72 replies to this topic

#41 mossy_11

mossy_11

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 09:52 PM

I finally got that audio documentary/podcast thing about the Miller brothers and The Manhole finished.
http://ludiphilia.ne...t/6-the-manhole

Hopefully this will spur some new pledges, but even if it doesn't I feel like it's a great standalone tribute to that wonderful adventure. It's still — nearly 30 years later! — the closest games and interactive entertainment in general have come to Alice in Wonderland.
Author of The Secret History of Mac Gaming - https://unbound.co.uk/books/macgaming - publishing (northern hemisphere) Spring 2018

#42 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 31 May 2016 - 03:51 AM

Have you tried to contact hardcore Mac users from back then? Various Mac User Groups, collectors, etc.?

#43 mossy_11

mossy_11

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 09:25 PM

I've been gradually working my way through all the ones I know of. It's a slow process, but seems to be helping.

We're in a funding spike right now. I guess my Manhole podcast helped draw some attention, and now the book is on Hacker News.

I've been pondering doing some Twitch streaming of old Mac games (I don't have a capture card for any of my old Macs, so this would probably be with an emulator), perhaps with special guests from the era joining in over Skype if they're up for it. Would this be of interest?
Author of The Secret History of Mac Gaming - https://unbound.co.uk/books/macgaming - publishing (northern hemisphere) Spring 2018

#44 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 02 June 2016 - 05:09 AM

It sounds great, but while I can easily make time for a podcast during my commute (your Manhole podcast is coming up on my rotation soon!) I almost never watch something lengthy on my computer. And of course it would have to be something I could watch at my leisure, I probably wouldn't be able to watch an event "live".

But that's just me obviously.  And events like this can lead to good press, even if not everyone who hears about it attends.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#45 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1352 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 02 June 2016 - 10:58 AM

If you could get some of the developers themselves and model it like Double Fine's excellent Devs Play series, that could be great.

#46 mossy_11

mossy_11

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:37 PM

That's right along the lines of what I was thinking — like, I play the game and chat to the creator (or one of the creators) about it (they'd be sharing my screen over Skype or Hangouts and I'd try to mix the audio from that call with the audio from the game). And potentially also during the discussion jump into other people's games — things that influenced said creator — and get their take on those.

I'll start to feel it out with a few former Mac game devs and see if they're up for it.

#47 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 08:58 PM

I happened to be emailing Cliff Johnson to change my email address, and it occurred to me that he could plug the book to his newsletter subscribers-- seems like his audience would be a good fit. Anyway I suggested it to him, because sometimes I am compelled to meddle.

Glad to see the book is up to 42% this evening; good progress!

#48 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 05 June 2016 - 06:10 PM

Pledged! Had this book on my radar for while, but finally got around to supporting this. Very interested in the development :)
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#49 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:24 PM

Listened to the podcast about The Manhole-  fun stuff. Perfect illustration of the theme of the book-- early Mac tech inspires developers (in this case Cyan) to create something groundbreaking yet often overlooked.

#50 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 08:48 AM

This video would fit right in with the theme of this book. And I remember playing Airborne! to death On my Macintosh Plus back in the day. Great stuff!

https://www.youtube....ist=WL&index=22

This guy has also made a few other videos like this in the past, most notably the original MacVenture games.

-PN
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.12.3
iPad Air 2 64GB WiFi/iPhone 6+ 64GB

#51 mossy_11

mossy_11

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:18 PM

That killgruz guy pledged recently. And he put me in touch with Roy Harvey, who made Grid Wars — which likely inspired Shufflepuck Café (I'll find out when I talk to Christopher Gross).

#52 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:02 AM

View Postmossy_11, on 09 June 2016 - 07:18 PM, said:

That killgruz guy pledged recently. And he put me in touch with Roy Harvey, who made Grid Wars — which likely inspired Shufflepuck Café (I'll find out when I talk to Christopher Gross).

Awesome! Looking forward to it!
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.12.3
iPad Air 2 64GB WiFi/iPhone 6+ 64GB

#53 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 08:50 PM

It's the final push, now. Backers have shot up recently- its encouraging but there isn't much time left. I know most of the people reading this thread pledged already, but if anyone was on the fence, now is the time!

#54 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1352 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 19 July 2016 - 01:02 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 18 July 2016 - 08:50 PM, said:

It's the final push, now. Backers have shot up recently- its encouraging but there isn't much time left. I know most of the people reading this thread pledged already, but if anyone was on the fence, now is the time!

Yep, Jim Dalrymple and John Gruber both posted about it, so it should see a nice little push in the next few days. Hope it's enough.

#55 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:51 PM

Holy cow- it went from 60% to 84% in one day!

I calculate we've ~5 days left. I'm VERY hopeful now.

#56 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3778 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 20 July 2016 - 01:43 AM

It has risen 2% in the last 15 minutes.. O_o Looks like we will get there, yay!

Unfortunate that shipping is 17£ alone for me, plus import taxes.. So I will skip out on the hardcover book. :(
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#57 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 20 July 2016 - 02:11 PM

96% now. 29 pleges needed. This smells good!

#58 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:29 PM

Aaaand... Boom! goes the dynamite. The fat lady has sung. Elvis has left the building. Etc.

I agree about the shipping cost being high, but what can you do. For once in my life I wanted a print book and didn't want to risk it not getting made.  Possibly now that it's going to be published you'll one day be able to order a copy for cheaper-- I see at least one other Unbound-funded title now for sale on Amazon. I guess it might get picked up for wider distribution depending on how the initial print run sells.

#59 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 21 July 2016 - 03:36 PM

YES!!! I did not except epic finish like this. I am happy I was wrong.

#60 mossy_11

mossy_11

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 12:12 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 20 July 2016 - 09:29 PM, said:

Aaaand... Boom! goes the dynamite. The fat lady has sung. Elvis has left the building. Etc.

I agree about the shipping cost being high, but what can you do. For once in my life I wanted a print book and didn't want to risk it not getting made.  Possibly now that it's going to be published you'll one day be able to order a copy for cheaper-- I see at least one other Unbound-funded title now for sale on Amazon. I guess it might get picked up for wider distribution depending on how the initial print run sells.

It's my understanding that the "special edition" will only be available through Unbound, but a less fancy edition with the same content on lower-quality paper and stuff will end up getting wider distribution. They have a deal with Penguin Random House for trade publication in the UK. It should end up on Amazon at some point.

View PostMichalM.Mac, on 21 July 2016 - 03:36 PM, said:

YES!!! I did not except epic finish like this. I am happy I was wrong.

Likewise. I was getting pretty far along with my thoughts about Plan B — how to get this thing published without Unbound's help. Was sure we weren't going to make it. Amazed that the community got so behind it and pushed it from 50% to 102% in three days.

Now that we're funded, the campaign will continue beyond the planned July 25/26 end date. Rewards will likely remain available until we enter production, at which point only the book itself will be available to order. (We can't enter production until I finish the manuscript, which should be in a month or two.)

Two bits of good news from Unbound: 1) we can do a couple of stretch goals. I'm thinking extra content — say, an extra chapter plus some more breathing room to fit in more images and stories elsewhere. 2) at some point soon they will send out an email to all backers giving them the opportunity to increase their pledge for the higher-value rewards. That will make changing reward level much easier.