#1 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1364 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 13 June 2016 - 01:14 PM

Thoughts? I spied a "Metal Tessellation" feature on their iOS feature cloud, so hopefully it's coming to OS X.

Other favorite things: Tabs everywhere, Dark Mode on AppleTV (but no iOS...WHY), clipboard sync, Craig's jab at Apple Marketing.

Couldn't care less about snapMessage. I must be too old.

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8087 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 13 June 2016 - 01:30 PM

Wow… that was shyte. Utter and complete shyte. :angry:

They spent more time faffing about Messages than about OS X macOS in total. I think the only feature that at least somewhat piqued my interest was the Universal Clipboard. None of macOS' increasingly glaring flaws got addressed: nothing about the abominable graphics APIs, nothing about the outdated file system, nothing about the bloated pig of an application called "iTunes". Nothing.

And don't even get me started about the complete lack of new hardware.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 June 2016 - 01:42 PM

To be fair wwdc really should be software focused. That said the features focused on seem, odd. I'll have to play with the beta see what's actually of interest.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#4 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1364 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 01:53 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 13 June 2016 - 01:42 PM, said:

To be fair wwdc really should be software focused.

I don't disagree, but almost everything except for iMacs and MacBooks are terribly outdated. And historically, there have been hardware announcements.

View PostJanichsan, on 13 June 2016 - 01:30 PM, said:

None of macOS' increasingly glaring flaws got addressed: nothing about the abominable graphics APIs, nothing about the outdated file system, nothing about the bloated pig of an application called "iTunes". Nothing.

I *think* Eddie said that a new Music app was coming to the Mac too, when they demoed it for iOS. But I might be incorrect. In any case, I wasn't exactly impressed by the "improvements." They really need a separate "You just play offline music? Use this!" app.

I didn't expect them to devote time super nerdy stuff now that they have four OSs to cover. The Keynote is for the public, and the state of the union is for developers. But yes, still no new file system is disappointing. Thank goodness for the Metal improvements, though. Hope they are enough.

Edit: There is a new file system. Holy popsnizzle.

Apple File System is a new modern file system for iOS, OS X, tvOS and watchOS. Apple File System is optimized for Flash/SSD storage and features strong encryption, copy-on-write metadata, space sharing, cloning for files and directories, snapshots, fast directory sizing, atomic safe-save primitives, and improved filesystem fundamentals. A Developer Preview is available in OS X v10.12. For more information, see Apple File System Guide.

That link also details the metal improvements.

#5 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 02:03 PM

I wonder if the new metal stuff will make elite dangerous horizons feasible on the Mac
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#6 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1364 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 02:50 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 13 June 2016 - 02:03 PM, said:

I wonder if the new metal stuff will make elite dangerous horizons feasible on the Mac

Wish Brad Oliver would make a reappearance. I follow him on twitter and he seems to have mixed feelings on the Metal improvements here, but I don't know what it actually means, practically speaking.

#7 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 02:58 PM

View PostCougar, on 13 June 2016 - 02:50 PM, said:

Wish Brad Oliver would make a reappearance. I follow him on twitter and he seems to have mixed feelings on the Metal improvements here, but I don't know what it actually means, practically speaking.

Yea, I understood some of those words in the linked article.

#8 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 13 June 2016 - 03:32 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 13 June 2016 - 01:30 PM, said:

None of macOS' increasingly glaring flaws got addressed: nothing about the abominable graphics APIs, nothing about the outdated file system, nothing

Well APFS filesystem is coming at last.

Wish Brad Oliver would make a reappearance.

Should we try to point him to this thread?

#9 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 13 June 2016 - 04:53 PM

macOS Graphics and Games Lab
June 16, 9:00 PM–12:00 AM

#10 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8087 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 12:20 AM

View PostCougar, on 13 June 2016 - 01:53 PM, said:

I *think* Eddie said that a new Music app was coming to the Mac too, when they demoed it for iOS. But I might be incorrect.
I think he just meant the Apple Music tab weithin iTunes. The macOS Sierra preview page explicitly shows the new Apple Music redesign as part of iTunes.

That's a surprise. "Coming in 2017". So probably not before macOS 10.13. Well...

Posted Image

View Postmacdude22, on 13 June 2016 - 02:03 PM, said:

...or Overwatch for that matter. I expect it won't.

Also noteworthy:

The Game Center app has been removed.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#11 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1364 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 12:31 AM

Well, that's one way to fix Game Center bugs!

I'm kind of glad the new FS isn't coming in 10.12. It'll have a nice long beta period. A FS is something that needs to be rock solid from day 1.

Also, they are apparently going to open source it, or at least parts of it.

#12 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8087 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:10 AM

Yeah, his reaction doesn't seem too happy...

#13 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3802 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 14 June 2016 - 03:16 AM

iTunes hasn't been touched, Apple Music is still all over the Music app, Metal got almost no changes.

At least we got a preview of a new filesystem, and a gazillion new way of interacting with emojis... Meh
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#14 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 04:52 AM

https://developer.ap...y/wwdc2016/611/

I just hope this means aspyr can get generals working again. Man that breaking 3 months after I bought it really ground my gears.

#15 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8087 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 08:05 AM

It doesn't seem to be all doom and gloom regarding Metal: Brad Oliver also seems to see quite a couple of positive things.

#16 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1364 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 08:06 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 14 June 2016 - 02:10 AM, said:

Yeah, his reaction doesn't seem too happy...

His latest:

Lots of new APIs for Metal to query texture buffer objects in Metal, but the critical API - creating a texture from a buffer - is still iOS.

I don't get why Apple doesn't care about this stuff on the Mac. I get that they don't care about gaming, but this goes beyond gaming.

View PostJanichsan, on 14 June 2016 - 08:05 AM, said:

It doesn't seem to be all doom and gloom regarding Metal: Brad Oliver also seems to see quite a couple of positive things.

"Somewhat painful, but not a total disaster."--Brad Oliver

Apple Marketing, there's a free quote for your Sierra page!

#17 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8087 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 12:22 PM

View PostCougar, on 14 June 2016 - 08:06 AM, said:

I don't get why Apple doesn't care about this stuff on the Mac. I get that they don't care about gaming, but this goes beyond gaming.
Yup, I really fail to see the logic here.

"Somewhat painful, but not a total disaster."--Brad Oliver

Apple Marketing, there's a free quote for your Sierra page!
Still better than what he has to say about the current OpenCL, which is according to him "truly a disaster". :P

#18 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 15 June 2016 - 04:56 AM

View PostMichalM.Mac, on 13 June 2016 - 04:53 PM, said:

macOS Graphics and Games Lab
June 16, 9:00 PM–12:00 AM

Yeah but brunch is from 9:15 to 11:45!

Besides, you guys know this is about porting iOS Metal games to macOS right?

View PostJanichsan, on 14 June 2016 - 12:20 AM, said:

I think he just meant the Apple Music tab weithin iTunes. The macOS Sierra preview page explicitly shows the new Apple Music redesign as part of iTunes.

That's a surprise. "Coming in 2017". So probably not before macOS 10.13. Well...

Posted Image

...or Overwatch for that matter. I expect it won't.

Also noteworthy:

That stickman is awesome! So, the Apple Pencil is worth it then. I gotta get me one and learn to draw like you.

View Postmacdude22, on 14 June 2016 - 04:52 AM, said:

https://developer.ap...y/wwdc2016/611/

I just hope this means aspyr can get generals working again. Man that breaking 3 months after I bought it really ground my gears.

Did Apple fix Game Center on macOS? I thought that was the problem for Generals and some other titles. Last I knew Aspyr's Duke Nukem, Generals and Black OPS games all had major issues which personally I don't have a lot of faith in them fixing after this much time. Oh, and Company of Heroes has also been hosed and then removed from the Mac App store. Those guys are really doing swell between these things and releasing umm, have they released anything since Civ V?
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#19 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 15 June 2016 - 05:04 AM

Personally, I was glad I only wasted seven minutes of my life on the MacRumors highlights of WWDC video. I mean on the whole the evolutionary stuff seems alright and it is a developer's conference but there wasn't really much to get excited about from a consumer point of view unless you are into memorizing Siri's magical phrases  to do simple things you could just as easily click through or whatever.

Don't get me wrong as I like Apple products very much and I do like Macs a lot despite the issues. Nothing is perfect. I think I've just become a little jaded when it comes to the hype sometimes is all. This particular time around I didn't note anything that I felt excited about in any way although we might get some cool new wallpaper in macOS Sierra and it is free so that'll be nice.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#20 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 06:28 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 15 June 2016 - 04:56 AM, said:

Did Apple fix Game Center on macOS? I thought that was the problem for Generals and some other titles. Last I knew Aspyr's Duke Nukem, Generals and Black OPS games all had major issues which personally I don't have a lot of faith in them fixing after this much time. Oh, and Company of Heroes has also been hosed and then removed from the Mac App store. Those guys are really doing swell between these things and releasing umm, have they released anything since Civ V?

They are getting rid of the App and leaving the UI for the gamekit framework up to the developer. My hope is in the process of these updates, Apple fixed whatever broke in 10.11. Duke Nukem and Black OPS are pretty old (in computer time) so I give Aspyr a bit of a pass on them. But Generals, I mean buy that 3 months before 10.11 drops. Boom, you're dead in the water. Don't upgrade to 10.11 or don't play generals. We'll I'm not going to not update for one game. The real rub was Aspyr still selling it in the App Store. I get they made a not insignificant investment in making this game but being a multiplayer game at it's core, they have been selling a broken game for the past 3/4 of a year. If they can't get it working with gamekit on 10.12 they need to gut the networking and put in gameranger now that it's back, so at least we can play the damn thing.

Aspyr has rereleased a lot of the old Sims 2 standalone games. To their credit they run really well. I suppose until 10.12 lol.