145 replies to this topic

#81 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2635 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:31 PM

I couldn't resist searching through the PDF for mention of my old shareware. Nope! But I forgive Richard. :-)

I did feel a pang though when I saw Diamonds 3D WAS in the book. An old jealousy there: my 3D break-out game was out around the same time. Diamonds did better even though it's use of 3D was more simplistic. I thought I was over this jealousy but apparently not. :rolleyes:  

BUT: skimming the text it turns out that Diamonds 3D was by Matt "Escape Velocity" Burch! I had no idea! It's like I got dunked on by Michael Jordan. How can I stay mad about that?!

So I read just one paragraph and already learned something cool. I'm putting the eBook away now and will wait patiently for the hardback. Looking forward to it!
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#82 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 11:30 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 02 March 2018 - 01:31 PM, said:

BUT: skimming the text it turns out that Diamonds 3D was by Matt "Escape Velocity" Burch! I had no idea! It's like I got dunked on by Michael Jordan. How can I stay mad about that?!

I love your attitude.  I quoted it to give it a little more life.  Again, you've made my day.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#83 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8308 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 07 March 2018 - 06:55 AM

I got mine.

Posted Image

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#84 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 11:08 AM

Holy gobsmack, look at the pixel size on that book compared to a modern desktop image!  What kind of card do you have in that book?  A library card?

Attached File  this-brings-bag-memories-boomerang-with-ram-memory-modules-attached.jpg   55.61K   19 downloads
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#85 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2635 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:59 PM

Now that the book is out it's not a secret anymore. So the second edition will just be called "The History of Mac Gaming".
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.11.x/2008 MacPro 3,1 Xeon 2 x 2.8GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

#86 mossy_11

mossy_11

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:51 PM

Heh, nice one!

If I end up doing a follow-up book (I'm thinking about it but want to see how this one goes before I gauge interest) I've been thinking I might call it something like "The (Even More) Secret History of Mac Gaming".

Sidenote: If anyone happens to read this who missed out on the crowdfunding campaigns, you can get the trade edition (out March 22) from Amazon UK and various other online stores. It'll also be in actual brick-and-mortar bookstores in the UK, and we're hoping eventually also the US and elsewhere around the world.
Author of The Secret History of Mac Gaming - https://secrethistoryofmacgaming.com/ - out March 22 2018 in the UK and online

#87 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1547 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:48 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 07 March 2018 - 06:55 AM, said:

I got mine.

Oh gosh it's so pretty.

Not fair. Mine still hasn't left England. At least the tracking seems to be progressing now.

#88 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2635 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 07:51 AM

View Postmossy_11, on 26 February 2018 - 07:15 PM, said:

The bad news for US folks is that it could be a while — this is only one isolated data point, to be sure, but it took Craig Fryar's copies a month or so to reach him.

I received mine yesterday, and I live in the eastern US. So it took a few weeks, but not a whole month.

I read the preface last night and it is a wonderful summing up of what the Mac brought to the world. Richard Moss has a way with words-- with just a couple sentences he reminded me how I felt when I saw MacPaint and MacWrite for the first time and started to glimpse the possibilities of the new platform. I'd forgotten the excitement but somehow he brought it back to me.

FYI Richard has unveiled a new promotional website for the book: https://secrethistor....com   It's got a sweet Mac Classic theme.
www.mindthecube.com

#89 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1547 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 12:35 PM

This is the worst. Mine has been stuck in a USPS facility one town over for two days.

Edit: lol, now it says ďIn transit to next facility.Ē That has to be the vaguest tracking Iíve ever seen. Doesnít say what or where. Gotta love USPS.

#90 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1547 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:39 AM

In three days my book has traveled from the regional facility in the town above me to the one below me. This is some sick joke.

#91 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2635 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 01:02 PM

View PostCougar, on 17 March 2018 - 07:39 AM, said:

In three days my book has traveled from the regional facility in the town above me to the one below me. This is some sick joke.

Oh dear. You must have ordered the SUPER secret edition.
www.mindthecube.com

#92 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 01:25 PM

Agreed, and not only that, it obviously knows it's being followed.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#93 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8308 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 17 March 2018 - 01:59 PM

View PostCougar, on 17 March 2018 - 07:39 AM, said:

Maybe they are trying to narrow down the actual delivery location by marking the outer limits of the search area first and then slowing moving inwards?

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#94 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1547 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:35 PM

Woohoo! It came, and it's absolutely gorgeous. How apt that the two most beautiful books I own are Mac gaming-related (the other one is the Making of Riven book, From Myst to Riven).

Richard, what does the 142 mean? I thought they were numbered, but Janichsan's is the same, so...

Since Janichsan already provided the front, here's the back, which is just as beautiful.

Posted Image

And for the lols, the delivery path:

Posted Image

#95 mossy_11

mossy_11

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 08:59 PM

What a route! Maybe the book wanted to go sightseeing first.

The number on the spine is the number of books Unbound has published. This is their 142nd book (and already one of their most successful — though quite a long way yet from the top of the pile, so far as I can tell).
Author of The Secret History of Mac Gaming - https://secrethistoryofmacgaming.com/ - out March 22 2018 in the UK and online

#96 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3980 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:32 AM

Random thing: If Kobo comes out with an eReader with USB-C within the next 12 months, I'll snatch one up just to read this book, so I don't have to read it on my iPad.

Really looking forward to dive into the great memories of when I was young and Mac gaming was my main thing.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#97 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1547 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 07:51 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 18 March 2018 - 03:32 AM, said:

Random thing: If Kobo comes out with an eReader with USB-C within the next 12 months, I'll snatch one up just to read this book, so I don't have to read it on my iPad.

Really looking forward to dive into the great memories of when I was young and Mac gaming was my main thing.

I would just read it on your iPad. The layout is too beautiful for an ereader. Plus, there are color pictures.

#98 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Uberspewer

• IMG Writers
  • 2635 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 02:44 PM

I'm reading it on my iPad just to save wear and tear on the book. Just finished chapter 5.
www.mindthecube.com

#99 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1547 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 02:58 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 18 March 2018 - 02:44 PM, said:

I'm reading it on my iPad just to save wear and tear on the book.

IMO this is like buying expensive china and then letting it gather dust in a glass case. Whatís the point of owning it if I canít enjoy it?

#100 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1547 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 06:31 PM

This is hilarious:

GATO came out for the Mac to rapturous reception. One of its most popular features was the sound it played when firing depth charges, which actually came from a bug in the code. "It turned out it was playing some random memory as the sound, but it sounded good, so we just left it that way," Hill explains. (67)

I became very curious to know what that sounded like. I found this but I can't tell what's going on, and I only heard unremarkable beeps.