Anyone taken the plunge and tried VR yet?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 johnmountain

johnmountain

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 05:06 PM

I am still on the fence about this.. there's the cost and obviously the big choice - Oculus or Vive

Anyone tried it yet, share your experience?

I'd be particularly interested in driving games (the full immersion)

#2 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6094 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 18 June 2016 - 10:47 PM

Go Vive. Not only is it a good deal better than Oculus Rift, but they're not trying to buy exclusivity and lock down VR like Facebook/Oculus are.

I have not tried it, but I'm friends with folks who have and they pretty much universally love it. Thinking of getting a Vive myself sometime this year.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#3 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1575 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 18 June 2016 - 11:53 PM

I'm holding out for the real deal, a holodeck, although I suspect I will be checking out the afterlife before that comes along.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#4 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 19 June 2016 - 12:34 AM

I like my vomit free living room.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#5 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3813 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 19 June 2016 - 02:04 AM

I don't think the experience is there yet. The resolution and update frequency is still short of perfect.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#6 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17429 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 05:14 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 19 June 2016 - 12:34 AM, said:

I like my vomit free living room.

That aspect of it is overblown.  Here, try my BCVR that lets you ride that jet that they use to simulate weightlessness.  Forget the nickname for it but you like to ride jets right?  Nothing much worse than that.  The 3D is amazing, the experience unshakable and this week only I'm promoting the BCVR cart along with a big can of my wife's very own Day Old New England Clam Chowder.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#7 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1575 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 09:14 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 19 June 2016 - 05:14 PM, said:

That aspect of it is overblown.  Here, try my BCVR that lets you ride that jet that they use to simulate weightlessness.  Forget the nickname for it but you like to ride jets right?  Nothing much worse than that.  The 3D is amazing, the experience unshakable and this week only I'm promoting the BCVR cart along with a big can of my wife's very own Day Old New England Clam Chowder.

Wait, isn't that deal supposed to include a complimentary air sickness bag so you have a place to toss the chowdah for the return flight?

#8 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8100 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:12 AM

Motion sickness aside, it's pretty clear that VR is still a gimmick, and that game developers have no real idea how to make VR games that (aside from vehicular simulations) are more than small playground-like tech demos, since they can't figure out a proper way how to let the player move. The VR versions of DOOM and Fallout 4 Bethesda showed off at E3 are typical examples of that: in VR DOOM, the player sits immovable on top of a pillar and shoots demons running around him, and in Fallout 4 VR, the player has to teleport around to get anywhere.

The way I see it, VR is currently little more than motion controls were a few years back: a fad that everyone believes they have to include, but soon forgotten when it becomes clear that the games that can be made with it are very limited.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#9 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3813 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 20 June 2016 - 02:14 AM

The Nintendo wiimote and nunchuck seems like a good answer in that aspect.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#10 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8100 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:33 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 20 June 2016 - 02:14 AM, said:

The Nintendo wiimote and nunchuck seems like a good answer in that aspect.
Not really, since it's not an issue of the controller design, but one with what you can do in VR and what not: in standing-up VR games (which are the majority of games developed for the Vive, and includes the mentioned Bethesda VR games), the player can walk around freely in a small area, but not beyond that without moving beyond the range of the motion sensors, the headset cable, and the confinements of his living room. There is no good, non-immersion breaking way to have the player move beyond that, e.g. to have him wander Fallout's wasteland. Moving the player's virtual body forcefully around on the push of an analog stick is a sure-fire way to getting them to puke.

In sit-down VR games (currently most Oculus specific games), the players movement is already limited by the seated position. Full 360 degree turns aren't possible, amongst others, which is why this is only really suitable for games in which the player's avatar is also in a seated position, like vehicular simulations.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#11 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1575 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 12:17 PM

When the Virtual Valerie HD VR Remake comes along I'll get serious about VR and this assumes they figure out something better than a blow up doll for the control scheme.

#12 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 20 June 2016 - 02:42 PM

I remember many many many many years ago playing Duke Nukem 3d at a VR kiosk in Wisconsin Dells. You like stood in a ring and they lowered this GIGANTIC helmet onto you. Then there was some odd custom controller arms that came into the ring that you used. It was cool but even as a kid I remember thinking this sort of seems cool and useless. It was also like 10 bucks for a couple minutes of play.

Might not have been duke nukem, but i remember it playing like duke nukem. Pretty sure it was this nasty thing right here.

Posted Image
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#13 paulcarroll

paulcarroll

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:10 AM

I have tried the oculus and it is impressive, only drawback at the moment is the lack of really decent games. I have the VR headset pre-ordered for the PS4 especially for the release of the new Resident Evil game!
It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave.
Check out my solitaire gaming site and my game blog here.

#14 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:18 AM

A gimmick device gets lots of useless gimmick games.

'requires vr hardware' is a warning label on games, not a selling point.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester