DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 09 June 2016 - 12:07 PM

This just started happening this afternoon. I am not aware of doing anything different here and have not installed anything new. For some reason, iTunes keeps opening and starting to randomly play music. Sometimes it skips through various tracks again all by itself with no input from me. I have no idea what started this peculiar behavior but I am innocent I tell you!!! This freaking software has gone rogue and has a mind of its own. At least it likes Bob Dylan. I'll give it that.

A Google search reveals that people have been experiencing this issue off and on for years and various versions of OS X and iOS which some believe is implicated as iPhones and iPads are supposedly attempting to sync but i have sync turned off in iTunes and do not use it at all. My iPad is shut off. My iPhone is on but it is not connected to the computer. In fact, nothing is at this point aside of my Bose speakers. Ultimately, I could not find a solution on Google with multiple people seeming to have multiple setups they were thinking caused it that do not apply here and my configuration does not seem to match up with ways they say were the problem.

So, oh great ones how do I get iTunes to start behaving itself again? I have never seen it do this before.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#2 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17420 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 June 2016 - 02:22 PM

Remember those unclean spirits from not playing Borderlands possessing your computer earlier?  I think your computer needs an exorcism with a legendary Combustion Hellfire SMG.  Better do it in the yard or at least bring a hose into the house.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#3 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3802 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 10 June 2016 - 02:50 AM

Try using another keyboard, at least that'll tell you if it is the play button that is causing trouble.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#4 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 05:43 AM

To see if it is a software issue try creating another user account for testing and login as that. Put a few tracks in iTunes and see what happens.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, R9 280X 3GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.6

#5 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:26 AM

Sorry to be slow in coming back to this. I wound up being busy doing various stuff yesterday that even involved going outside! I wound up trying the old faithful which is to say, I shut the computer off and left it that way for the rest of the day and evening. I got sucked into watching one episode after another of these morbid, terrible true crime shows. I don't why I do that sometimes. I blame a former girlfriend for exposing me to them initially. Anyway, today I booted up and the mysterious issue seems to have magically fixed itself somehow.

Should iTunes rear its ugly head in this way again I will be sure to let you know. I guess from this I can at least conclude that my Apple keyboard's buttons are not the problem.

I have not heard from my neighbor who was going to let me know on Wednesday about buying the iMac but he has not even been home. I am hoping he is okay but it could be that a surgery he'd told me about happened and I was confused about when. Anyway, if for some reason he does not buy this system I am thinking with all the space I have in this large room I might get a cheapo computer desk at Walmart, put it together first try with a little luck and stick this on it as an internet appliance and steaming video screen to watch from the comfort of my bed rather than sell it. I'm sure you have noticed by now I have issues with changing my mind like the weather so we'll see about that but maybe. It is kind of an appealing idea. I've been feeling this strange sense of discomfort at the idea of not having a Mac even though I don't really need one if I get a PC, certainly not enough to justify buying any new one presently available. In any event, I did offer this to my neighbor at what I feel and he did also, is a good price for it at a grand so if he does want it, it's his and that's that. I figured I would explain why I even care what iTunes is doing on this thing at this point given what I've said elsewhere about selling this system.

#6 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:32 AM

Oh, by the way that exorcism idea is pretty good one at this point if I do wind up keeping this iMac for watching HBO in here and whatever. What I mean by this specifically is that the operating system descends from OS X Lion on the mid-2011 iMac four years ago which has been upgraded on top of repeatedly with each new OS X release and was also transferred to this late-2013 iMac completely via Time Machine sort of, well all settings and apps I guess and so on. I presume Time Machine would not overwrite the Mavericks install this iMac originally came with but migrating from the old iMac would have brought along a lot of stuff I would think. So then I later installed Yosemite on top of Mavericks and El Capitan on top of that and countless apps & games coming and going.

Therefore, should this wind up living here longer after all I will blow away the hard drive's contents and do a fresh OS X install when the new one comes along and only restore specific user data and nothing else. Apps or whatnot I will download and install fresh for a new start which amounts to an exorcism of sorts. Maybe I'll light some candles around the thing and do it in the evening, toss in a few Gregorian chants for good measure and see how it all turns out.

#7 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17420 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 09:13 AM

For a bag of catnip and a jug of whiskey I'll knock out some Halo style Gregorian chants for you.  I'll need to use that stuff before I start.  I don't think you want to be around to listen to it unless you have heavy metal cranked up in your earphones, that or bring a large soft rag to soak up the ear blood.  Once I go into my kazoo solo instrumental you'll need to leave the room or risk getting possessed by the hell spawn streaming from your computer.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#8 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 10 June 2016 - 09:41 AM

Could be an Apple remote somewhere in the house. Those can open iTunes if "Play" gets pressed and then will make iTunes start playing music, skipping around, etc. with further button presses.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#9 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:08 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 10 June 2016 - 09:41 AM, said:

Could be an Apple remote somewhere in the house. Those can open iTunes if "Play" gets pressed and then will make iTunes start playing music, skipping around, etc. with further button presses.

That's interesting and would not have occurred to me. I do have one for the 3rd generation Apple TV in the next room sitting on the coffee table there. That always seems to work just fine but who knows I guess what the problem was now. While on the subject of those remotes, is that thing IR or Bluetooth, do you know? I thought they were all IR which this iMac does not have unlike the one before it but maybe some use Bluetooth? Now that I think of it, I cannot recall exactly what the end of the remote looks like or I'd know but the parrots are sleeping now so I don't want to disturb them over it.

#10 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17420 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 10:27 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 10 June 2016 - 08:08 PM, said:

[...] the parrots are sleeping now so I don't want to disturb them over it.

Awesome.  Pics plez.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#11 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8086 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 11 June 2016 - 02:11 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 10 June 2016 - 08:08 PM, said:

That's interesting and would not have occurred to me. I do have one for the 3rd generation Apple TV in the next room sitting on the coffee table there. That always seems to work just fine but who knows I guess what the problem was now. While on the subject of those remotes, is that thing IR or Bluetooth, do you know? I thought they were all IR which this iMac does not have unlike the one before it but maybe some use Bluetooth? Now that I think of it, I cannot recall exactly what the end of the remote looks like or I'd know but the parrots are sleeping now so I don't want to disturb them over it.
The silver and black ones that probably came with the 3rd gen Apple TV only use IR, so they should only work on line-of-sight (there could be some freak conditions where they actually might work around a corner, though). Only the new all black ones for the 4th gen Apple TV have Bluetooth.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"