mateo14

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 07:50 AM

Hi

I found this article on one of the websites about games for Linux:

"I love open source! OpenRW joins the ranks of game engines like OpenMW (Morrowind), OpenRA (Command & Conquer, Red Alert) CorsixTH (Theme Hospital), OpenXcom (X-COM: UFO Defense) and many more.

It's early days for the project, but I have high hopes that it will join the ranks of many other playable and open source game engines.

Like other the other open source game engines it will require a legal copy of the games data files to run and it's completely unofficial.

Hopefully more developers interested in having it on Linux will join in on the effort, would be pretty awesome to have it on Linux. I remember when it first came to PC and my little unit couldn't handle it!

https://www.gamingon...t-auto-iii.7248

Find OpenRW on github. It's licensed under the GPL."

https://github.com/danhedron/openrw

Yesterday, programmers decided to create the Mac version of openrw:

https://github.com/d.../openrw/pull/33
https://github.com/d.../openrw/pull/34

Did you try to run this game on a Mac?

#2 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1425 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 02:45 AM

Is this news because the already available Mac OS X port of Grand Theft Auto III for Mac uses a wrapper or something?
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#3 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 22 May 2016 - 03:57 AM

Interesting open source project. However for this to work someone with Mac game porting skill ought to look at this.

#4 mateo14

mateo14

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:22 AM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 22 May 2016 - 02:45 AM, said:

Is this news because the already available Mac OS X port of Grand Theft Auto III for Mac uses a wrapper or something?

Grand Theft Auto III for Mac published on Steam uses Cider, and this project will allow you to run this game without any emulators.

View PostMichalM.Mac, on 22 May 2016 - 03:57 AM, said:

Interesting open source project. However for this to work someone with Mac game porting skill ought to look at this.

Hockenberry and christoph-heiss are programmers who started to work on the Mac version of OpenRW.

I think we also need a help of Mac users that will report all of the issues with the Mac version of OpenRW.

#5 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 22 May 2016 - 03:29 PM

OpenMW *heavy breathing*
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#6 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 23 May 2016 - 12:09 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 22 May 2016 - 03:29 PM, said:

OpenMW *heavy breathing*

Yeah. I have had OpenMW bookmarked for some time now. Once i went nuts taking over the world I never did the quest to save it. I also never did either of the expansions which were supposed to be good too. A friend of mine played them and liked them a lot. I did play a ton of cool mods though. All in all I spent well over 100 hours having a blast without resolving a damn thing. Then I left them to deal with their problems themselves.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#7 mateo14

mateo14

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:02 PM

I want to inform you that now you can find more information about the compilation process on a Mac:

"Mac users should install Xcode and those packages from Homebrew:
brew install boost bullet glm mad sfml"

https://github.com/rwengine/openrw

I use the Steam version of this game, and here is my file openrw.ini which is located in this catalog  /Users/gbudny/Library/Preferences/OpenRW/:

[game]
path=/Users/gbudny/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/grand theft auto 3/Grand Theft Auto 3.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Rockstar Games/GTAIII    ; Game data path

[input]
invert_y=0 ; Invert camera Y

#8 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 23 May 2016 - 05:57 PM

GTA III, GTA VC, GTA SA: Windows - played about 10 hours or so of GTA III, messed around in VC and SA briefly... got a PS2
GTA III, GTA VC, GTA SA: PS2 - played various stuff on PS2 and got an iMac before playing still in shrink-wrap box set of GTA (all three games)
GTA III, GTA VC, GTA SA: OS X - bought them all again for OS X with best of intentions, learned what Cider was, never installed them
GTA III, GTA VC, GTA SA: iOS - got them dirt cheap on sale the other day for my new 9.7" iPad Pro - I'm hoping 4th time is the charm

I can't bring myself to setup a development, well build environment to build a work in progress source port for these as cool as it is but that is because of the above sorry history of repeated failures on my part. If I'd had any sense I'd have stopped with the PS2 and played them there as God and Rockstar intended for them to be played. I may yet depending on what they are like on the iPad. Or, I might die of old age first. I am hoping for the former though.

At least GFWL caused me to just abandon ship on GTA IV along with the Windows requirement to play it. Please don't tell me how to get around that. I know. I just refuse to do it.

Once again, if I had any sense I would simply buy a current generation console along with a copy of GTA V and forget any of this ever happened. I think I might need to just give up on these games I meant to play and start living in the present. It is going to kinda suck if I find myself in a nursing home bed playing Morrowind on an iPad while the rest of the world is playing stunning games in 4k or better on huge amazing televisions, PCs, etc. because I keep playing yesteryear's games and as such will never catch up to what is new and incredible to play.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#9 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 12:22 PM

I actually played through all 3 of the GTA III era games with the Cider releases on my Mac a few years back and had no real issues, I remember a couple of crashes with Windows errors but reading up it seemed they happened on the PC as well so weren't down to the way they were "ported".

They were fun and exploring the open world along with the music on the radio stations was fun itself sometimes. Most of the missions were fun but now and then you would get stuck and frustrated which was a problem if it was part of the main story and you can't skip it. I remember trying to pull off some of the plane based mission was a problem for me.

A lot was down to the controls I'd guess as I was using mouse and keyboard and no doubt a game pad was expected really. The on screen controls on iOS would make things even harder...

It would be great to one day get a modern version of GTA as the open world must be pretty impressive with modern graphics, physics and game engines.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, R9 280X 3GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.6

#10 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8076 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 24 May 2016 - 12:47 PM

View Postmattw, on 24 May 2016 - 12:22 PM, said:

It would be great to one day get a modern version of GTA as the open world must be pretty impressive with modern graphics, physics and game engines.
The world in GTA V is amazing. I don't really care about the story (and actually probably haven't played it more than one hour), but I've spent a couple of hours in GTA Online (in solo mode) just marvelling at the scenery.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#11 mateo14

mateo14

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:14 AM

I want to inform you that Hockenberry successfully run Openrw on Mac

"Thanks to @christoph-heiss it works on macOS too. I compiled his branch https://github.com/c...dl2-for-pulling and with minor modifications regarding OpenAL support (AL/al.h -> OpenAL/al.h) it worked out of the box. I tested only for a few minutes."

https://cloud.github...98fef902599.png