Why do I try to be helpful on MacRumors? Why?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 05 June 2016 - 12:14 PM

See this thread for a laugh...

http://forums.macrum...-games.1975518/

At least, I thought it funny ultimately although sadly the joke is mostly on me. It's a good thing I sometimes I enjoy killing time writing stuff. Well for me it is usually, maybe not so much those who read it or skip it or whatever.

By the way, if you do look at this skip the all stuff in post #8 where I get started until the bottom of it where I respond to a bit of quoted text. There is where the fun begins.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#2 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 June 2016 - 02:12 PM

I haven't been really over to that festering hive for years.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#3 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 05 June 2016 - 02:24 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 05 June 2016 - 02:12 PM, said:

I haven't been really over to that festering hive for years.
Compared to several other forums I've come into contact with in the last few years (Steam, Bungie, Elite Dangerous), it's still almost a nice place...

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#4 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17381 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 02:31 PM

You'll never escape my HELL HOLE!!!  ::evil laugh::  ::coughing fit::
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#5 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 05 June 2016 - 02:38 PM

steam forums are a festering hive holy carps! You cannot hold any amount of decent conversation on steam forums (or in reviews for that matter sshessssh).

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#6 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17381 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:05 PM

alt.games.marathon was a pretty diverse crowd of people from around the world and it was a very pleasant place to hang out with fellow gamers.   I remember the Myth boards were a hot bed of seething discontent.  Civil war broke out in the MacAddict forums, a moderator went nuts and gave his password to a group of very bad players and troublemakers in the forums and they all proceeded to change stuff around and copy and paste discussion from the moderator forum out of context getting people enraged.  It was a nasty business.  That's when I left, I just didn't want to be around that crowd of people any more.  Wrote a resignation letter and never went back.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#7 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:54 PM

Steam forums are only good for looking up whether or not somebody else has already fixed an issue since you won't get any help otherwise aside of google. I feel the same way about GOG forums. Only the individual game forums are worth visiting for the same kind of info. MacRumors has been a habit I am now ready to break as it isn't really relevant to me anymore aside of the front page news.

It's a good thing you guys put up with me or else I'd be out wandering the internet wasteland alone. At least after trips out there I can come back here and report in on my findings or read about yours.

#8 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:06 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 05 June 2016 - 02:24 PM, said:

Compared to several other forums I've come into contact with in the last few years (Steam, Bungie, Elite Dangerous), it's still almost a nice place...

The Bungie.net forums? Clearing the bar doesn't count when you dig a hole to place said bar in before the competition leaps over it.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#9 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:26 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 05 June 2016 - 07:54 PM, said:

Steam forums are only good for looking up whether or not somebody else has already fixed an issue since you won't get any help otherwise aside of google. I feel the same way about GOG forums. Only the individual game forums are worth visiting for the same kind of info. MacRumors has been a habit I am now ready to break as it isn't really relevant to me anymore aside of the front page news.

It's a good thing you guys put up with me or else I'd be out wandering the internet wasteland alone. At least after trips out there I can come back here and report in on my findings or read about yours.

GoGs forums used to be more, how you say, friendly. Years ago, in the age of the GoG beta. But the 4chan crowd seems to have flooded it like they flood every other online forum these days.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#10 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:45 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 06 June 2016 - 06:26 AM, said:

GoGs forums used to be more, how you say, friendly. Years ago, in the age of the GoG beta. But the 4chan crowd seems to have flooded it like they flood every other online forum these days.

Yeah. I do recall that and I used to post there. Many of my Steam friends are people who like myself staged left quite a while back and a few of us belong to a small group where we still chat without all the noise. It was quite a different place early on I remember.

#11 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:53 AM

I only communicate through insidemacgames and comp.sys.apple2, thus avoiding all the 4chan.

Posted Image

#12 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 10:45 AM

MR forums are filled with idiots, psychopaths, and a couple of Beverly Hills plastic surgeons who like to show off their Apple Watch Editions. I usually just post "Steve Jobs would've never done this" just to get everyone angry.
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#13 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 06 June 2016 - 11:01 AM

I guess nothing is as bad as reddit though.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#14 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:31 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 06 June 2016 - 11:01 AM, said:

I guess nothing is as bad as reddit though.

www.facebook.com
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#15 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3783 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:23 PM

I have to agree with Frost. Facebook is Reddit for normal people, which makes it even more stupid.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#16 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:49 PM

Just connect to telnet://bbs.iscabbs.com and let all your 4chan cares flow away.

#17 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17381 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:03 PM

I used to telnet into my wife's university using NiftyTelnet.  That was so long ago the app won't run on my old PowerPC G5.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#18 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:29 PM

You can configure terminal.app to deal with an ansi bbs well enough, well enough for me at the price of free anyway.

#19 nick68k

nick68k

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 246 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:51 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 06 June 2016 - 06:03 PM, said:

I used to telnet into my wife's university using NiftyTelnet.  That was so long ago the app won't run on my old PowerPC G5.

I can remember the telnet addresses of my mail- and IRC servers from 25 years ago, but I can barely remember my zipcode and phone number these days.

*shakes cane*
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#20 Auron

Auron

Billowing Smokestack of BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:09 PM

Man have I missed this place