• 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 17 June 2016 - 08:27 AM

Date: 6/17/2016
Time: 9:00PM CST

Download Link: http://worldofwarshi...d/?platform=mac

Username: rakden
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#2 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 17 June 2016 - 11:24 AM

World of WTF?

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#3 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 17 June 2016 - 11:43 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 17 June 2016 - 11:24 AM, said:

World of WTF?

I thought we already were playing that and also that I was winning I might add.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#4 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 17 June 2016 - 12:33 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 17 June 2016 - 11:43 AM, said:

I thought we already were playing that and also that I was winning I might add.
NEVER! Macdude is the master of WTF!

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#5 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 12:50 PM

Posted Image
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#6 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 01:55 PM

I call shenanigans!

#7 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 06:02 PM

I launched the game and my bank account went to zero.  It's probably just a coincidence, someone else run the app to double check that.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#8 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 09:17 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 19 June 2016 - 06:02 PM, said:

I launched the game and my bank account went to zero.  It's probably just a coincidence, someone else run the app to double check that.

Bones, could this be a freemium infection?
Dammit Jim! I'm a doctor, not an economist!!!

#9 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3298 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 20 June 2016 - 06:46 AM

I thought this thread was going to be about world of warcraft.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#10 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 06:58 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 19 June 2016 - 09:17 PM, said:

Bones, could this be a freemium infection?
Dammit Jim! I'm a doctor, not an economist!!!

FWIW you can't buy your way into being good, or even special event ships. PURE UNADULTERATED GRIND BABY. Less P2W than your average 60 dollar EA game these days. Gunna get me that second anime ship before the end of the month. Only thing I've ever bought is some ship slots, which is fair. I've gotten a lot of fun out of the game.

#11 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 11:44 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 20 June 2016 - 06:58 AM, said:

FWIW you can't buy your way into being good, or even special event ships. PURE UNADULTERATED GRIND BABY. Less P2W than your average 60 dollar EA game these days. Gunna get me that second anime ship before the end of the month. Only thing I've ever bought is some ship slots, which is fair. I've gotten a lot of fun out of the game.

I couldn't resist making some fun there but I am not against every single instance of that kind of thing. I have heard good things about the way World of Tanks does things which I think is made by the same guys that make this, isn't it? In the same way, I thought the way Turbine handled it with  LoTRO and DDO was actually pretty good. I bought content as I had reason to want it and it was reasonable. Once purchased, my little alt army could all play though that content too. Aside of that, buying a few character slots and some pack space was all I needed for many hours of fun in both games. Likewise, when my old favorite EverQuest went free-to-play I was able to go back and level a character from 1 to 75 without spending a cent because I already had tons of stuff in the game and they did not restrict my access to any of it which was great. In each of those examples if I had the time for more, I'd be fine going with a subscription because they are worth it but I'm doing that with World of Warcraft instead which for a long time has been the current favorite.

Honestly, I hate the whole sliced-up DLC thing in single player games far more than the various ways the better multiplayer games go about monetizing content. I won't even touch any of them any more and for years as a rule until a long time goes by and all the DLC releases, gets bundled into some GOTY edition and then sold for 20 bucks or less.

#12 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 12:17 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 20 June 2016 - 11:44 AM, said:

Honestly, I hate the whole sliced-up DLC thing in single player games far more than the various ways the better multiplayer games go about monetizing content. I won't even touch any of them any more and for years as a rule until a long time goes by and all the DLC releases, gets bundled into some GOTY edition and then sold for 20 bucks or less.

Well there's the EA DLC method and there's the CD Projekt DLC method. The two paid Single Player DLC packs contain more content than most full games. Then there's EA, you want the complete Mass Effect story. Here's some day one DLC. You want the complete Dragon Age Story. Here's a whole bunch of 5 dollar DLC that really should just be rolled into one 10 dollar DLC but we'd rather charge you more for less.

WoT, WoP, and WoWs are all from wargaming.net, they generally have the same monetization model. You can pay to shorten the grind to higher tiers, but you can't outright buy anything that is better than the other guy. And generally I prefer the mid tier ships anyway so it's hardly a grind to the higher tiers when I don't even want to grind up to them.

#13 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 12:28 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 20 June 2016 - 12:17 PM, said:

WoT, WoP, and WoWs are all from wargaming.net, they generally have the same monetization model. You can pay to shorten the grind to higher tiers, but you can't outright buy anything that is better than the other guy. And generally I prefer the mid tier ships anyway so it's hardly a grind to the higher tiers when I don't even want to grind up to them.

It was a sad day when EA acquired Bioware. :(

My nephew played quite a lot of World of Tanks and really enjoyed it. I passed on to him some codes for stuff I got somehow, I forget how now. It looked cool to me but I just didn't have time for it then so I gave it to him.

I might be interested in this if I was not up to my eyeballs in other stuff. I did a little binge session of WoW last night after being away for a while. It sucked me right back in within the first couple hours once I was back up to speed with the basics again. Blizzard makes such good games and they don't screw around slicing stuff up. I really like that a lot. One expansion to WoW every couple of years with tons of content and they roll out more during its life at no additional cost. For the hours of fun I have there it is entirely worth what they ask for it to me.

#14 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 12:34 PM

That Protheans ME3 day one DLC really rubbed me the wrong way. Like it wasn't CORE to the ME3 story but it was core to the Mass Effect universe as a whole, and it was like a hour worth of content tops. FOR 10 BUCKS ON FUGGIN LAUNCH DAY.

#15 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:25 PM

Paradox has this down to a science with their grand strategy games. I am sure they figure out in advance that they want roughly 300 bucks per seat out of the early adopters and then set about slicing and dicing up the game and its expansions until they arrive at the magic number in total. You've probably seen this. They sell everything from expansions to small groups of sprites to dance around on the maps to bits of theme music to whatever in large numbers until the full price of the game in total during its first year roughly has risen to probably 200 bucks just as a guess and it would not surprise me if something like Europa Universalis IV nets over 300 a seat for early adopters over its lifetime if not more. It's insane but people have to be buying the stuff up because they keep right on doing it. They will do the same with Hearts of Iron IV and I guess Victoria III or whatever is next from them. They did it with the Crusaders whatever it was game as well.

The worst one I ever saw on Steam was some train simulation game I forget the name of which has to be the record holder for most DLC. That sucker had over a grand worth of DLC, dozens of them, all kinds of trains, cars, tracks or whatever. It was absolutely insane but I guess people go for it or it wouldn't be there.

I've bought way too much of that stuff myself over the years and regret it now but at least i don't tend to repeat those mistakes anymore. I did almost always get it dirt cheap or along with GOTY editions though. I absolutely refuse to do day one DLC just like I won't do iOS freemium games. Some lines I just won't cross. I don't care what it is.

#16 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 02:25 PM

Don't dis train simulator.

The trains and tracks are pretty detailed. I'm sure there is a lot of work that goes into the accurate modeling. I imagine only the hardest of hardcore have all the trains and tracks. Plus it's a niche, I suppose the price per unit has to be high because how many people are that interested in train simulator. No real economy of scale there. They do go on sale for 50%+ frequently.

I get what you are saying though. Ppaying 20 bucks list for a train download seems steep.

#17 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 20 June 2016 - 03:12 PM

Payday 2 and its 42 DLCs borders on ridiculous too. Granted, a quarter of them are free, but still...

#18 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 10 July 2016 - 10:48 AM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 20 June 2016 - 03:12 PM, said:

Payday 2 and its 42 DLCs borders on ridiculous too. Granted, a quarter of them are free, but still...
Yeah, gotta agree about that part. If you only do the stealth heists, you only really need the weapon packs, but for everything else...

Also been playing Warships, amazingly great fun, especially with friends!

Lib.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State