Answer questions for the Feral newsletter!

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#141 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1508 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:52 PM

I love DPS. I love slicing, dicing, shooting, hacking, slashing, burning, freezing, nuking and more. I'm not good at being subtle really. Pro tip: destructive behavior rewards one with better visuals than stealth the majority of the time.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#142 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3779 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:59 AM

If by stealth you mean sneak behind someone and backstabbing them, or hack a console to kill the with a wall mounted turret, then sure, stealth.
If you mean spending 20 minutes over and over again by sneaking sloooooowly, hide 10 minutes behind a barrel to avoid a guard, then getting seen by a guard and having to start over again, stealth, then hell no. Then I'd rather say Hasta La Vista, and go Serious Sam on them, without bubblegum.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#143 EllieFeral

EllieFeral

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 05:43 AM

The question to answer for July's newsletter is...

Which enemy (in any game) have you found most challenging to defeat, and why?
Posted Image
                          I'm from Feral Interactive.
Website / Support / Twitter / Facebook / YouTube / Twitch

#144 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3779 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 06:16 AM

Good question. Can't answer that though, as I likely had some encounters in my youth which I spend countless hours on trying to beat.. My most reason enemy I couldn't kill was the Icewind Dale end boss. Still haven't beaten him. Will get to him at some point though.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#145 nick68k

nick68k

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 245 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 07:57 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 20 July 2017 - 06:16 AM, said:

Good question. Can't answer that though, as I likely had some encounters in my youth which I spend countless hours on trying to beat.. My most reason enemy I couldn't kill was the Icewind Dale end boss. Still haven't beaten him. Will get to him at some point though.

I remember being stuck on Yxunomei for what felt like an age in the original release of IWD.

Also a timed door 'boss' in the Coliseum part of Tomb Raider :wall:
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#146 jeannot

jeannot

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:18 AM

View PostEllieFeral, on 20 July 2017 - 05:43 AM, said:

The question to answer for July's newsletter is...

Which enemy (in any game) have you found most challenging to defeat, and why?
I'm not sure I can pinpoint one yet, but I believe it might be the alien in Alien Isolation, which I'm about to play.

#147 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 20 July 2017 - 10:12 AM

Attached File  boss fight.jpg   22.83K   13 downloads

I forget the name of the game, it was a Lord of the Rings spinoff.  I may have deleted it off of my computer as a piece of popsnizzle because I can't find it.  Might have been War in the North.  I was killing along just fine, knocking down pawns and bosses and then there was this unstoppable mega boss in a small cramped, unescapable room with no cover.  The boss fight was so poorly done so early in the game I was afraid that the rest of the game would also be poorly done so I abandoned it.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#148 Spike

Spike

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 01:58 PM

The Sleeper in Everquest. I have not personally tried to attack The Sleeper, but I did shiver in just the mention of his name. He was the most powerful dragon.

#149 BifBologna

BifBologna

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 05:58 PM

Crawmerax the Invincible, maybe? I mean, it's right there, in his name.

#150 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 06:50 PM

A couple times I have gotten stuck on some boss, even thinking I was doing well, before realizing that the fight would never end until I performed some scripted event.

I may be misremembering but I think Heavy Metal FAKK, Duke Nukem Forever, and one of the Star Trek Voyager Elite Force games were all guilty of this. So I guess my answer to the question is: when the game breaks its own rules to make the boss "special".
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#151 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:41 AM

Probably the final fight of the original Baldur's Gate, I did play it pretty badly initially although I did eventually prioritize targets effectively and get it done. It was ugly though and when it was over, my entire party was dead and I almost was but that only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades so good enough. Role player that I am though, I of course decided that in my version of the story I got everyone resurrected after the fact because you can't venture forth without your party.

