Answer questions for the Feral newsletter!

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#41 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:04 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 21 June 2016 - 06:57 AM, said:

Elite is sort of available for Modern macs. At least Frontier makes the game freely available to use with an emulator.

https://www.frontier...84-for-mac.html
I know, but I was thinking something more along the line of the massively improved Amiga/Atari ST and Archimedes versions.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#42 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:04 AM

View PostEllieFeral, on 21 June 2016 - 03:15 AM, said:

Question for the June newsletter!

If you could rewind time and bring one vintage game to Mac, what would it be and why?

I had a hankering for Return to Castle Wolfenstein recently.  Also it would be a treat to play No One Lives Forever again.  Why?  I love a good first person shooter with an immersive story and interesting settings.  These were both excellent shooters with a good old fashioned quick save and load, none of this horrific checkpoint nonsense modern games suffer from.  The weapon selections were top notch and easy to find a clear favorite though all were effective.  Now I'm a lot like Han Solo, I prefer a straight fight to all this sneaking around but these two games either have just a touch of sneak, or sneak done well and that made it feel like a well rounded game.

View PostMichalM.Mac, on 21 June 2016 - 06:19 AM, said:

From Feral catalog? Worms 3D would be nice. It still works on 10.11. Not sure how much work maintenance would it require to bring it to digital distribution.

There are some games worth saving after MacSoft.
Halo 1, UT 2004, Age of Mythology, Age of Empires 3.

Hard to choose ONE.

I'm currently playing UT2004 in El Capitan, I just progressed a level yesterday.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#43 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:46 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 21 June 2016 - 09:04 AM, said:

I'm currently playing UT2004 in El Capitan, I just progressed a level yesterday.

Does LAN or online multiplayer still work? I was under impression it was broken when Apple removed that legacy networking library (same one which basicaly killed Mac GameRanger).

#44 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:46 AM

It would be kind of cool to see The Movies get the Medieval Total War 2 treatment and brought back from the dead for modern operating systems.
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.12.3
iPad Air 2 64GB WiFi/iPhone 6+ 64GB

#45 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 21 June 2016 - 12:43 PM

View PostTacohead, on 21 June 2016 - 10:46 AM, said:

It would be kind of cool to see The Movies get the Medieval Total War 2 treatment and brought back from the dead for modern operating systems.

The Movies? Feral sells it on MAS and MGS. It should work on current system or is there some kind of problem?

#46 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:52 PM

View PostMichalM.Mac, on 21 June 2016 - 10:46 AM, said:

Does LAN or online multiplayer still work? I was under impression it was broken when Apple removed that legacy networking library (same one which basicaly killed Mac GameRanger).

I didn't know because I don't play online, but I went into UT2004 and joined a server and started shooting.  So yeah, online multiplayer still works.  I guess I could start a LAN game but I don't think my wife would like having a game installed on her computer to test it.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#47 EllieFeral

EllieFeral

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 04:32 AM

Here's one for RTS gamers:

What is the most important aspect of a strategy game, and why?
Posted Image
                          I'm from Feral Interactive.
Website / Support / Twitter / Facebook / YouTube / Twitch

#48 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:05 AM

Phooey!  Ask me something I've studied for!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#49 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:27 AM

RTS or Real Time?
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#50 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1353 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 15 July 2016 - 12:38 PM

I'll cheat and use Sid Meier's answer: a strategy game must have hard, meaningful choices to make, with real tradeoffs.

#51 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 15 July 2016 - 10:06 PM

View PostEllieFeral, on 15 July 2016 - 04:32 AM, said:

How many options you have strategically...I like many paths to victory that are all viable depending on the factors of the match. (How many opponents, map, race/faction you're playing, etc.) This keeps the gameplay very fresh and allows for many styles of strategic play. I like being able to adapt on the fly to secure victory as well.
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#52 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:59 AM

View PostWumpus, on 15 July 2016 - 10:06 PM, said:

How many options you have strategically...I like many paths to victory that are all viable depending on the factors of the match. (How many opponents, map, race/faction you're playing, etc.) This keeps the gameplay very fresh and allows for many styles of strategic play. I like being able to adapt on the fly to secure victory as well.

