#1 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:08 AM

Not sure how you guys feel about mouse acceleration, but personally I hate it. If you want to disable it in OS X macOS then I've found the small utility SmoothMouse does it very well. It adds a tab to system preferences with settings to enable/disable acceleration and change tracking speed.

It allows you to specify whether acceleration is on/off for mouse and trackpads (you can set individually)

http://smoothmouse.com/
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#2 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17420 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:19 AM

I've not noticed mouse acceleration.  What are the benefits and pitfalls of disabling it?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#3 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:24 AM

When you disable it the computer doesn't try to 'optimize' where your mouse is going. It simply moves your mouse exactly as you move it. For trackpads, I don't mind acceleration as they are often much less accurate than a mouse, but when using a mouse I find mouse acceleration annoying.

I would recommend downloading the tool and then toggling it off/on. I find the difference quite apparent.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#4 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 23 June 2016 - 12:38 PM

That's cool. I just grabbed it and will try it out. I'd also like to get a sense of what the difference feels like because I honestly don't know. I've never messed with it aside of leaving it at default in whatever might have an option to change it and just adjusting tracking speed to suit myself when I felt the need.

Thanks for sharing this.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#5 jeannot

jeannot

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 12:40 PM

I'm one of the few who prefer mouse acceleration in games, for the same reason I prefer it in the rest of the OS: move quickly = move at larger distances and move slowly = be more precise. I don't see why this should not apply in games, even FPS.

#6 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 23 June 2016 - 01:10 PM

In games I dont like it. Throws me off.

On desktop, I dont mind it so much, but...

In OSX, and this has bugged me ever since OSX, is the mouse has this odd 'pothole' when moving slowly. It goes from moving smoothly slower and slower, then hits this grove and goes insta slower. Its done this with every dang mouse I've tried in OSX ever since OSX started doing it. Theres no way to free-hand draw a smooth spiral to a center point with the OSX mouse driver.

I wonder if that smoothmouse gets rid of that... hmm.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester