Answer questions for the Feral newsletter!

• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#61 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3301 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 15 August 2016 - 02:08 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 15 August 2016 - 02:01 PM, said:

iPad accepts controllers?  That would certainly open up the game options on an iPad.  FPSs have been traditionally awful on an iPad.

Bluetooth controllers I believe. Not all games support them though.

Here is one from apple.ca : http://www.apple.com...ming-controller
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#62 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 August 2016 - 02:25 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 15 August 2016 - 02:01 PM, said:

iPad accepts controllers?  That would certainly open up the game options on an iPad.  FPSs have been traditionally awful on an iPad.

[edit]  Holy maloney!  They're everywhere!   Now if only I had ever used a controller I'd be in fat city.

I have a madcatz c.t.r.l.i. micro
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#63 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17429 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 05:48 PM

I'm afraid I might be too wedded to keyboard and mouse.  I'd need to try one first before I could commit to buying one.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#64 EllieFeral

EllieFeral

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:35 AM

A new newsletter question for the thinkers among you!

What makes science fiction such a popular genre in video games?
Posted Image
                          I'm from Feral Interactive.
Website / Support / Twitter / Facebook / YouTube / Twitch

#65 johntravers

johntravers

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 04:46 PM

View PostEllieFeral, on 15 August 2016 - 09:48 AM, said:

Thanks for all your answers folks, here's a new question for ya:

What game do you wish you could play on your mobile device, and why?

a decent civ game. civ revolutions is popsnizzle.
a decent mario like game. even he new official mario game looks like a single button disaster.
fallout....
iMac 2011 27" 3.2ghz and 1 gb 6970m

#66 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17429 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:22 PM

View PostEllieFeral, on 13 September 2016 - 10:35 AM, said:

What makes science fiction such a popular genre in video games?

1) Science weapons rock
2) Outer space is so much bigger than anywhere on Earth. (insert yo mama joke)

More exotic locations

More exotic people and creatures

More exotic cultures

3) Science fiction offers a more substantial "suspension of belief", allowing one to immerse oneself in fantastic scenarios.
4) Green Animal Women.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#67 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 05:56 AM

Agree with all that - you are only limited by the scope of imagination.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, RX580 8GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.13.1

#68 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1575 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 19 September 2016 - 04:04 AM

What tBC said, especially the Green Animal Women part.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#69 Jeyl

Jeyl

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Steam Name:Jeyl
  • Steam ID:jeyl1984

Posted 25 September 2016 - 12:20 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 15 August 2016 - 12:59 PM, said:

Dragon Age: Origins seems like it could work well on an iPad.

Normally I'd respond with "Why do that when it runs perfectly on a Mac laptop?", but than I realized that the Mac version of Dragon Age: Origins is no longer available. I was saddened when I learned about that.
Processor: 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Memory: 14 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
Vid Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285
Mac OS X Version 10.7.3

#70 EllieFeral

EllieFeral

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 02:21 AM

Halloween's coming up, so our question for the October newsletter can be only this:

What's the scariest moment you've ever experienced in a video game?
Posted Image

#71 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3812 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 19 October 2016 - 04:12 AM

The hand that drops from the ceiling, in Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#72 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1575 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:46 AM

Running back through dangerous territory in the early days of EverQuest to loot your corpse after an untimely death in a bad place is easily the scariest thing I've ever experienced in gaming. There were real and painful consequences for failure which inspired genuine fear. I've never been so fully immersed in any game as the times I was engaged in corpse runs in old EverQuest zones teeming with nasties waiting to eat me alive.

You had to get your corpse. All your precious gear was on it but you'd either be running back naked or as many of us learned to do, in a cheapo set of basic gear we'd keep banked for corpse runs. The scary thing was, now rats couldn't kill you but regular zone mobs easily could if you got aggro. Heaven help you if you died in some cave full of mobs of something. Your only hope there was to find a necro or shadowknight who could summon your corpse outside of it for you to loot it or a rogue who could sneak in and drag your corpse out to a safe place to loot it. You lost experience too when you died in EverQuest and you could lose a lot if you died repeatedly trying to get your corpse. It was not uncommon for people to lose a level to deaths which in some cases then resulted in not being able to equip some of your gear until you got the level back. So taken together, traveling so poorly prepared for danger into dangerous places with your gear and experience loss at stake really was scary at times.

Games that do jump scares or setup tension in various ways are cool but nothing frightens someone like real loss and EverQuest was a harsh world with real consequences for failure. It often demanded that one play with care and attention or else. I still rank it as the best game I've ever played for this and many other reasons.

#73 Spike

Spike

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:11 PM

Everquest when they had the Mac port, having to go thru The Deep zone. As said, there were consequences for failure which I loved about Everquest and The Deep was one where one wrong twitch could result in a fall to neverland. Fortunately, I got thru the zone, but holy snitzel!

#74 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17429 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:44 PM

Escape From Castle Wolfenstein 3D.  I thought I smelled something to eat when I tabbed through the door.  I was feeling a mite peckish and it smelled to me like mashed beef guts, I remembered the smell from the big dumb owner who worked in a slaughter house who had me for awhile.  Out of nowhere a frakin' German Shepard ran up and was tearing my front left leg out of the socket.  It was only serendipity that saved me because I had my chain gun up at the time.  A flinch twist later and that sucker lay dead in a pool of DOG blood.  And even more disgusting it was DOG food I smelled!  I had to stop the game for awhile and lick myself furiously.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#75 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6094 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 20 October 2016 - 06:28 PM

View PostEllieFeral, on 19 October 2016 - 02:21 AM, said:

Halloween's coming up, so our question for the October newsletter can be only this:

What's the scariest moment you've ever experienced in a video game?

Playing Bungie's Pathways into Darkness back in 1994, way down in the depths of the pyramid. I was hunting for ammo or potions or something, don't remember exactly what I was doing. But it was on a level I was reasonably sure I'd cleared out but I still had that creeping dread that Pathways instilled so well. It was a level with those super-annoying Wraiths, so I was wearing the infrared goggles (they are visible only on the infrared spectrum; if you aren't wearing IR goggles you will hear them and you will get hit by them but you won't see them).

I was walking down a hallway, feeling safer than usual since a hallway means they can only come at you from two directions. That zone where you haven't encountered anything bad for a while, so when you do it makes it worse than if you were expecting something. Then all of a sudden I hit an invisible wall. What?

All of a sudden my screen turns blue, my headphones erupt with a super-loud Phantasm shriek, and my health goes down. If it was possible to jump out of my skin, I would have. I jolted like I was electrocuted, I think my heart rate must have shot into the 170s, every hair on my body stood up, eyes watered like they do in a case of blind terror. I spun around to find the Phantasm behind me... except there wasn't one.

Now, for context, the Phantasm was one of the most dangerous enemies in the game. It was a black spectral form with glowing red eyes, and no physical weapon could harm it. You could not kill it without a blue crystal, a strange object found in the pyramid that could freeze enemies solid. The problem was there were only a few in the entire game, and each only had a few charges before it would shatter and be gone forever. You had to pick your fights with Phantasms, or run. If one cornered you and you had no blue crystal, you were done. The problem was I could not see it and yet one was within arm's length of me!

Back to the Phantasm that wasn't there: screen turns blue, headphones erupt with a Phantasm shriek again, this time sounding like it was behind me. I spun again, backing off, firing at the air. So scared and startled my hands were shaking on the keyboard and I was hitting the wrong keys. This was the worst way to encounter a Phantasm. Fortunately I realized maybe I should take off the infrared goggles, so I hit my inventory real quick while backpedaling and unequipped them. Suddenly there it was, a Phantasm only a couple yards away in the hall coming right at me. Thankfully I had a blue crystal on me, and was able to kill it before it very nearly finished me off. One more attack and I'd have died right there.

That was how I learned that Phantasms were invisible in infrared and could only be seen in visible light. Which doubled my terror the further I descended; I thought I could use the IR goggles all the time to avoid invisible foes. Now I had to play a dangerous game of choosing between not being able to see the less threatening but more numerous Wraiths, and not being able to see the far more dangerous Phantasms.

That scared me so badly that the quickest way to creep me out in any videogame or movie going forward was to raise the spectre of an enemy that is invisible, because it made all those old fear feelings from that lone Phantasm attack come back. When I played Silent Hill 2 years later, the most terrified I got in that game was in one part where you can hear an invisible monster running on the ceiling of a large room you must pass through to progress. It never attacks you, but just the creeping dread of a repeat of the Phantasm attack managed to be scarier than anything else.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#76 EllieFeral

EllieFeral

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 05:53 AM

Question for the November newsletter:

What do you enjoy most about multiplayer, and why?
Posted Image

#77 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3812 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 25 November 2016 - 06:53 AM

View PostEllieFeral, on 25 November 2016 - 05:53 AM, said:

Well communicating and friendly players on my team. It makes it so much more enjoyable.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#78 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:05 AM

The challenge and satisfaction of taking on real players, or with co-op help getting past the difficult bits!
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, RX580 8GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.13.1

#79 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1575 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 05:33 PM

I think my favorite part is coming up with excuses for why i could not play Borderlands 2 yet again or it was until one day I found that I had no friends anymore. :unsure:

It's been a long time for me and I want to get back to it but I love the non-stop action and chaos of FPS multiplayer games. I'm not even a competitive type aside of competing with myself to try to be half-decent hopefully. A leader of leader boards I am not but fortunately the real fun of it for me is just in the gameplay itself. So being spawn killed makes me laugh, etc. I don't get worked up over stuff which doesn't mean I don't try to play as well as I can but I just don't worry about it. I show up to have fun and wild chaos is my idea of good fun, ala Quake III Arena was a beautiful thing once upon a time. I've never done mechs but I am hoping I enjoy the gameplay of Titanfall 2 including some quality time in Titans before somebody blows me up. I wanna play like Frost when I grow up and lay waste to servers wherever I go. I believe it is important to dream big however unrealistic my dreams may be.

#80 BifBologna

BifBologna

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:45 PM

View PostEllieFeral, on 25 November 2016 - 05:53 AM, said:

Being able to co-op with friends while using Vent. I do a little bit of PvP, but don't really enjoy it. I am, at best, a mediocre player. Playing against other people is usually just an exercise in frustration for me. Co-op'ing with friends, on the other hand, is typically a bag full of chuckles and far more rewarding. Whether it's picking up a downed friend, cap'ing an objective, collecting loot or kiting a suicide bomber into the group, in co-op, I can usually find a way to make my limited skills "useful".