DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 24 April 2016 - 01:44 PM

My trusty and beloved Logitech Performance Mouse MX has succumbed to 4 years of intense daily use. R.I.P.

So, I am now using a magical and only slightly mighty Magic Mouse that came with this iMac. I actually kind of like the thing for swiping but it is no good for gaming. What I really need is a trackpad for stuff and a wired mouse for gaming but which mouse? That's the question.

I am thinking a gaming mouse might be worthwhile but I am put off by tons of buttons I will screw up and hit when I don't mean to because I have fumble fingers. Is that much of an issue with them? I've never had one so maybe I am worrying about something I don't really need to.

So, any suggestions? Something I can expect to work well in OS X as well as Windows is highly preferred if a gaming mouse is what I wind up with.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#2 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 02:08 PM

I know it's not a gaming mouse but I'd just go for the new MX Master if like my you got on well with the Performance MX. Although I've nearly worn the logo of the top mine's still going strong so far.

For one thing the battery life and ability to use it whilst charging with the mini usb cable are really good and it is better now there is no charging stand as on the earlier models where you could not line up the charging contacts.

The dark field sensor was a huge revolutionary improvement over prior optical mice so the desk or surface was never an issue anymore in my experience. My desk has a lot grain pattern in the wood so previous mice could occasionally jump.

Folks don't also consider it a "gaming" mouse but with my Performance MX I've never felt any kind of issue with any games and like you perhaps 99% of the time I just need left, right and a scroll wheel. The extras buttons I just use once in a while for mission control etc.

I don't think I'd want a wired mouse anymore either when these wireless ones work so well.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, R9 280X 3GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.6

#3 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17419 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 24 April 2016 - 04:10 PM

Condolences for you having to use that awful little mouse.  I love my Logitech G5!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#4 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6089 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 24 April 2016 - 05:39 PM

• Don't buy Razer these days if you have any desire for reliability.
  • If you liked your Logitech setup, have a good look at their current gaming mouse line-up. They've got a lot of really solid options.
My current vote goes to the Proteus Spectrum if you're okay with wired only operation. It's a very comfortable mouse with good button arrangement and superb tracking. If you want to go wireless, I'm currently using and love the G700s. Battery lasts long enough for a full day of use, it's every bit as responsive and accurate as wired, and with a quick plug-in of the USB cable on the front of the mouse, it turns into a wired mouse and charges simultaneously.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#5 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:32 AM

View PostFrost, on 24 April 2016 - 05:39 PM, said:

• Don't buy Razer these days if you have any desire for reliability.

• If you liked your Logitech setup, have a good look at their current gaming mouse line-up. They've got a lot of really solid options.
My current vote goes to the Proteus Spectrum if you're okay with wired only operation. It's a very comfortable mouse with good button arrangement and superb tracking. If you want to go wireless, I'm currently using and love the G700s. Battery lasts long enough for a full day of use, it's every bit as responsive and accurate as wired, and with a quick plug-in of the USB cable on the front of the mouse, it turns into a wired mouse and charges simultaneously.

If you turn down the DPI and/or polling rate of the G700S does it last longer?
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#6 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 08:22 AM

1. Agreed re: Razer quality.

2. I really like my SteelSeries Rival. Excellent Win/Mac software. And...pretty lights.
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#7 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:34 AM

Four years is quite low for a mouse life expectancy (at least for the kind not eaten by the Battle Cat because of these plastic parts he has trouble digesting).

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 24 April 2016 - 01:44 PM, said:

I am thinking a gaming mouse might be worthwhile but I am put off by tons of buttons I will screw up and hit when I don't mean to because I have fumble fingers.
What's not to like in a 19 buttons mouse (Razer Naga)? ;) A few variants available, I've got the left handed one. My need is opposite of yours, though, since I'm hemiplegic I only have one good hand suitable for computer use, so the myriad buttons allow me to almost never have to switch from mouse to keyboard while playing.

More suited to your need with its seven buttons, I see Razer has reissued the Diamondback. I've used the 2004 version for years, still have it actually, it was a very good and reliable mouse.

Though Frost and Atticus may have a point with regards to reliability for recent Razer products, since I had to have the Naga replaced because of buttons and tracking issues (fortunately still under warranty). YMMV.

I highly recommend some kind of quality mousepad with any of these mice to benefit from their full potential, if you don't already have one. (I prefer hard mouse pads and use a SteelSeries 4HD, not sure it's still produced though, since I now only cloth mousepads on SteelSeries' site, what a shame).

#8 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:47 AM

Thats a shame if Razer is going downhill... the DeathAdder was the only mouse after many I finally settled on for my game rig. It only has two extra humb buttons, which are not easily bumped into by accident, and come in handy. I use one for PTT, and then the other usually for things like "Kick" or "Melee" lol ;)

The biggest factor for me was 'lift zone'. I personally hate optic mice for the sheer fact that they still register movement when you are not touching anything. Coming from a ball-mouse, the tactile 'im off the pad' was essential to knowing nothing would move if I moved the mouse. That said, the DeathAdder has a very tight lift zone, so basically after you stop feeling mouse pad, you know its not going to fling your view as you move the mouse to a new mousepad location.

I don't know if any of the logitech have a lift zone that is no longer half a fraken inch off the pad like the old days. Maybe reviews on the subject will help.

As for a new mouse of "TODAY", well shoot... if razer is dead in the water, then I don't know what to suggest.

Finding a mouse that is right for YOU is the hard part, as we can give all our personal opinions and feedback... but it all boils down to what your hand is happy with, and what you mentally jive on to be effective in what you do.

So, take advantage of 'return policies' and just start trying out mice.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#9 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 25 April 2016 - 03:30 PM

I have one of them diablo III mice I got on clearance. It is ok. I have a performance MX I keep in my bag. Hands down one of the best mice I've ever used. I'd probably just get another one since ya liked it. And if you want a Magic Trackpad get one of them too. Plus the MX being wireless, you can just turn it off and tuck it in a drawer when you're not using it instead of unplugging or moving a wired mouse around.

I believe this is the spiritual successor to the Performance MX

http://www.logitech....x-master?crid=7

But I think you can still get the Performance MX pretty readily. no?
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#10 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6089 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:19 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 25 April 2016 - 07:32 AM, said:

If you turn down the DPI and/or polling rate of the G700S does it last longer?

Probably, but I run it at 1800 DPI and the default polling rate (I forget what it is, but it's pretty fast) and it's enough for a marathon 10 hour session without the battery running out. If you're forgetful you might find yourself with a dead battery a lot, but if you just make a habit of leaving the USB plug hanging out near your mousepad and take the two seconds to plug the mouse in when you're done for the day, the battery never dies. Doing that I haven't had the battery run out on me in two years now.

They've got a new wireless laser mouse that has much better battery life, but fewer buttons... and I use most of the G700s' buttons, so I haven't really considered it.

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 24 April 2016 - 04:10 PM, said:

Condolences for you having to use that awful little mouse.  I love my Logitech G5!

Hell yeah! I LOVE the form factor of that mouse, it's probably my favorite. I have the newer version of the G5, the G500s, and use it with my PowerMac. My hands are on the larger side, and that's one of the few that rests comfortably all the way in my palm instead of me using a claw grip like I usually do.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#11 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17419 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:21 PM

I just looked at the G500.  If it's still around it will be my next mouse.  Geez though, this G5 still performs flawlessly after a decade.  Tracks perfectly, pads in great shape... It could still be awhile.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#12 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6089 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:37 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 25 April 2016 - 06:21 PM, said:

I just looked at the G500.  If it's still around it will be my next mouse.  Geez though, this G5 still performs flawlessly after a decade.  Tracks perfectly, pads in great shape... It could still be awhile.

They discontinued it not too long ago, actually. Which is sad because that's such a good mouse, and the G500s is every bit as solid as previous versions, but with a higher grade laser. It was still on sale recently enough that it can still be had new at a discount over MSRP from third parties on Amazon. If you want to bump up to the latest revision of your mouse, I'd see about doing it sooner rather than later before new stock runs out and prices go up. Just a tip!

Eric5h5:

#13 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:41 PM

Thanks very much for all the feedback from each of you. I really appreciate it. The point is well taken about how ultimately nobody can really advise me on the best fit for me personally but this feedback on good ones you guys gave me gives me an excellent selection to look over. So I'll spend some time checking them out.

I could not resist immediately going to look at the latest, greatest Performance MX model and I like the updated look while they maintained that wonderful form factor that fits my hand so nicely. Regarding the four year lifespan of the one I had, I think that's just a matter of heavy use. It was far and away the finest mouse I've ever had the pleasure of using. I will still look at the other suggestions though to see if any catch my eye. It would be interesting to see what it is like to use a mouse that is designed for gaming and see how I like it.

As for the trackpad, I am going to get Apple's new version of that. I have found using the iPad that I really like using touch to navigate. It feels very natural and comfortable to me. I like using gestures that do cool things. There's a definite wow factor in it for me being new to it which makes it fun. I think there is something to be said for maintaining some consistency in the way I interact with the Mac, iPad and iPhone as well. For gaming though, naturally one needs a decent mouse and I may find other times when for some reason I will prefer it on the Mac. It's nice to keep one's options open.

#14 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6089 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:34 PM

If you're getting an external trackpad, yeah, definitely get Apple's version. Both Microsoft's and Logitech's IMO fall short of Apple's in what I can only call "finger accuracy feel."

Eric5h5:

#15 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:50 PM

Aye, finger accuracy feel is very important but then I knew this before computers existed. I'll leave how to your imaginations although I suspect it's common knowledge isn't it?

#16 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 01:15 AM

View PostFrost, on 25 April 2016 - 05:19 PM, said:

Hell yeah! I LOVE the form factor of that mouse, it's probably my favorite. I have the newer version of the G5, the G500s, and use it with my PowerMac. My hands are on the larger side, and that's one of the few that rests comfortably all the way in my palm instead of me using a claw grip like I usually do.
To each his own I guess. ;) I also have quite large hands, but don't like those bulky behemoths Logitech produces. I prefer lean and slim like Razer and others. But I use the fingertip grip, so that's a natural choice for me!

#17 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 01:26 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 25 April 2016 - 06:41 PM, said:

As for the trackpad, I am going to get Apple's new version of that. Ib have found using the iPad that I really like using touch to navigate. It feels very natural and comfortable to me. I like using gestures that do cool things. There's a definite wow factor in it for me being new to it which makes it fun. I think there is something to be said for maintaining some consistency in the way I interact with the Mac, iPad and iPhone as well.
Well, I'm not a fan of the lowest common denominator strategy; I prefer best of breed. I've used the Magic Trackpad (first version), and while like you it was fun when in the discovery phase, I quickly reverted to the more convenient mouse. Mobile devices can't use anything else than touch pads and have a user interface designed for it, but that's not the case of the standard computer which is still best used with a mouse and keyboard IMHO. Granted, it's perfectly usable with a touch pad, but not as efficient, especially for tasks which require a lot of mousing around.

#18 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:33 AM

My view differs from yours in that I do not view the trackpad as a compromise of some sort but rather a preferred means of navigation and interaction with apps. I would agree with you about certain tasks that would benefit from a mouse but I don't see that applying to my own use. As it is, if I encounter some scenario where I would prefer a mouse to interact with a particular application I will have a nice one sitting on my desk anyway so it won't be an issue.

#19 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17419 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:08 AM

View PostFrost, on 25 April 2016 - 06:37 PM, said:

It was still on sale recently enough that it can still be had new at a discount over MSRP from third parties on Amazon. If you want to bump up to the latest revision of your mouse, I'd see about doing it sooner rather than later before new stock runs out and prices go up. Just a tip!

Done.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#20 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:27 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 26 April 2016 - 09:08 AM, said:

Done.

He shoots! He scores! The crowd goes wild!!!