DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1583 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 31 March 2016 - 09:17 AM

This all reminds me of raiding in EverQuest for many hours at a time. Before raids, I'd set up everything I needed at the computer desk so there would be no need to get up during any of it because you can't be going AFK during raids. Of all classes, as a cleric I could never get away with that or people would die and hate me and stuff. I often made jokes about keeping various necessities at hand to prevent any failure to serve the needs of the guild at war with the raid mobs. Real men and women do not show up for raids unprepared for any eventuality.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#22 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 01 April 2016 - 05:57 PM

Agreed.  That's why I always keep a tampon in my purse by the computer desk, because you just never know.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#23 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1583 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 03:16 AM

LOL! Wow! That is some kind of prepared for any eventuality!!!

#24 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 03 April 2016 - 11:43 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 31 March 2016 - 09:17 AM, said:

This all reminds me of raiding in EverQuest for many hours at a time. Before raids, I'd set up everything I needed at the computer desk so there would be no need to get up during any of it because you can't be going AFK during raids. Of all classes, as a cleric I could never get away with that or people would die and hate me and stuff. I often made jokes about keeping various necessities at hand to prevent any failure to serve the needs of the guild at war with the raid mobs. Real men and women do not show up for raids unprepared for any eventuality.

So, uhmm, did you also keep an empty bottle, just in case? Especially considering the Battle Cat's "One sitting" includes not getting up to pee line. :crying:

#25 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1583 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 08:21 PM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 03 April 2016 - 11:43 AM, said:

So, uhmm, did you also keep an empty bottle, just in case? Especially considering the Battle Cat's "One sitting" includes not getting up to pee line. :crying:

I believe I did say any eventuality... although I will admit I never went so far as to consider a tampon.

I found a catheter to be far more convenient for hands free relief. I can't be fooling with myself while healing raid tanks.

#26 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 01:41 PM

The placement of checkpoint saves is causing me frustration again - this time with Sleeping dogs....

Specifically a mission called "Club bam bam" - you beat one group of guys then finally after several attempts the next larger group then find there is third group and of course I don't make it past them so what happens...yes right back to before the 1st group!!!

This game was a lot of fun before this...

Same thing happened to me recently in The Force Unleashed which I repurchased digitally so I would need the DVDs. I battle my way past a boss in the junk yard only to then miss a jump on my way along the path (not finding the control system that great), and yes you guessed it back to before the boss with all the underlings to take out again first...

This is why I like that good old save game option we used to have.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, RX580 8GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.13.1

#27 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1373 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 23 April 2016 - 02:02 PM

View Postmattw, on 23 April 2016 - 01:41 PM, said:

The placement of checkpoint saves is causing me frustration again - this time with Sleeping dogs....

Specifically a mission called "Club bam bam" - you beat one group of guys then finally after several attempts the next larger group then find there is third group and of course I don't make it past them so what happens...yes right back to before the 1st group!!!

Yeah, that was the worst part of sleeping dogs...but that mission is the worst offender. Later missions seemed more generous with the save points, or maybe I just got better so it was less frustrating.

#28 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 02:45 PM

View Postmattw, on 23 April 2016 - 01:41 PM, said:

This is why I like that good old save game option we used to have.

Hear, hear brother Matt.  I never did like checkpoint saves in any form because of ridiculous situations such as the one you described.  Plus checkpoint saves forbid you from doing stupid or experimental stuff because you don't know if that will be saved or not.  A quick save and a quick load let you be as stupid as you want to be without getting penalized for it.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#29 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1583 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 01:11 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 23 April 2016 - 02:45 PM, said:

Hear, hear brother Matt.  I never did like checkpoint saves in any form because of ridiculous situations such as the one you described.  Plus checkpoint saves forbid you from doing stupid or experimental stuff because you don't know if that will be saved or not.  A quick save and a quick load let you be as stupid as you want to be without getting penalized for it.

Isn't it great? I love being stupid! In fact, it's a way of life. :w00t:

I have found with some games that I actually liked them taking the save option from me and just handling it so I'd stop obsessing about saving so much. Sometimes for me as long as they are well done, I actually like them because of this. I can forget about it and just play but yeah, when they are spaced badly I hate them.

#30 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 04:07 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 24 April 2016 - 01:11 PM, said:

Isn't it great? I love being stupid! In fact, it's a way of life. :w00t:

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 24 April 2016 - 01:11 PM, said:

I have found with some games that I actually liked them taking the save option from me and just handling it so I'd stop obsessing about saving so much. Sometimes for me as long as they are well done, I actually like them because of this. I can forget about it and just play but yeah, when they are spaced badly I hate them.

My all time favorite, Marathon, was like that.  It had save terminals (pattern buffers) and almost every one of them was very well placed.  They had you slog your way through a pre-set fighting scenario to reach the next buffer.  I do admit to running back to save in a couple particularly difficult maps... but I was playing at the highest difficulty level and it would get boring to fight the same fight over and over to get back to where you were when you died and make a little progress.

A very good use of a quick save is to reload it to fight a particularly fun fight again.  Also, I like to use permanent saves to store my favorite fights to play again later for a quick game fix.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat