14 replies to this topic

#1 Irishman

Irishman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 09:30 AM

So, after peeking into the WWDC app for this year, it's become clear that there are a lot of sessions regarding Metal and OpenGL all week long, certainly more than last year.

The implications for gaming on macOS are obvious, so I thought to myself "Self? Why not start a thread to discuss this?"

So, I am. styles/default/xenforo/clear.png

Some of these sessions are entitled with iOS in mind, but I'm sure will have relevance for macOS, too.

Tuesday the 14th, from 3:00PM to 6:00PM PT, there is "iOS Graphics and Games Lab"

Tuesday the 14th from 4:40PM to 5:40PM, there is a "Adopting Metal, Part 1"

Tuesday the 14th from 6:00PM to 6:40PM, there is "Adopting Metal, Part 2"

Tuesday the 14th, from 7:00PM to 9:00PM, there is "Metal Lab"

Tuesday the 14th, from 7:00PM to 9:00PM, there is "OpenGL and OpenGL ES Lab"

Wednesday the 15th, from 2:00PM to 3:00PM, there is "What's New in Metal, Part 1"

Wednesday the 15th, from 4:40PM to 5:40PM, there is "What's New in Metal, Part 2"

Wednesday the 15th, from 6:00PM to 6:40PM, there is "Advanced Metal Shader Optimization"

Thursday the 16th, from 12:00PM to 12:40PM, there is "What's New in GameplayKit"

Thursday the 16th, from 1:00PM to3:00PM, there is "GameplayKit Lab"

Thursday the 16th, from 2:00PM to 3:00PM, there is "Advances in SceneKit Rendering"

Thursday the 16th, from 3:00PM to 6:00PM, there is "Metal Lab"

Thursday the 16th, from 3:00PM to 6:00PM, there is "macOS Graphics and Games Lab"

If Apple keeps to their history with these, they will upload videos to their WWDC dev page for the sessions (not the labs), where they're presenting new information, as the week goes on. https://developer.ap...wdc/schedule/#/

Since most of us don't live in the Pacific Time Zone, some of these will show up overnight or while we're at work. If I see it, I'll post it in this thread to share.

If you see it, post it up. It should present many opportunities for discussion. :)

COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!

#2 Irishman

Irishman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 03:04 PM

So, Adopting Metal, Part 1 is streaming live now. Apparently, the times are not in PT.
COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!

#3 Irishman

Irishman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 03:54 PM

This stuff is going over my head, not being a coder. Anyone seeing anything interesting?

Pt 2 is coming up in about 6 minutes.

#4 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17421 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 June 2016 - 06:36 PM

That stuff is so far over my head that I'd need a desk chair with warp drive to get there within my lifetime.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#5 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:33 PM

I wish they they would support Vulkan, but this is a very good start. This stuff is way over my head, but I'm happy to see Apple make the push for it towards devs
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#6 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1554 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 15 June 2016 - 04:44 AM

I fell asleep before it was over. I wish they would get down to brass tacks and start talking about some more complex topics of interest.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#7 Irishman

Irishman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:39 AM

I'm really looking forward to "Advanced Metal Shader Optimization" at 6 tonight.

#8 Irishman

Irishman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:16 AM

Come to find out, Apple does have a graphics and games technologies evangelist!

He's listed at the end of one of the Metal sessions.

Allan Schaffer is his name and you can reach him here: aschaffer@apple.com

#9 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3802 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:06 PM

View PostIrishman, on 15 June 2016 - 09:16 AM, said:

Come to find out, Apple does have a graphics and games technologies evangelist!

He's listed at the end of one of the Metal sessions.

Allan Schaffer is his name and you can reach him here: aschaffer@apple.com
Oh yeah, that guy has a very nice broom closet office, furthest away from where Tim sits.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#10 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17421 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 01:57 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 15 June 2016 - 12:06 PM, said:

Oh yeah, that guy has a very nice broom closet office, furthest away from where Tim sits.

His parking spot at Apple is beside the dumpster.  Also I hear he eats lunch alone and that people tape paper signs to his back.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#11 Irishman

Irishman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 04:03 PM

Advanced Metal Shader Optimization is on now.

#12 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2040 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 15 June 2016 - 05:14 PM

View PostIrishman, on 15 June 2016 - 04:03 PM, said:

Advanced Metal Shader Optimization is on now.

We gunna need you to dumb it down fur us cats and explain if this helps us get Horizons and Overwatch. :teehee:
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#13 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1554 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:15 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 15 June 2016 - 01:57 PM, said:

His parking spot at Apple is beside the dumpster.  Also I hear he eats lunch alone and that people tape paper signs to his back.

That makes sense because I heard he's the only guy that isn't going to be allowed to park underground at the new campus, something about being a contractor or something. I forget now.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#14 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17421 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 12:54 PM

I heard that Allan made a big stink about that so Apple moved a couple dumpsters into the underground parking lot for him to park between.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#15 Irishman

Irishman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 07:19 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 16 June 2016 - 12:54 PM, said:

I heard that Allan made a big stink about that so Apple moved a couple dumpsters into the underground parking lot for him to park between.

That's how you win the respect of your peers - one dumpster at a time. :)