27 replies to this topic

#1 Irishman

Irishman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 02:56 PM

Now that early pre-streaming of early buyers of the new Doom game is revealing a game that makes you want to replay Doom, what are some good OS X-compatible Doom games available for download?

(Other than the obvious Doom 3 on the MAS).

Brian
COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!

#2 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 11 May 2016 - 06:04 PM

Doom 2 via Doom Legacy was a great play for me.  I don't know if it works anymore.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#3 Irishman

Irishman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 06:59 PM

Battle Cat,

Do you recall where you found the Doom 2 WAD files?
COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!

#4 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:04 PM

Ah.  No I used my copy of Doom 2 I believe to supply that.  

Anyone, is that old game public domain now like Marathon?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#5 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1371 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:41 PM

Have not done this, but looks like you can buy it on GoG.

#6 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 12 May 2016 - 12:38 AM

View PostCougar, on 11 May 2016 - 08:41 PM, said:

Have not done this, but looks like you can buy it on GoG.
This. Or alternatively Steam. Probably the best modernised engine to play Doom and its sequels and spinoffs is the Doomsday engine.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#7 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 06:06 AM

Same here - it's a while since I last played but Doomsday engine was great with support for loads of WAD files and modern options.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, RX580 8GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.13.1

#8 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 09:06 AM

Another vote for Doomsday, I just couldn't remember it originally.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#9 Irishman

Irishman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:15 PM

Some years ago, I recall someone saying that Bethesda hates Apple. Hates Apple with the white hot passion of a thousand suns. Hates Apple so much that they will never bring a Bethesda game to OS X (and so I should give up my hope against hope that OS X will see a version of Doom 2016). This certainly gets noticed on Reddit. https://www.reddit.c..._your_games_on/  And, yes, I know that ESO exists, but's technically not a Bethesda game, it's a Zenimax game https://forums.elder...985/why-now-mac

Now, I know it's not the newest Doom hotness, but, maybe it's a sign that this white hot passion of hatred is subsuming. I present to you, ladies and genitals, Fallout Shelter, for iOS: http://www.geek.com/...thesda-1625509/

Thoughts?

#10 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:40 PM

View PostIrishman, on 16 May 2016 - 01:15 PM, said:

Now, I know it's not the newest Doom hotness, but, maybe it's a sign that this white hot passion of hatred is subsuming. I present to you, ladies and genitals, Fallout Shelter, for iOS: http://www.geek.com/...thesda-1625509/

Thoughts?

Don't think it's indicative of anything. In the mobile world, if you want to make money, you do iOS, or iOS and Android.

Not sure how much I believe that Bethesda "hates" Apple. If they really hated Apple they'd port their games to OpenGL and just release SteamOS versions. It may be more likely that their games made with stone knives and bearskins would be a nightmare to port.

#11 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1577 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:49 PM

I never read any of the stuff about supposed hatred for Apple or whatnot myself. I just assume when anything doesn't make it to OS X the company involved simply doesn't view the venture as profitable enough to bother with when they have bigger fish to fry and it probably goes no deeper than that. For a lot of games the outlook in terms of revenue is impacted in no small part I am sure by how demanding various games are versus the available hardware running OS X which of course further cuts down the number of potential customers in an already small slice of the total gaming market.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#12 Irishman

Irishman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:52 PM

Well, consider a few things: Prior to their acquisition by Bethesda, id gave the franchise rights to MachineGames for the Wolfenstein property. Since acquired by Zenimax Media (parent company of Bethesda, and all kinda related in a small DNA pool kinda way), Wolfenstein: The New Order was to be released for PS3, PS4, XB360, XBoxone, and Windows PC. This Wolfenstein game was not released for OS X, despite the id Tech5 engine having already been ported and Rage released for OS X. John Carmack seemed to like developing for Mac, something he lost control of when he left id.

Moreover, the new Doom 2016 game will be the first major Doom title not released for the Mac OS. And, id Tech6 may be the first major id engine to not be released for Mac OS. The difference? The fact that Carmack then helmed id, whereas now, he doesn't. Bethesda acquired id, therefore Bethesda's priorities become id's priorities.

#13 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 07:25 PM

Yeah, the only reason we got Mac ports of those games was Carmack. He likes Apple; he demoed id Tech5 at WWDC.

#14 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:45 AM

View PostCougar, on 16 May 2016 - 07:25 PM, said:

Yeah, the only reason we got Mac ports of those games was Carmack. He likes Apple; he demoed id Tech5 at WWDC.
Plus id games were developed in a way porting to other platforms was not that difficult <- C/C++ source, usage of open source libraries OpenGL/OpenAL and not using problematic 3rd party middleware. I am not sure if this practise is still true for id under Bethesda.

#15 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:00 AM

View PostCougar, on 16 May 2016 - 05:40 PM, said:

Not sure how much I believe that Bethesda "hates" Apple. If they really hated Apple they'd port their games to OpenGL and just release SteamOS versions. It may be more likely that their games made with stone knives and bearskins would be a nightmare to port.
One of the first things Bethesda killed off when acquiring id was even the small level of Linux support id provided. Admittedly, that was before SteamOS.

Carmack wasn't alone. His support of OS X came mostly from being a massive OpenGL fanboy. There were at least one or two other Mac evangelists among the old id crew, but that's the problem: that was the old id crew. There is no one left of them.

View PostMichalM.Mac, on 17 May 2016 - 02:45 AM, said:

Plus id games were developed in a way porting to other platforms was not that difficult <- C/C++ source, usage of open source libraries OpenGL/OpenAL and not using problematic 3rd party middleware. I am not sure if this practise is still true for id under Bethesda.
idTech 6 still runs on OpenGL (and supports Vulkan).

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#16 Irishman

Irishman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 11:24 AM

To be fair, the NEW id crew have talent, and have made a hell of a game (Doom 2016).

#17 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:23 PM

They did indeed. Just started playing New Doom (2016) and it's a bit of a throwback to what FPSes used to be. Makes this old angry dad weep for joy.
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#18 Spike

Spike

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:56 PM

I remember Graeme Devine of Id being a big supporter and did a lot of work on Mac versions.

#19 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6094 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 18 May 2016 - 06:49 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 17 May 2016 - 06:00 AM, said:

Carmack wasn't alone. His support of OS X came mostly from being a massive OpenGL fanboy. There were at least one or two other Mac evangelists among the old id crew, but that's the problem: that was the old id crew. There is no one left of them.

Yeah, I believe the biggest Mac guy over at id was Graeme Devine. IIRC he was the one responsible for Quake 3 on the Mac being so well made it at one point ran better than a similarly-specced PC counterpart due to him streamlining the popsnizzle out of it just because he could.

All those old id alumns are gone now though, including Carmack himself.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#20 Irishman

Irishman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:29 AM

Now that Carmack lost the X-Prize, it  looks like he's licking his wounds, putting Armadillo Aerospace into hibernation.  http://www.engadget....in-hibernation/