• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:40 AM

See this article for the full story:

http://www.computerw...two-months.html

This is why I continue to hate these guys. They treat their customers with such disregard it is outrageous. I am tempted to just ditch Windows altogether and the XBox too in favor of a PS4 just to be completely divorced from them in every way. They really are scum from the top down when they do stuff like this. There is no question that was a deliberate act intended to trick users into "upgrading" who were clearly trying to bail out of the process. There is just no defending that at all. They never learn. They still suck.

I really need to get the Windows games played and be done with it or else just give up on them since the amount of new stuff I'd like to play is pretty overwhelming anyway. Last I knew, I think the Bethesda games I missed will run in Wineskin pretty well. I don't think there is anything else that matters and going forward with a PS4 I wouldn't miss anything else of importance to me.

Does anybody know where you can check for what they offer for PS3 backward compatibility if anything? I took a look on their site but did not see anything about that but I didn't try very hard yet.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#2 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2039 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:58 AM

Phil Spencer and Paul Bowden are good people (Xbox and Apple Platform Experience teams respectively) . Don't lump them in with the crufty managers left by Balmer.

That said, it's pretty bad if you manage to get the Kool Aid King Paul Thurrott to badmouth Microsoft on this.

There is no PS3 backwards compatibility. There is the sh**box PSNow streaming service tho.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#3 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2039 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:06 AM

Apple ain't all roses and kittens.

https://www.apple.co...ro-videoissues/

This fraking Problem. I've had multiple calls with Apple on this. The issue isn't fixed with repaired units, the replacement boards still have the defect. Apple is just hoping enough people will get a new computer before the program is up. I half think the KBBs that get sent back are tossed in an oven just long enough to reflow the solder and sent back as refurbished boards. You sold lemons, you're fixing lemons and you're patching up the lemons with fresh lemon rinds. People who bought these turds should simply get Full Unit Replacements. This is Apple's RROD. Microsoft took their billion dollar hit and fixed them, Apple needs to step up and do the same here.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#4 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17420 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:07 AM

Hey I just got here Harry, don't go!  When I got Windows 8.1 it was with the knowledge that I would scarf up the free upgrade to 10 ASAP.  Fortunately though, it wasn't doing it automatically then so I had the luxury of selecting an appropriate time for the long ass install.  I know I would have been extremely irked if it kicked off it's update while I was booting into Windows for a gaming session.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#5 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2039 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:29 AM

And don't get me started on 923-00975 ( front hard drive flex cable) that fails at the drop of a pin. They redesigned the packaging for the service part to at least try to slow the rate of DOAs on it.

#6 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:13 AM

Well, I know nobody is perfect. Pardon the rant but I still hate 'em! :moreangry:

Anyway, it turns out a PS3 is cheap and so are the games I want for it on Amazon so I think that is gonna take care of that. It also means I can afford to do it sooner which is cool. I'll move up to a PS4 later which works out well since there is the possibility of an upgrade coming to that (and XBox also I hear) on the horizon.

Between the Mac, iPad and Playstations I have no need for anything M$.

#7 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:14 AM

Working in the small-business environment - Windows 10 upgrades are such a ginormous pain. We manage a few thousand machines from a few dozen different small business clients and not all of them have/want proper IT practices to be implemented and the Windows 10 automated update has fraked up more than a few of their businesses. Many of them use popsnizzlety software that hasn't been upgraded for 15 years that requires reg tweaks to function properly. Of course Windows 10 breaks all of that so when a user finally surrenders to the relentless onslaught of update prompts from MS it fraks up their work machine for a day or two while we have to go on-site to fix the issue.

I don't mind Windows 10 as an OS (using it on my bootcamp partition and my gaming PC) but i really hate how hard MS pushes the update. It's like malware levels bad.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#8 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6089 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:15 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 25 May 2016 - 08:40 AM, said:

Does anybody know where you can check for what they offer for PS3 backward compatibility if anything? I took a look on their site but did not see anything about that but I didn't try very hard yet.

There's no backwards compatibility on the PS4 outside of HD remasters of PS3 or application-specific ports of PS1 and PS2 games.

Mainly because while emulating the PS3's Cell CPU is possible, apparently it's such a hardware-intensive task translating that highly-specialized PPC code to x86 that you'd need a high-end PC at minimum to run full speed. Neither console is really up to that kind of task. Like macdude said, there's PS Now, but... I was a tester on that and it was a lagfest. You'd need to be really close to one of the servers for it to be a good experience.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#9 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:25 AM

Yeah, for the best compatibility experience aside of a few noteworthy remasters I'll just get the hardware. It's cheap and will work perfectly. My PS2 is awesome. I really like the thing despite how old it is and it is surprising how good the games still look on the TV even though they obviously do not compare to new stuff. SSX 3 looks great flying down the slopes. Maybe the speed helps but I enjoy that game. It's really fun. I've been playing the first SOCOM which does look its age but find that one fun too. I've got a library of really great titles for that system. I'd like to buy a brand new one of those and stick it in the closet for whenever the one I have breaks.

#10 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:36 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 25 May 2016 - 08:40 AM, said:

See this article for the full story:

http://www.computerw...two-months.html

Well, I'm not so sure that's the full story. For two reasons:
- I have a laptop on Win 7 and never had this window. Sure there's the notification in the task bar inviting me to upgrade to Win 10. And that's all. You can even close its window with the red cross without issues.
- Notice the wording in the screenshot: "You signed up for Windows 10, and it's ready". So people had to take action in the past to sign up. And now that Win 10 is there, they don't want it anymore?

Granted, the incriminated dialog box behaviour is counter-intuitive, but it's not as if Microsoft was forcing upgrades on people's computers who never wanted it in the first place.

#11 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:55 AM

It is what it is. If you upgraded earlier you would not have seen it.

They deliberately made it so that closing a dialog to bail in the standard way would result in applying the upgrade. That's full story enough for me.

#12 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 25 May 2016 - 02:25 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 25 May 2016 - 11:55 AM, said:

If you upgraded earlier you would not have seen it.
But I haven't! This laptop is still on Windows 7, since I know I have software on it not compatible with Windows 8 and later.

They deliberately made it so that closing a dialog to bail in the standard way would result in applying the upgrade.
Well, yes, and it's a poor design decision, but only people who had requested Windows 10 in the past get to see this box, in my experience. So basically, people bitten by this are those who registered to get Win 10 but eventually wanted to cancel or delay the upgrade. So MS is heavy handed, sure, but people should think twice before signing up for some upgrade.

#13 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2039 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 02:49 PM

Did anyone mention (*&)$*(#)(*$)#*(%^($*(@&$*(@#&$()@#*$&()@#*$&%^* 923-00975  :cool:

#14 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:23 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 25 May 2016 - 10:14 AM, said:

Working in the small-business environment - Windows 10 upgrades are such a ginormous pain. We manage a few thousand machines from a few dozen different small business clients and not all of them have/want proper IT practices to be implemented and the Windows 10 automated update has fraked up more than a few of their businesses. Many of them use popsnizzlety software that hasn't been upgraded for 15 years that requires reg tweaks to function properly. Of course Windows 10 breaks all of that so when a user finally surrenders to the relentless onslaught of update prompts from MS it fraks up their work machine for a day or two while we have to go on-site to fix the issue.

I don't mind Windows 10 as an OS (using it on my bootcamp partition and my gaming PC) but i really hate how hard MS pushes the update. It's like malware levels bad.

The headline made me think of your post right away. It's nice to know the government is right on top of things. I guess these Windows 3.1 users don't have to worry about pesky upgrades.

http://www.computerw...1970s-computers

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 25 May 2016 - 02:25 PM, said:

But I haven't! This laptop is still on Windows 7, since I know I have software on it not compatible with Windows 8 and later.

Well, yes, and it's a poor design decision, but only people who had requested Windows 10 in the past get to see this box, in my experience. So basically, people bitten by this are those who registered to get Win 10 but eventually wanted to cancel or delay the upgrade. So MS is heavy handed, sure, but people should think twice before signing up for some upgrade.

Not sure why you'd want to be an apologist for their deliberate deceit in whatever cases it has occurred but okay. I will not blame users for that. I blame Microsoft and it was not a "design decision" it was a decision to trick users by changing a very well known UI convention that dates back at least to Windows/286. No matter how you look at it, they did something wrong here and personally I don't think there is any good excuse for that.

#15 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2460 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:11 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 25 May 2016 - 03:23 PM, said:

Not sure why you'd want to be an apologist for their deliberate deceit in whatever cases it has occurred but okay.

Be nice, now.

I agree with Camper-Hunter that this isn't as cut-and-dried as the blogger makes out. The dialog box is alerting the user that something already happened, not asking them whether to take action. That's just how it's worded. So closing the dialog with the X causes nothing to change, and that's exactly consistent with UI guidelines. That's also why there's no Cancel button.

The problem is that for an event of this importance there SHOULD have been a Cancel button. It's bad design but the blogger is attributing it to malicious intent rather than allowing that it might have been stupidity.

I personally think it was deliberate, but like I said before MS didn't reverse a fundamental UI behavior the way the blogger insists they did. MS just made it harder to cancel an earlier decision to upgrade. They're still slimy, but its a question of degree.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#16 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:13 PM

Well, I do not mean to not be nice. Based on what I have seen and my own professional background as well I think it was deliberate and it was wrong. I don't want to argue the point any further though. Sometimes it is good to just agree to disagree and this has become one of those times for me. :)

#17 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17420 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:20 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 25 May 2016 - 10:13 PM, said:

agree to disagree

Ha ha that's what one of the bandit's in Borderlands says while you are trying to kill each other!    ... Oh, but YOU wouldn't know that, would you??  You and your filthy gaming habits.  ::mockingly minces about the room with exaggerated hips and flopping both wrists around like Dirty Harry::  "Ohhhhhhhhhh, think I'll not play BL today."
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#18 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 10:55 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 26 May 2016 - 09:20 AM, said:

Ha ha that's what one of the bandit's in Borderlands says while you are trying to kill each other! ... Oh, but YOU wouldn't know that, would you??  You and your filthy gaming habits.  ::mockingly minces about the room with exaggerated hips and flopping both wrists around like Dirty Harry::  "Ohhhhhhhhhh, think I'll not play BL today."

Umm, I installed the Feral port of the first game the other day... does that count? Anytime now!

#19 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2039 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 11:17 AM

It doesn't count you filthy ape.

#20 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17420 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 02:15 PM

What counts is loot and gunz, which you ain't gots none if you don't play.  AND I WANT TO SEE YOU ENJOYING THAT GAME YOUNG MAN!!  Don't give me that face Harry.  I know that face, it's your stuffing-junk-up-someone's-butt-in-your-mind face.  It's not just me Harry, the internet man just above thinks so too.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat