4 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 19 May 2016 - 11:15 AM

The Secret History of Mac Gaming book project has made me nostalgic, so I tried to run my old copy of Return to Dark Castle. Sadly, it craps out on launch.

What I have is version 1.2. They later released an editor for it so I know that there are later releases. And in fact a (presumably current) version is on the Apple Store.

I emailed Super happy Fun Fun last weekend and asked for help, so far no reply from them. Does anyone know if there's a later version I can download from somewhere? I have my old serial code so I should be able to register it.

Failing that, does anyone know if the version in the Apple Store runs on El Capitan?
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#2 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:06 PM

I have Beyond Dark Castle, right here in a box beside me.  I played the hell out of that thing and finally got burned out on it.  Good times in a distant past.  Whenever I got P.O.ed at Duncan I'd take him down into the dungeons and make him crawl through a sewer pipe, once there I'd make him try to stand up but when he did, he bonked his head on the top of the pipe with a hollow coconut sound then go into his goofy "seeing stars dizzy" animation. Rinse wash repeat until he had used up all his health.  Suffer and die you SOB!  On Christmas day there would be Christmas decorations in the main area.  Cool.

Can't help you though.  You just got my nostalgia going is all.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#3 mossy_11

mossy_11

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:03 PM

Did you buy it through MacGameStore originally? I just redownloaded through my account there and got version 1.4, which works in Yosemite (and probably El Capitan).

You can also play the original Dark Castle (sans audio, unfortunately) in your browser at https://jamesfriend....lus-darkcastle/
Author of The Secret History of Mac Gaming - https://unbound.co.uk/books/macgaming - publishing (northern hemisphere) Spring 2018

#4 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 05:24 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, but I bought it directly from the publisher. The download link I have from esellerate always gives me the same version.

Good news: double-checking the email I sent, it was addressed to @shff.com.com, not @shff.com. Why I didn't get a bounce is beyond me. I'll try contacting them again (or from their point of view, for the first time.)

#5 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:56 AM

No reply from SHFF yet, but poking through the forums I found a message from someone asking how to get the level editor working with version 1.2. They got this reply:

Previous versions of Return to Dark Castle was owned by Super Happy Fun
Fun and is incompatible with the level editor. The Mac App Store version
is Merge Interactive's version and supports the free level editor.

So safe to say there is no patch, nor a copy of 1.4 that I can register with my old serial number. I'd have to buy 1.4 from the Mac App Store to play it again.

Easy come, easy go. Just wish they'd been up-front about this on their support page. They have a link to the (1.4-only) level editor so a word of explanation for previous buyers might have been in order.