9 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2453 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:31 PM

I've like to run a couple old Mac games that I wrote, maybe capture some video for posterity. Obvious answer is to use an emulator like Sheepshaver, but I haven't had any luck with it.

I've followed the directions here: http://www.emaculati..._mac_os_x_setup
I've tried both Old World and New World ROMs, and I've tried naming the files "ROM", "ROM.rom", "Mac OS ROM.rom". But no matter what I do, SheepShaver quits on launch, which usually means it didn't find a valid ROM.

Console only logs a warning which doesn't look fatal: "SheepShaver[5221]: WARNING: The Gestalt selector gestaltSystemVersion is returning 10.9.5 instead of 10.11.5. This is not a bug in Gestalt -- it is a documented limitation. Use NSProcessInfo's operatingSystemVersion property to get correct system version number."

I feel like I'm missing something basic. Has anyone had luck with SheepShaver, particularly under Mavericks? Should I try Basilisk instead?
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#2 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 31 May 2016 - 03:00 AM

I've gotten Sheepshaver to work in El Cap. I don't see why there should be a problem with Mavericks. I used the files from this site:
http://www.redundant...haver-tutorial/

#3 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2453 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 04:56 AM

Yep, that's where I got the ROM files from. And the Sheepshaver app he points to is the same one I was using.

I just tried it again. Downloaded & unzipped Sheepshaver, downloaded & unzipped ROM. Put ROM in app folder, renamed it to ROM.rom. Sheepshaver quits on launch, same as before.

I just noticed a remark about Mavericks in the readme which implies that it should work. So that's not the problem..

#4 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:15 AM

No idea then, sorry. You'd probably have better luck asking in the emaculation forums.

#5 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8076 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 01 June 2016 - 12:51 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 30 May 2016 - 08:31 PM, said:

I've like to run a couple old Mac games that I wrote, maybe capture some video for posterity. Obvious answer is to use an emulator like Sheepshaver, but I haven't had any luck with it.

I've followed the directions here: http://www.emaculati..._mac_os_x_setup
I've tried both Old World and New World ROMs, and I've tried naming the files "ROM", "ROM.rom", "Mac OS ROM.rom". But no matter what I do, SheepShaver quits on launch, which usually means it didn't find a valid ROM.

Console only logs a warning which doesn't look fatal: "SheepShaver[5221]: WARNING: The Gestalt selector gestaltSystemVersion is returning 10.9.5 instead of 10.11.5. This is not a bug in Gestalt -- it is a documented limitation. Use NSProcessInfo's operatingSystemVersion property to get correct system version number."

I feel like I'm missing something basic. Has anyone had luck with SheepShaver, particularly under Mavericks? Should I try Basilisk instead?
I couldn't try yesterday, but checked today: SheepShaver works fine for me und El Capitan, and I definitely also had it running under Mavericks. I get the same (weird) error message in Console as you ("The Gestalt selector gestaltSystemVersion is returning 10.9.5 instead of 10.11.5.…"), so that's not the issue.

Have you tried renaming the rom file to "Mac OS ROM", i.e. without any extension? That's what it says in the Emaculation setup guide, and that's also what's the rom file is called for me.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#6 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2453 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 04:44 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 01 June 2016 - 12:51 AM, said:

Have you tried renaming the rom file to "Mac OS ROM", i.e. without any extension? That's what it says in the Emaculation setup guide, and that's also what's the rom file is called for me.

I did try that. But you made me realize the problem: Finder sometimes hides file extensions even when you think you are seeing it. I just tried editing the extension off of newrom86.rom on the desktop and then did Get Info; sure enough, all I'd done was hide the extension. To strip it off properly I had to edit it in the Get Info window itself.

A fellow IMG reader is also sending me a package of Sheepshaver with the OS installed already, so that'll hopefully skip me over any number of setup problems. Thanks, person who may or may not wish to remain anonymous!

(Incidentally I do have a working G3 Powerbook so I view myself as a legal owner of a Classic Mac ROM, etc.)

#7 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8076 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 01 June 2016 - 05:24 AM

Have you tried using the Sheepshaver UI app to point it to the ROM location? Shouldn't normally be necessary if it's in the right place, but it's worth a try.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#8 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2453 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 04:51 PM

There is a setting to point to a different ROM file, but you can't edit the preference (at least, not through the app's UI) until you can get it to run the first time without quitting, which needs a ROM file with the default name. Chicken and egg problem, though maybe the setting can be changed by editing a text file somewhere.

#9 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2453 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:16 PM

:o It lives!!!

Posted Image

Thanks for the assist, everyone!

#10 mossy_11

mossy_11

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 09:34 PM

Yay! Sorry I wasn't here earlier to help with this.

For future reference, Sheepshaver saves its preferences in a hidden file in your home directory called .sheepshaver_prefs. If you're having problems you can always edit or delete that. There's also an app called SheepShaverPrefs floating around. It works in Mavericks (and Yosemite, and maybe El Cap but I haven't tried). That gives you a very helpful GUI for editing and setting up the preferences file.
Author of The Secret History of Mac Gaming - https://unbound.co.uk/books/macgaming - publishing (northern hemisphere) Spring 2018