1 reply to this topic

#1 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1434 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 05:19 AM

I'd like to describe the well-paid*, latchkey, raised on television and videogames kid in me frothing over the GTX 1080/1070 video cards. Nary the spare time, taxable, work-related reason or energy for investing in switching to PC or creating a Hackintosh my options include waiting to purchase one with a flashed EFI to slap in my MacPro to keep about my merry way.

I came across a tittle I'd like to pass along. As it were, a thread on Netkas forums popped up while one post forwards the adventurous clicker to this blog post from MacVidCards.

TL;DR—NVIDIA have to make the first move, updating their Web Drivers to support Pascal. Likelihood is only 100% after the fact.

*please do note [that] this term is quite relative
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#2 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 30 May 2016 - 11:42 AM

From MVC's blog:

If/when there is an EFI version of the 1080, could you tell us what they might cost? I'm assuming adding about $200 to the retail price - so around $800. Is that correct?
MVC : That's a good estimate.

No freaking way I'd pay a $200 premium for an unsupported hack.

As for me, I think that by Christmas holidays I'll have a home-built PC, sporting a GTX 1070 (the 1080 is just too expensive for what you get as added performance, ie poorer price/performance ratio), a good Skylake i5 (don't think I'd benefit from an i7, but we'll see), at least 16 GB of DDR4 RAM, and all those hard drives and SSDs currently installed in my Mac Pro (minus one HDD left in the Mac Pro for its resale). If Apple had kept selling an extensible tower I'd probably bought it, but the funeral urn is such a joke, so sorry Apple, no more business with me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nvidia, gtx, 1080, 1070, pascal, netkas, macvidcards, efi