#152 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:32 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 21 July 2017 - 01:41 AM, said:

Probably the final fight of the original Baldur's Gate, I did play it pretty badly initially although I did eventually prioritize targets effectively and get it done. It was ugly though and when it was over, my entire party was dead and I almost was but that only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades so good enough. Role player that I am though, I of course decided that in my version of the story I got everyone resurrected after the fact because you can't venture forth without your party.

I was poised to go to that final battle when I installed the BG expansion. I didn't get very far with it, and installing it scales up the final boss to compensate for the increased level cap. So I was faced with doing a lot of work just to get back to the point where I could finish the original game. I never did. (Wish I'd made a backup of the game files before installing the expansion.)

One of the very few games I loved but didn't actually finish.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#153 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:10 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 21 July 2017 - 08:32 AM, said:

I was poised to go to that final battle when I installed the BG expansion. I didn't get very far with it, and installing it scales up the final boss to compensate for the increased level cap. So I was faced with doing a lot of work just to get back to the point where I could finish the original game. I never did. (Wish I'd made a backup of the game files before installing the expansion.)

One of the very few games I loved but didn't actually finish.

I wound up doing the opposite sort of. I went right into the ending and never got around to playing the expansion which I would still like to do sometime with a replay. I did start a new game recently, hoping it would let me dive into the expansion with a pre-fab party just to do it. But no! I could swear in the original it let you do that but in the enhanced edition it doesn't seem to. Anyway, after this much time another trip through with a different class and party choices will be fun if and when I find the time for it. This one is on the very short list of replays I'd like to do so I can see that content too.

Soon after I began a new BG game, PST: EE released so I've just begun that one for now. They did a really nice job with it from the little I've seen so far. I like the UI changes too. They are relatively minor but improve the experience in my opinion. Those wanting the original experience can optionally choose it though.

#154 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:17 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 21 July 2017 - 01:41 AM, said:

Probably the final fight of the original Baldur's Gate, I did play it pretty badly initially although I did eventually prioritize targets effectively and get it done. It was ugly though and when it was over, my entire party was dead and I almost was but that only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades so good enough.

Ditto. Well, I don't remember if this was Baldur's Gate 1 and/or 2, but definitely some of these games last battles were tough.

#155 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:47 PM

I do remember in one of the Tomb Raiders where there was a bug that accidentally made one boss fight nearly impossible and having to download a saved game to pass it.

I actually really like it when you find a sneaky way of avoiding the attacks of a boss and take them out without breaking a sweat.

Anything that means you have to play the same bit over and over whether a boss or tricky sequence gets frustrating fast when you have a backlog and your gaming hours are limited.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, R9 280X 3GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.6

#156 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3779 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:50 AM

View Postnick68k, on 20 July 2017 - 07:57 AM, said:

I remember being stuck on Yxunomei for what felt like an age in the original release of IWD.

She was really hard and took me 20-30 tries, but I did beat her in the end. I lured most of the guards up into the long room above her lair, and then took them on a few at a time as far as was possible. It was one of those fights you could manipulate to your advantage, and try and slither your way out of danger.

#157 EllieFeral

EllieFeral

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:13 AM

Here's a new question for the newsletter, inspired by F1 2017's imminent release on macOS:

What's your favourite car to drive in a game, and why?
Posted Image
                          I'm from Feral Interactive.
Website / Support / Twitter / Facebook / YouTube / Twitch

#158 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3779 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:20 AM

Tanks. Well, duh.

Posted Image

#159 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:54 AM

I agree.  With tanks you don't have to signal your lane changes, stop for lights, or park in the back of the lot.  Hell even a head on with a humvee will buff right out.  My second favorite car to drive would be a Porsche 911.  Classic beauty and precision handling.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#160 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Steam Name:Ian
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:06 PM

Masamune in Rocket League cause it looks like some real Tron future stuff.
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

GOG: ipickert55 Add me!

Zeus - Intel Core i7-5820K 3.30 Ghz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 RAM

Poseidon - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS Seirra 10.12.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB