23 replies to this topic

#1 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1425 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 01:44 AM

So Alexander Paschall, of Epic Games, makes this post/announcement regarding Unreal Engine 4.11. While it appears there's another release around the corner more often recently I decided to peruse what's new about this release and came across their announcing New: Metal Rendering on Mac OS X

Epic have worked closely with Apple, AMD, Nvidia, and Intel to integrate Metal for Mac and in 4.11 it replaces OpenGL as the primary graphics API for OS X El Capitan. The 4.11 release provides the same rendering features across Metal and OpenGL by default. Metal provides a streamlined, low-overhead API with precompiled shaders and efficient multi-threading support to maximise the processing power of the GPU. We will continue to improve and extend support for Mac Metal and look for ways to leverage new API features in upcoming versions of the engine.

There is also experimental Metal support for Shader Model 5 features, try it out using the "-metalsm5" command-line switch.

While of more importance to developers I can't help but be more hopeful, as a gamer, that we'll keep getting a nice stream of titles for our favorite OS that many of us will never complete.
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#2 ikir

ikir

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Steam Name:ikir

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:27 PM

Meeeeeetaaaaaalllllll!

Those are the news I love!
ikir's personal page
MacBook Pro 13" 2016 i5 2,9Ghz - 8GB RAM - 512GB SSD
Thunderbolt 3 eGPU Radeon Nitro+ RX 480 4GB
LG 34UM95 Ultrawide Thunderbolt
Steelseries Rival 300, Steelseries Siberia v3Prism, Logitech K811

#3 henryfakesmile

henryfakesmile

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Steam Name:henryfakesmile
  • Steam ID:henrycc265

Posted 12 April 2016 - 03:39 AM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 04 April 2016 - 01:44 AM, said:

So Alexander Paschall, of Epic Games, makes this post/announcement regarding Unreal Engine 4.11. While it appears there's another release around the corner more often recently I decided to peruse what's new about this release and came across their announcing New: Metal Rendering on Mac OS X

Epic have worked closely with Apple, AMD, Nvidia, and Intel to integrate Metal for Mac and in 4.11 it replaces OpenGL as the primary graphics API for OS X El Capitan. The 4.11 release provides the same rendering features across Metal and OpenGL by default. Metal provides a streamlined, low-overhead API with precompiled shaders and efficient multi-threading support to maximise the processing power of the GPU. We will continue to improve and extend support for Mac Metal and look for ways to leverage new API features in upcoming versions of the engine.

There is also experimental Metal support for Shader Model 5 features, try it out using the "-metalsm5" command-line switch.

While of more importance to developers I can't help but be more hopeful, as a gamer, that we'll keep getting a nice stream of titles for our favorite OS that many of us will never complete.

omg! never expected the game developers will even care for this since apple made its annoucement last year.........
woooooooooooo metal API is replacing openGL as the grapichal API :w00t:  

apple need to work harder to get more game engine / developer to jump on board with this in order to push forward

#4 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3780 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 12 April 2016 - 04:23 AM

As long as they maintain their relunctance to update OpenGL to modern standards, it will happen naturally. And make iOS ports easier.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#5 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 12 April 2016 - 12:56 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 12 April 2016 - 04:23 AM, said:

And make iOS ports easier.

Do we really need more of these lousy iOS games on the Mac? :glare:

#6 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3780 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 01:32 PM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 12 April 2016 - 12:56 PM, said:

Do we really need more of these lousy iOS games on the Mac? :glare:
Given the thousands and thousands of games released for iOS, some are bound to be good!

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#7 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 13 April 2016 - 06:19 AM

There are good iOS games to be sure and I have noticed an increasing number of significant well known titles in OS X and Windows making their way to iOS as well. I like the sound of this news in reverse really, where a Metal standard may make it more likely for work done by Aspyr and Feral among many others to find its way to iOS. I noticed and voted in a poll Aspyr has up on their site regarding a potential KOTOR II port to iOS that I'd love to see myself.

I've recently spent quite a lot of time surveying the iOS gaming landscape and while there is a staggering amount of trash in world approaching 3 million apps in total (not all games of course) there most definitely are a good amount of gems. I was pleasantly surprised by what I found. I was doing this because I just got a brand new 9.7" iPad Pro I am more than a little excited about.

So, this ain't the iOS area I know but I thought it worth mentioning that a standard across the ecosystem for graphics sure appeals to me given my newfound great interest in all things iOS. I'd love to see Mac titles that are doable on the platform come to iOS because Metal facilitates the process aside of other development considerations such as UI, controls, hardware limitations, etc. Likewise, I do believe a lot of goodness from iOS would be welcome on OS X. The problem will be the flood of trash that no doubt will also swamp the Mac App Store along with it.

Not that trash on the Mac App Store is anything new either but unleashing iOS games and apps there even (photo editing multitudes) would be like a tsunami rolling in.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#8 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 April 2016 - 05:02 PM

I am slowly coming around to the idea of an iPad completely replacing my laptop. I don't think I can ever tear myself away from having a desktop but this air 2 with a keyboard, and split screen. I can get some work done on it. If it had borderlands I would be set. Thinking about grabbing an MFI controller to see how stuff like Final Fantasy IX plays.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Dirtygary you should pm me your game face id
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#9 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 14 April 2016 - 12:24 AM

#macadmin slack. Nice ;-)

#10 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld

Posted 14 April 2016 - 09:16 AM

Yay! More Slackers! :w00t:

I love my neat little MacBook, but I've been impressed by the big iPad Pro. iA Writer, Things, Slack and other stuff run well on iOS -- I might be tempted to switch someday.
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#11 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 11:47 PM

I am sure I am going to enjoy using my iPad for a lot of stuff but I've already figured out I still want a desktop for certain things that are beyond its capabilities. For the time being I've got plenty to play with but I am mulling over the options there.

#12 henryfakesmile

henryfakesmile

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Steam Name:henryfakesmile
  • Steam ID:henrycc265

Posted 15 April 2016 - 11:26 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 13 April 2016 - 05:02 PM, said:

I am slowly coming around to the idea of an iPad completely replacing my laptop. I don't think I can ever tear myself away from having a desktop but this air 2 with a keyboard, and split screen. I can get some work done on it. If it had borderlands I would be set. Thinking about grabbing an MFI controller to see how stuff like Final Fantasy IX plays.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Dirtygary you should pm me your game face id

View PostMichalM.Mac, on 14 April 2016 - 12:24 AM, said:

#macadmin slack. Nice ;-)

View PostJan, on 14 April 2016 - 09:16 AM, said:

Yay! More Slackers! :w00t:

I love my neat little MacBook, but I've been impressed by the big iPad Pro. iA Writer, Things, Slack and other stuff run well on iOS -- I might be tempted to switch someday.

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 14 April 2016 - 11:47 PM, said:

I am sure I am going to enjoy using my iPad for a lot of stuff but I've already figured out I still want a desktop for certain things that are beyond its capabilities. For the time being I've got plenty to play with but I am mulling over the options there.

:w00t: woo we LOVE slack and had been using it replace other IM app like Skype & whatsapp ( i even have that removed from my phone )
we should had make a mac community slack group :excl:  :wiggle: :groupwave:

#13 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3780 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 12:53 AM

Dude, you REALLY need to stop the random multiquoting!

#14 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 08:21 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 16 April 2016 - 12:53 AM, said:

Dude, you REALLY need to stop the random multiquoting!

Oh, it's just a few quotes. Besides, I only got in on that last one as 4th (last place) and I'd have been left out otherwise! :)

#15 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 09:32 AM

::sob sniff::  He didn't quote me at all!  What am I?  Chopped liver?  ... mmmmmmmmmmmmmm chopped liver Friskies.  Going to the store, BRB.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#16 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3298 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 16 April 2016 - 02:18 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 16 April 2016 - 09:32 AM, said:

::sob sniff::  He didn't quote me at all!  What am I?  Chopped liver?  ... mmmmmmmmmmmmmm chopped liver Friskies.  Going to the store, BRB.

RIP in peace mate
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#17 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 09:26 PM

View Posthenryfakesmile, on 15 April 2016 - 11:26 PM, said:

:w00t: woo we LOVE slack and had been using it replace other IM app like Skype & whatsapp ( i even have that removed from my phone )
we should had make a mac community slack group :excl:  :wiggle: :groupwave:

We do have a discord community setup FWIW, IMG Discord Server
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#18 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 02:08 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 16 April 2016 - 09:26 PM, said:

??
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#19 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 04:29 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 17 April 2016 - 02:08 PM, said:

??

bruh it says you have an account on there already. I kan see your name.

#20 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 06:23 PM

Really?  Me?  I don't know why I would have an account on there, I don't recall creating one and I don't have a need to replace Skype when Skype works swell for me.  Probably the whiskey headshot I must have received that night, if you don't remember either then it was a "Multi Kill!"
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: unreal engine, unreal, engine, 4.11, metal, graphics api, rendering