29 replies to this topic

#1 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 28 March 2016 - 06:19 PM

Did you ever quick save just before a bullet enters your soft tender flesh and ricochets back and forth off your ribs?  Did that today in Call of Duty: Pacific Assault. At first I died right away, so I quick loaded and looked around.  I spotted some guy with a rifle behind some barrels.  I shot him the next quick load, but still died anyway.  So I look around again and a guy with a pistol is killing me.  I restart and kill them and I die anyway, only not so fast.  It turns out there was a guy standing right behind me polishing his bayonet with my gizzard.  I thought the coast was clear when I dove behind cover so I saved right at the moment that fate had a wiseass smirk on it's face.  I quick loaded again and hightailed it over to other cover with only minimal damage.  I killed those bastards.  I gutted em I did, I skinned and ate them then left wearing their hides.  Pant wheeze cough.  Then I quick saved again.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#2 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1513 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 28 March 2016 - 11:16 PM

Yeah, I sometimes do regular saves just because I fear doing a quick save at a bad time and being screwed. It works most of the time for me...
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#3 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 29 March 2016 - 12:52 AM

The Battle Cat, this arrived so often to me you'd think I had learned the lesson by now... That is, do like DirtyHarry and do a regular save from time to time.
But there's worse: a corrupted save which crashes the game. Even worse when you only had the quick save... :wall:

#4 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:12 AM

I can't really remember which game it was (might have been Quake 4), but one time I managed to quick save a fraction of a second before a missile obliterated me. The missile was even visible on the thumbnail for that save. Good thing many games automatically save at the beginning of a new level. If not, I usually do that myself.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#5 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:58 AM

At least you could save - the checkpoint only system is more annoying when you have to repeat several steps only to fail once more to get past the last difficult one.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, R9 280X 3GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.6

#6 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 29 March 2016 - 06:16 AM

I recently quick saved in a very poor position in Fallout 4 and had to revert to a quite earlier save. I'd managed to get myself wedged in-between two sets of bandits in a building that were both very close to firing at me. So coming out of quick save I was 1-2 seconds from getting hammered from both sides....... No amount of VATS seemed to save me in that situation. And my last full save had been outside the damn building. :wall:
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#7 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:47 AM

Heh. I remember playing Czech shooter named Vietcong back in the days. On hardest difficulty you had only limited number of quicksaves (3-4).
It was critical to use them in right.

#8 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:41 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 28 March 2016 - 11:16 PM, said:

Yeah, I sometimes do regular saves just because I fear doing a quick save at a bad time and being screwed. It works most of the time for me...

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 29 March 2016 - 12:52 AM, said:

The Battle Cat, this arrived so often to me you'd think I had learned the lesson by now... That is, do like DirtyHarry and do a regular save from time to time.
But there's worse: a corrupted save which crashes the game. Even worse when you only had the quick save... :wall:

I normally do that, almost without fail except for this game for some reason.  I just didn't bother to and I almost paid the price.

View PostJanichsan, on 29 March 2016 - 02:12 AM, said:

The missile was even visible on the thumbnail for that save.

I LOLed at that.  A sort of childlike "HAR!" burst out of me.  That's like one of those stupid bottom-of-a-webpage-pictographical-links you find on a web page titled, "Tragic Selfies Taken Just Before Death".  

And I absolutely hate checkpoint saves Mattw.  Checkpoint saves crush experimentation and the urge to try something stupid and dangerous.  I like to test fire a weapon throughly to familiarize myself with it, burning through a lot of reloads.  And I HATE wasting ammo ever since the days of bare knuckle fighting in the ammo scarce early part of the first Marathon.

I think the worst save system was ZPC's system.  You had to find an artifact to save with, when you used it you destroyed it.  There was only a couple artifacts per map, usually hidden.  I found a great workaround, if one quit the very first thing after saving, it didn't consume the artifact.  So in your face ZPC.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#9 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:12 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 29 March 2016 - 02:12 AM, said:

I can't really remember which game it was (might have been Quake 4), but one time I managed to quick save a fraction of a second before a missile obliterated me. The missile was even visible on the thumbnail for that save. Good thing many games automatically save at the beginning of a new level. If not, I usually do that myself.

