Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:38 AM

View PostIrishman, on 18 May 2016 - 07:29 AM, said:

Now that Carmack lost the X-Prize, it  looks like he's licking his wounds, putting Armadillo Aerospace into hibernation.http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/03/john-carmack-says-armadillo-aerospace-is-in-hibernation/
He's working at Oculus VR since he left id in 2013.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#22 Irishman

Irishman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 08:42 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 18 May 2016 - 07:38 AM, said:

He's working at Oculus VR since he left id in 2013.

Yeah, but, what are we gonna see out of that? FarmVille VR? Is he doing the programming for the games that ship with the Oculus Rift?
COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!

#23 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 18 May 2016 - 08:52 AM

View PostIrishman, on 18 May 2016 - 08:42 AM, said:

Yeah, but, what are we gonna see out of that? FarmVille VR? Is he doing the programming for the games that ship with the Oculus Rift?
He's working as there as CTO (i.e. supervising the development of the hard– and software), not as game developer.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#24 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:02 PM

I feel sorry for him being poached by them now that Luckey and Zuckerberg have been showing their true colors with the whole VR DRM and locked down exclusive experiences and shafting Kickstarter backers so they could fill retailer orders first despite earlier promises and all that kind of crap.

Palmer Luckey pretty much spent all of Oculus' early goodwill with enthusiasts and sent them HTC's and Valve's way.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#25 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:09 PM

shafting kickstarter backers for retail is the hot thing to do. Ouya did it. Relic Knights did it. DON'T YOU WANT THEM TO HANG WITH THE COOL KIDS FROST
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#26 Irishman

Irishman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:10 AM

View PostFrost, on 18 May 2016 - 07:02 PM, said:

I feel sorry for him being poached by them now that Luckey and Zuckerberg have been showing their true colors with the whole VR DRM and locked down exclusive experiences and shafting Kickstarter backers so they could fill retailer orders first despite earlier promises and all that kind of crap.

Palmer Luckey pretty much spent all of Oculus' early goodwill with enthusiasts and sent them HTC's and Valve's way.

I don't know that Oculus did it. I know that Leo Laporte got his (he didn't think he would, because he'd heard of other early supporters not getting theirs, so he ordered a second one).  Now he has two.
COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!

#27 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:41 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 18 May 2016 - 07:09 PM, said:

shafting kickstarter backers for retail is the hot thing to do. Ouya did it. Relic Knights did it. DON'T YOU WANT THEM TO HANG WITH THE COOL KIDS FROST

This doesn't bother me that much (likely due to long-standing contracts they had to fulfil) but this new news of DRM that makes non-Rift headsets able to play Occulus Home gamespisses me off.

Anyway, reason 4305304 to wait a few years for the market to settle and pick up a second generation headset.

#28 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 05:58 PM

I'd  love to play a FPS in VR.  I think "mouse look" with your head centering the sites and the direction you walk, with a controller to button mash on would be pretty damn awesome.  The down side of this is that Monster Closets will enjoy a golden age.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat