My internal drive has failed and now I need a new one, what are your suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:17 AM

Hey guys, been a few weeks since I've been on here and this topic is more of a straight hardware and general PC advice thread but here goes:

Only a few hours ago, my main HDD in my PC failed, so I am looking for a replacement or a different storage solution. I had a WD Black 3 TB 7200 OS and main drive. I also have another internal drive, a Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 7200.

My failed drive's capacity was two-thirds used. So I am looking at acquiring the same amount of storage, if not more.

A friend has been pestering me to buy a SSD, I only have games, movies and TV shows on my computer, so I am unsure of the need.

So what I an asking here is: what are your suggestions for manufacturer of HDD/SSD and product type? Like another WD Black 3 TB or something else?

Thanks for your advice!

Lib.

Edit: my other internal drive is a WD Green, not a Seagate Barracuda.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#2 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17420 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:11 AM

I'm with your friend, get the biggest SSD you can afford, second best is an SSHD.  An SSD puts the "snap" into Steve Job's "snappy".  I've got an SSD for my OS X install and an SSHD for my Windows install, they boot almost as fast as one another.  This makes booting into Windblows for some game time a lot less painful.  After that, booting onto an HHD will always feel toe curling slow by comparison.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#3 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 29 March 2016 - 12:58 PM

I second a SSD, but a 2TB one won't be cheap, so most people use a small SSD (128 or better 256 GB, though 512 GB is becoming affordable to the common wallet) for the OS and common apps, and a HDD for storage (typically your movies, TV shows, music, photos, seldom used apps...). Best of both worlds!

For 3.5" HDDs, I prefer Toshiba then WD, last Seagate (I used to have HGST first, but since they've been bought by WD, the brand remains but is more aimed at the data centre market, though you can still find some older desktop models; whereas Toshiba has inherited former HGST factories).
I don't know really which SSD to recommend today, but I think you can't go wrong with Crucial and Samsung (their Pro models are famous but quite expensive, I have one; and EVO ones are cheaper).

#4 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17420 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:14 PM

Yeah, not cheap.  My Crucial 1TB M550 SATA SSD cost $450, but for me that was money well spent.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#5 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 03:07 PM

I agree with the above...

1TB SSD models will probably come down in price when larger ones become more common place but 480GB to 512GB models are often on sale and even a 256GB might be enough for your OS and regularly used apps (just work out your current needs and add a bit for future expansion) - then just get a second mechanical disk for the bulk data media etc. that doesn't need the speed.

With 6 to 8TB mechanical disks now available the 3 and 4TB models are pretty cheap.

One thing is sure you will never ever want a mechanical disk for your boot drive ever again! :)
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, R9 280X 3GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.6

#6 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6089 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:22 PM

If you're booting off of it, get an SSD. Seriously. It will feel so much faster for about 1 week. Then it won't feel any faster at all. But if you go back to a HDD after that, you'll feel like your system is crawling. After about 3 years of operating off of SSDs, the Velociraptor in my G5 is about the only HDD left where I don't feel like I'm computing while wearing cement shoes. And even that isn't that great.

Right now, if SATA, at the top end I'd recommend Micron's M600 (slightly slower, but ridiculously huge endurance; it's the one-gen-newer version of tBC's SSD) or the Samsung 850 Pro (slightly faster, but less endurance). If you want to bring the cost down some, the Samsung 850 Evo isn't a bad option either. You get half the endurance of the 850 Pro and a minor penalty to performance, but in exchange for a significantly lower cost.

If not SATA but PCIe, Samsung 950 Pro all the way.

If you're not booting off of it and/or you need large storage, a HDD is fine. HGST's DeskStar NAS line is in a killer spot for the price:performance:reliability ratio right now. Fast, spacious, and unkillable.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#7 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17420 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:18 PM

A terabyte is a lot of room.  I have lots of games and accumulated stuff on it and it's at halfway.  If I need more room I'll store stuff long term that I don't use much on a big HHD to make room for more games

... which is my far flung prophetic vision of needing more space on the damn thing for games.  I want to tip my hat to Dirtyharry's signature, if you are enjoying yourself it is not time wasted.  I'm a hedonistic game junky and the other-reality adventures of games is my drug.  Nothing like playing a really great game.  

Anyway once you go SSD you don't wan't to use an HHD again.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#8 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:23 PM

Any Crucial/Micron will do (I own several). Look around for a sale, sometimes you can find a really good deal on the previous generation Crucials.

I use an icy dock to slot it into 3.5" drive space but there's tons of options (OWC has some decent sleds)

On the cheap I have a seagate SSHD in a system and the 8GB NAND tacked on does really help with boot, but it's only enough to cache OS and maybe a couple applications. But damnb boot is pretty fast, and the 2GB model is a 7200rpm mechanical so it's decent enough as far as spinning rust goes. (the 4GB is 5400).

Since you already have a data drive that is still operational I'd probably go with an SSD.

One other thing to consider is that drive that is failed may still be perfectly usable. Often drives will have a weak segment on the drive or some issue that causes failing reads on a sector, especially frequently read/written sectors. Modern mechanical drives have really advanced ECC (and spare sectors) but it only is enacted on write. Usually SMART reporting a few sectors pending reallocation is indicative of this. I've cajoled many "failing" drives back to perfectly suitable life by simply zeroing a drive. This forces the drive to perform all it's internal maintenance. It's when the sector reallocation continuously increases you've got a real problem, as far as the stability of the magnetic material goes. Obviously you can still have physical damage, bad bearings, etc.... that can all cause other issues.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#9 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:27 PM

Thanks for your recommendations and suggestions as yet guys. My current thoughts are to buy a 250/500 GB Samsung 850 Evo and a replacement 2/3 TB HDD. I will still wait a little longer for a bit more advice.

Thanks for all of the above replies.
Lib.

I have corrected my initial post, see above for the change.

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

#10 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:35 PM

Sweet cuppin cakes they have come down even more than the last time I looked.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820148949
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#11 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6089 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:34 PM

Amazon just dropped the price of the 500GB 850 Evo by 10% too. Don't know if that applies in Aussieland though.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#12 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 09:06 AM

I should look into these things more frequently. Seagate now has 32GB options for SSHDs, but only in 2.5" format right now.

http://www.seagate.c...e-hybrid-drive/

#13 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6089 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 05:23 PM

Hopefully they're more reliable. The 8GB models have been having issues; and I mean issues to the point that NVIDIA issued a recall of some of their Shield TV units that were equipped with them to change out the drives. Ouch.

Eric5h5:

#14 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 31 March 2016 - 06:13 AM

This made me look into a SSD upgrade for my iMac on OWC but for the upgrade I'd want it isn't worth it to me. The hassle of taking apart an iMac with a glued on screen isn't appealing either although I'm sure I could do it. I'm also sure it would be a pain in the rear. Even the OWC video demonstrating this neatly cuts away when the guy screws up removing the glue several times. I did not miss that little bit of video trickery.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#15 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2038 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 06:36 AM

ugghhhhhhhhh I hate cutting off the screens. And I hate reapplying the adhesive even more. There's a reason apple ships me fraking 12 sets of strips in the kit. They know I'm gunna fat finger them 3 times before I get the panel back on.

#16 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 31 March 2016 - 06:41 AM

Yeah, leave it alone confirmed. :w00t:
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#17 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 31 March 2016 - 10:27 AM

+1 for SSD. Makes normal HDD's look like pleb hardware.

Just get a 250-500 GB boot SSD, and then a large HDD for games/movies (and any other large files).
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#18 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 06:51 PM

That's what I'm looking at right now. Later today I'm going to buy an SSD so I can get back to using my computer.

Lib.

#19 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 10:05 AM

Well, I've now bought a Samsung 850 Evo with 250 GB and a WD Blue with 3 TB. Thank you everyone for all of your advice, recommendations and suggestions.

Lib.