Adapt, Improvise, overcome!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#53 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1513 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 17 July 2016 - 11:55 AM

View PostEllieFeral, on 15 July 2016 - 04:32 AM, said:

I think many would say the online multiplayer and critically the balancing of the game. I wouldn't argue the importance of that to many but for me it is a huge deal whether or not the game has a solid single player experience with skirmish play.

I was tempted to say a strategy game that releases in a complete state and is later expanded upon if successful with traditional full blown expansions. Unfortunately, I think those days are long gone. I miss them.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#54 Coug-it

Coug-it

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 07:37 PM

View PostEllieFeral, on 21 June 2016 - 03:15 AM, said:

Question for the June newsletter!

If you could rewind time and bring one vintage game to Mac, what would it be and why?

A little late but the original UT-99 to run on OS X (yeah, I know the odds of this have always been pretty much zero but you asked).

Could never get it working reliably without having it lock up on my old Mac OS X systems even with that OS X "beta" app that came out.  The common problem seemed to be a NVIDIA video card and USB mouse/keyboard since that combination caused problems on my brother's old Windows PC too (mouse and USB keyboard wouldn't respond after a while).

I never liked the "2001" followup game in the series with it's "miniature" character models (maybe that wasn't a problem with 2004 but I was so annoyed with the series by then I never bothered with it).

If not UT99 maybe UT3.

#55 EllieFeral

EllieFeral

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:48 AM

Thanks for all your answers folks, here's a new question for ya:

What game do you wish you could play on your mobile device, and why?
Posted Image
                          I'm from Feral Interactive.
Website / Support / Twitter / Facebook / YouTube / Twitch

#56 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 11:58 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 17 July 2016 - 11:55 AM, said:

I think many would say the online multiplayer and critically the balancing of the game. I wouldn't argue the importance of that to many but for me it is a huge deal whether or not the game has a solid single player experience with skirmish play.

I was tempted to say a strategy game that releases in a complete state and is later expanded upon if successful with traditional full blown expansions. Unfortunately, I think those days are long gone. I miss them.

Although strategy games generally fall behind racing simulation and shooters for me I've purchased many over the years (including many of Feral's titles) but I never have enough time to get up to the kind of level I feel I would need to play online.

My favourites have therefore been the various Warcraft and Starcraft games and expansions as you could play through the single player campaigns, enjoy the story and generally make steady progress (with the odd need to replay a level now and then to get a working strategy).

The biggest issue I see on a mobile device these days with regarding Triple A gaming is getting the control system to work well with the touchscreen. I'd imagine turn based strategy (e.g X-com) would therefore work better than real time.

I did try GTA3 on my iPhone for a while but stuff that was difficult on my Mac before was near enough impossible for me on the touch screen.

I can imagine more arcade like games or platformers etc. working OK on the larger screen of an iPad though if there are minimal possible control combinations - it's more the frantic fire fights in shooters or timed jumps (e.g Tomb Raider) I just can't see ever working as well. Adventure games like Myst etc. would be fine.

At the end of the day it is fine line between challenging fun and just plain frustrating.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, R9 280X 3GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.6

#57 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 15 August 2016 - 12:15 PM

View PostEllieFeral, on 15 August 2016 - 09:48 AM, said:

Borderlands, Claptraps need to be rescued on the go!
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#58 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3298 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 15 August 2016 - 12:59 PM

Any of the borderlands games would be great, but a controller would have to be required I would think.

Dragon Age: Origins seems like it could work well on an iPad.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#59 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3780 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 15 August 2016 - 01:17 PM

Civilization 4: Beyond The Sword. Advanced strategy game, pick up and go, save anytime.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#60 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 02:01 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 15 August 2016 - 12:59 PM, said:

Any of the borderlands games would be great, but a controller would have to be required I would think.

iPad accepts controllers?  That would certainly open up the game options on an iPad.  FPSs have been traditionally awful on an iPad.

[edit]  Holy maloney!  They're everywhere!   Now if only I had ever used a controller I'd be in fat city.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat