PM, said:

I still have my copy of the ciderized Dragon Age: Origins. But I've re-bought the game on GOG and I'm installing it into a CrossOver bottle right now. Hope it runs well.

Please let us know how well it runs for you when you get around to it. Hopefully, it will work well. I'd started playing the Cider port here also a while back and it was working pretty well surprisingly. That and Dragon Age II are the only two remaining Cider ports I think I haven't played yet that probably work better with Crossover or Wineskin.

I never liked Transgaming going all the way back to when they built their startup with donations from Linux users for the fork of Wine that originally carried the name WineX. For five bucks a month as i recall, you got voting rights on what they would focus on trying to make work next that was not working well with standard Wine at the time. When they moved on bigger and better things, they threw their Linux users right under the bus despite earlier promises made to them about ongoing support for Linux, etc. It ultimately had limited impact on me as work caused me to return from Linux back to Windows on my home system but I never liked them for that and I never forgot it either.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#7 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1575 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 06:51 PM

By the way, I believe you can still buy Dragon Age II on EA's Origin. I have it there in the Origin client but for some reason they are not carrying the original game there either and never have. When Origin was new they gave me a bunch of games I owned by EA from other places on Origin for the asking including DA II and I asked them why Origins was not available but of course the CS rep had no idea.

#8 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 263 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 07:43 PM

I've noticed some graphics glitches with DAII on OS X 10.10.x and 10.11.x with Intel HD 4K and Intel Iris Pro 6200 systems. Nothing major; flickering textures and pixellated shadow problems mostly. The game still works otherwise.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#9 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 15 July 2016 - 02:12 AM

View PostJan, on 14 July 2016 - 05:23 PM, said:

I think you could have saved some money: the key you bought from Transgaming should work in Origin for Windows too (mine certainly did, I had bought the Ultimate Edition). So you could have downloaded it from there for free.

#10 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 03:38 AM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 15 July 2016 - 02:12 AM, said:

I think you could have saved some money: the key you bought from Transgaming should work in Origin for Windows too (mine certainly did, I had bought the Ultimate Edition). So you could have downloaded it from there for free.

Really? Didn't know that. But I wanted it DRM-free without the need for an Origin account anyway. My Cider version was the Standard Edition, but I also bought some of the DLC. Never had Awakening, though. I still had some GOG credit, it was 5 € total for me. I guess that's a fair deal for the Ultimate Edition.

macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#11 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 11:31 AM

Quick update: I installed the GOG version into a CrossOver bottle using the "Dragon Age Origins Steam" cross tie. First, the game wouldn't launch because an additional PhysX installation is required. Did that, game launches, but now I've encountered another problem: The DA mouse cursor appears but the screen is flickering. Cannot proceed. Needs some more winetricks, I guess.

macOS Sierra

#12 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 04:30 PM

View PostJan, on 16 July 2016 - 11:31 AM, said:

Quick update: I installed the GOG version into a CrossOver bottle using the "Dragon Age Origins Steam" cross tie. First, the game wouldn't launch because an additional PhysX installation is required. Did that, game launches, but now I've encountered another problem: The DA mouse cursor appears but the screen is flickering. Cannot proceed. Needs some more winetricks, I guess.

You could try that doesn't work:

http://portingkit.com/en/

Unfortunately there isn't a premade wrapper for Dragon Age even though there are for many other games but you can still make your own. Of course I guess you could probably do this with Crossover anyways.

I'm fortunate enough to still have Transgaming's port and actually still works perfectly. One of my favorite RPG's of all time and still holds up quite well today.

Good luck getting it to work. Well worth it if you do.
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.12.3
iPad Air 2 64GB WiFi/iPhone 6+ 64GB

#13 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1575 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:02 PM

I would consult WineHQ's AppDB entry for the game if you have not already for info about how likely it is to work well and what must be done to make that happen if it is known. It's a very helpful resource I've always looked at when working with Wine.

#14 crawlingeye

crawlingeye

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 01:00 PM

it's been a long time since this question was asked but i just found dragon age origins/awakening on amazon downloads and that was a revelation. thought i would never get it to work again.

#15 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1575 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:06 PM

View Postcrawlingeye, on 19 November 2016 - 01:00 PM, said:

it's been a long time since this question was asked but i just found dragon age origins/awakening on amazon downloads and that was a revelation. thought i would never get it to work again.

Have you installed it and found that it works? It would still be the transgaming cider "port" of the game which might work fine with the present macOS but it also may not since it predates this version by multiple releases.

#16 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 11:22 AM

I've actually kept installation of both Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age 2 on my Mac, and usually launch it and play around with it every once in a great while. I haven't tried it with MacOS Sierra until I saw this thread and unfortunately it doesn't seem to launch anymore for the first time. I do get to the pregame launch menu but when hitting the "Play" button both games simply quit back to the desktop.

I haven't made any efforts to get it to work beyond this but if I do and have some success I will let you know.

Even though I haven't really played it that seriously in quite some time I was so fond of these games (especially the first one) I couldn't bring myself to erase them even though I have the disk images of them backed up. I guess this is now the end of them though so perhaps it might be time to free up a pretty sizable chunk of hard drive space unless I can get these to work somehow.
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.12.3
iPad Air 2 64GB WiFi/iPhone 6+ 64GB

#17 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3813 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 21 November 2016 - 02:10 PM

Good to know. Sierra will not hit my iMac now.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#18 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 263 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:14 PM

DA2 (v. 1.04) is still working for me on a 13" mid-2012 MBP running Sierra (10.12.1).

Origins works too. The game patched itself on launching (it's been a long time since I last played these).

(edit: I should add that I'm playing the Transgaming versions)
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#19 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1438 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:05 AM

Downloaded and installed DAO from Direct2Drive on my system, worked perfectly.
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#20 Hunahpu

Hunahpu

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:45 PM

View PostTacohead, on 21 November 2016 - 11:22 AM, said:

I've actually kept installation of both Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age 2 on my Mac, and usually launch it and play around with it every once in a great while. I haven't tried it with MacOS Sierra until I saw this thread and unfortunately it doesn't seem to launch anymore for the first time. I do get to the pregame launch menu but when hitting the "Play" button both games simply quit back to the desktop.

I haven't made any efforts to get it to work beyond this but if I do and have some success I will let you know.

Even though I haven't really played it that seriously in quite some time I was so fond of these games (especially the first one) I couldn't bring myself to erase them even though I have the disk images of them backed up. I guess this is now the end of them though so perhaps it might be time to free up a pretty sizable chunk of hard drive space unless I can get these to work somehow.

@ Tacohead: Did you have any success in getting DA:O to work? I have the same problem too and posted it on the EA website... http://answers.ea.co...800551#U5800551