This exact thing happened to me with Marathon. I think it was in the first on a custom level, I had no idea a juggernaut was peering in at me through a room. Saved, started to turn, got the walls decorated with my guts. I had no earlier saves. FRAK.

After about 15 tries I managed to work out a backwards sideways turning juke that got me just far enough from the second munition that I was only within the radius of one and thus only almost died. Phew. Crisis averted.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#10 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:24 PM

My god I've gotten into some nasty scrapes after saving on a save term.  Once I was stuck on a trooper, I couldn't move past him and I could't put enough 44's into him in time to save my life.  I always saved a separate save at the first save term I'd find in a map and then use a second save thereafter to store over each other quick save style.  Had to start over from the first term, glad it didn't happen there.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#11 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1513 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:29 PM

And then there is the entire series of saves that is lost forever when the game itself needs to be reinstalled because the hard drive crashed with a mechanical failure (click! click! click!) and the bitter, painful lesson to always backup is finally learned in no uncertain terms forever.

I learned that lesson while playing the first Baldur's Gate game. It would be well over a decade later before I installed it again and played it all the way though.

#12 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:10 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 29 March 2016 - 07:29 PM, said:

And then there is the entire series of saves that is lost forever when the game itself needs to be reinstalled because the hard drive crashed with a mechanical failure (click! click! click!) and the bitter, painful lesson to always backup is finally learned in no uncertain terms forever.

Or you're a dumbass and delete your old MacBook Pro's Time Machine backup off your NAS after a month because you figure, "Ah, it's been a month, if I missed something I needed I've remembered it by now. I'll just free up the space."

Out the window go all my StarCraft 2 saves and replays, and like 75GB of unsorted ultra-MLG popsnizzle from playing competitive in Destiny. I mean we're talking losing a Youtube-topping recording of putting a bullet through three other players' heads with one sniper round type of thing. I realize this at the three month mark. Sigh. Although at least I didn't lose this gem, by a factor of only a couple days before the string of stupidity that led to losing half my stuff began. Texan + cowboy revolver + shotgun = unkillable carnage.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#13 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 09:04 AM

What a meanie pie.  Can't we all just (sob) get along?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#14 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1513 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 01:10 PM

That was some pretty sweet shootin' there Tex. Wow! I linked to that on my oldest nephew's FB page to show him how it's done. I'm sure he'll be duly impressed as I was.

#15 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 01:53 PM

What you want is Frost on your team so you and the other useless hangers on can kick back and polish off some brewskis.  Every now and again one of you can run in front of Frost so that he thinks you're out there in the trenches.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#16 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 05:21 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 30 March 2016 - 01:53 PM, said:

What you want is Frost on your team so you and the other useless hangers on can kick back and polish off some brewskis.  Every now and again one of you can run in front of Frost so that he thinks you're out there in the trenches.

I watched one of my friends' YT videos and I found he was doing exactly this, but feeding off my kills whilst hanging out in the rear so he also outscored me at the same time.

Motherfrakker.

Eric5h5:

#17 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1513 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 06:07 AM

It's enough to make me want a PS4 so I can add Frost as a friend there and you know, keep him company and stuff while I "earn" trophies for myself and bask in the glory of my own greatness.

#18 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3780 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 31 March 2016 - 06:58 AM

Real Mac gamers never save. They just finish the game in one sitting. Without using ammo or loosing life. And nazis always die.

newbeez.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#19 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1513 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 07:39 AM

lol

#20 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 09:07 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 31 March 2016 - 06:58 AM, said:

Real Mac gamers never save. They just finish the game in one sitting. Without using ammo or loosing life. And nazis always die.

newbeez.

"One sitting" includes not getting up to pee, real men don't pee when there is a war on.  In fact after the treaty with Japan was signed, all the men immediately gathered at the rails of the USS Missouri, unzipped, and finally let loose a torrent of pee into Tokyo Bay.  This act spawned a maritime tradition of welcoming a vessel into a harbor by blasting all the firehoses into the air over the side in much the same way as the men on the USS Missouri.  Not many people know that.  The more you know.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat